For those who have just moved in and have a week or so to kill before orientation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any ideas on what to do?

The idea is to just drive around and get to know the area, but in my panicked/depressed/utterly confused state of mind, I have no idea where to go. One can only go to so many grocery stores...and so many shopping malls. A part of me wants to drive to Philly to visit friends, but that's like 5 hours away. What are you guys doing??? Help!! I don't know anyone here and I don't want to die of boredom when I'm *this* close to killing myself with med school!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what is good to do in the area? Any cool amusement parks or beaches? Is your place set up? Why don't you invite your friends to your place and find stuff to do. I have people coming here in a week, we are going to the zoo, a water park and a concert. Find the awesome coffee shops for studying near campus, and the restaurants too...especially if you have a specific type of food you love. I love Mediterranean food, and I'm still looking for good hommos...

My short term plans include: getting everything unpacked and cleaned, getting a killer tan, getting food reserves for busy study days (I live with my fiance, so not cooking isn't an option), researching doggies to adopt, painting and getting furniture/decor together, watching movies and Scrubs, reading for fun.

That's about it. Don't worry about making this last week extraordinary, it probably won't be, and you'll just tire yourself out to exhaustion if you do some traveling. Unless you're the type that can't sit still, just sit around and relax. Play video games, whatever you enjoy and have to give up for school.

aww, you have people visiting you already??? that's so sweet. I'd do that except my friends are 1.) way too far away and 2.) starting at their respective grad schools. you're right, there are tons of things to explore... and before I drove here, I was soooooo excited about scoping out the coffee shops, gyms, and finding the best study areas, etc. Yet, once I arrived, I just became very depressed and started calling friends back home and talked the night away. It's bad b/c I need to be moving on. I keep telling myself it's only a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i got in to the new city on monday. If you can I would get a hold of some of the people in your class who are also early arrivers. My school set up a blog site for us to get in contact with each other. We have gone out for happy hour and to the bars for the past couple of nights. You can try to look on facebook or your school might be able to help you get in contact with some people.

oompa loompa said:
any ideas on what to do?

If you have a house...

resurface your driveway
paint a room or two
put in new floors

If you live in an apartment...

sleep until noon
eat breakfast
browse the internet
watch Oprah
figure out what books to buy

hahah i like the sleep till noon part, cuz that's not happening once school starts! ya try to get together with the other incoming students and check out what the place has to offer. A lot of cities/towns have free events during the summer.

Darko said:
If you have a house...

resurface your driveway
paint a room or two
put in new floors

Don't forget:

Hunt down the contractor who is supposed to install your gas and water lines for your washer/dryer hookup
Purchase living room furniture that will actually fit through your front door
Mow your lawn, which is starting to resemble the African savannah, complete with stalking lions
Pass out after receiving obscenely high utility bill

LadyWolverine said:
Don't forget:

Hunt down the contractor who is supposed to install your gas and water lines for your washer/dryer hookup
Purchase living room furniture that will actually fit through your front door
Mow your lawn, which is starting to resemble the African savannah, complete with stalking lions
Pass out after receiving obscenely high utility bill

lol

#2) check
#3) check
#4) check

Thankfully we haven't needed to call any professionals yet though <crosses fingers>