For those who has taken Orgo in the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eskibot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you feel about it? Was it too fast paced? Was it easier because you only focused on 1 thing? Anything you would have done different?

Im looking to take Orgo 1 in the summer. It will be a 6 week session meeting 3 times a week, 2 hr lecture + 3 hr lab.

But I an also thinking about takin A/P at a community college, this will be a 10 week session meeting 2 times a week for 2 hrs but lab times has not been posted. So i'll have 5 weeks where i'll have to worry about both Orgo and A/P since Orgo starts a week before A/P. Does this seem like a good idea?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

How did you feel about it? Was it too fast paced? Was it easier because you only focused on 1 thing? Anything you would have done different?

Im looking to take Orgo 1 in the summer. It will be a 6 week session meeting 3 times a week, 2 hr lecture + 3 hr lab.

But I an also thinking about takin A/P at a community college, this will be a 10 week session meeting 2 times a week for 2 hrs but lab times has not been posted. So i'll have 5 weeks where i'll have to worry about both Orgo and A/P since Orgo starts a week before A/P. Does this seem like a good idea?

I didn't do it, but my friends who took summer ochem didn't learn it as well.

So I took my university's entire organic chemistry sequence (2 lecture courses and then 1 lab course) this past summer. I was never one to really like chemistry, but I really enjoyed organic. My schedule was a 3 hour lecture then 1 hour recitation every weekday for 4 weeks for all the courses.
I thought it was easier to focus solely on ochem during the summer, but it was a lot of info coming at me all at once. If you could dedicate a good chunk amount of time to studying, you'll be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I took my university's entire organic chemistry sequence (2 lecture courses and then 1 lab course) this past summer. I was never one to really like chemistry, but I really enjoyed organic. My schedule was a 3 hour lecture then 1 hour recitation every weekday for 4 weeks for all the courses.
I thought it was easier to focus solely on ochem during the summer, but it was a lot of info coming at me all at once. If you could dedicate a good chunk amount of time to studying, you'll be golden.

Thanks for the input. I get that it is alot of content being thrown at you. But did you feel like you were able to grasp the concepts and learn the material more efficiently or quicker since you were just doing one course at a time? 3 hrs everyday sounds rough.

Don't do both courses at once. Well, if you don't have a job you should be able to swing it.

I have no job but Im still debating on whether I should do it or not. Out of everyone I talked to, they either said Ochem came easy to them or hard, there wasnt really any middle ground.

I have no job but Im still debating on whether I should do it or not. Out of everyone I talked to, they either said Ochem came easy to them or hard, there wasnt really any middle ground.

In my experience, my peers usually loved one and disliked/hated the other (gen chem v o chem). If you have doubts follow your gut. A&P was fun, just a lotttttt of memorization.

I recommend against taking both for sure. ochem is rough and it's a different way of thinking. I felt like it really required full attention and focus, especially because it builds upon itself so much.

I recommend against taking both for sure. ochem is rough and it's a different way of thinking. I felt like it really required full attention and focus, especially because it builds upon itself so much.

The ONLY reason why I want to take A&P is so I can scribe. I went to a in state medical school that is on the lower side in terms of ranking and had a meeting with the director of admissions. Told her my situation since I am a non-trad student and she suggested scribing to gain more clinical/medical exposure. Theres one company in my area that only requires a 8-12 hr shift every week which requires you to have A&P done. The other 2 companies in my area do not but requires 3 shifts a week.

I know this is a little off topic haha but I really do appreciate your input.

The ONLY reason why I want to take A&P is so I can scribe. I went to a in state medical school that is on the lower side in terms of ranking and had a meeting with the director of admissions. Told her my situation since I am a non-trad student and she suggested scribing to gain more clinical/medical exposure. Theres one company in my area that only requires a 8-12 hr shift every week which requires you to have A&P done. The other 2 companies in my area do not but requires 3 shifts a week.

I know this is a little off topic haha but I really do appreciate your input.

I agree that scribing is a great way to gain clinical exposure and experience, but not at the expense of academics. those come first and foremost, especially with a course like ochem that builds upon itself.

I'm not saying that you can't take both if you really feel like you can handle both, but from personal experience and general consensus, ochem is pretty tough for most people. you could always see how you do the first few weeks and if you feel like you can take the extra courseload, add on A&P. but if there's any doubt, I'd recommend safe instead of sorry and prioritizing academics first. a few weeks' fewer clinical hours won't make or break your application, but a subpar sGPA (especially with the scrapping of grade replacement now) might.

I took OChem over the summer. It is very intense with such an accelerated pace. And the lab is a major time filler. It would be a bad idea to take both if a high GPA is your goal.

Patron Saint of Quantico,

I took Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 during the summer. It was a really fast pace (A-/B+). If you are planning on doing this, I would study with Dr. Klein's Organic Chemistry Book (Amazon product). It is possible, just really hard. PM me for more details.

S/F

Patron Saint of Quantico,

I took Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 during the summer. It was a really fast pace (A-/B+). If you are planning on doing this, I would study with Dr. Klein's Organic Chemistry Book (Amazon product). It is possible, just really hard. PM me for more details.

S/F

Thanks for the input, i was just planning on doing ochem1 in the summer and then ochem 2 in the fall semester

Sounds great, would still recommend that textbook though. Really helpful.

I took organic chem 1 and 2 over a summer and while the classes were definitely accelerated and at times overwhelming, I found that it was a good experience. I wouldn't recommend having a job during that time though. It was definitely possible to get As in those courses, but it will take a lot of time. I found it to be rewarding because I was able to dedicate all my time to only studying organic chem. I wouldn't take both though, because it is in the summer, it should be one or the other.

I loved it in the summer. Knocking it out in 10 weeks versus 32? Yo do the math. Also, focusing on JUST organic is huge. I did substantially better in Orgo than I did in gen chem and I'm not a genius by any means. Do it do it do it do it.

I took organic chem 1 and 2 over a summer and while the classes were definitely accelerated and at times overwhelming, I found that it was a good experience. I wouldn't recommend having a job during that time though. It was definitely possible to get As in those courses, but it will take a lot of time. I found it to be rewarding because I was able to dedicate all my time to only studying organic chem. I wouldn't take both though, because it is in the summer, it should be one or the other.

Yeah I decided to just do Organic 1 in the summer alone.

I loved it in the summer. Knocking it out in 10 weeks versus 32? Yo do the math. Also, focusing on JUST organic is huge. I did substantially better in Orgo than I did in gen chem and I'm not a genius by any means. Do it do it do it do it.

Did you feel like it was an overwhelming amount of information thrown at you? Mine is in 6 weeks instead of 10

Yeah I decided to just do Organic 1 in the summer alone.

Did you feel like it was an overwhelming amount of information thrown at you? Mine is in 6 weeks instead of 10

Is it orgo 1 and 2? I did 1 and 2 in ten weeks.

Ooooh. No its just orgo 1 in 6 weeks

Well then ya that's better than what I had so go for it boss. Just be prepared to work a job minimally and study orgo over your summer break. That is the kicker.

Took both during the summer got A's in lecture and lab. (For reference did not get straight As in prerequisites)

I think what helped was I started a week or two early on the reading before class started so lectures were solidifying what I understand and clarifying what I didn't. I asked a ton of questions during lectures because I knew exactly what I was struggling with. During the semester I was never ahead and always had heavy courseloads dividing my time. Being able to hit the ground running and only have Cohen to focus on made it feel a lot more manageable.

Was a lot of work though, had exams every Monday for 6 weeks for each class. So weekends were all about studying.