For those who have shadowed a doctor...quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUCPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a dumb question but for those who have shadowed a doctor, did anybody give a small gift for the doctor?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is kind of a dumb question but for those who have shadowed a doctor, did anybody give a small gift for the doctor?

Thanks in advance!
I'm sure someone has. Then again, I'm sure at least one person on this forum has offered sexual favors in exchange for an LOR. I have never shadowed, nor do I plan to, so I am probably not the best person to answer your question. However, I don't see an implicit problem with a small thank you note or an inexpensive gift.

A thank you card or a small token gift would be a nice gesture, especially if you have shadowed the doctor for a while. You could also follow up with a thank you card when you get accepted to a med school, thanking the doctor for all the advice/guidance/insert-what-you-want-to-thank-the-doctor-for-here, and letting him/her know about the good news that you got into a med school and will be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do a small token gift...what are they obsessed with? What is their guilty pleasure? Do they have to get a Starbuck's in the morning ($10 gift card or so)? Do they always chew a certain kind of gum (pick up a couple packs and tie them with ribbon)? Just do something thoughtful that is small if you want to give them a token of your appreciation.

After I was done shadowing a neurosurgeon for a month (full-time) I baked a cake for the practice doctors and staff. I think they really appreciated that

Brought some coffeecakes for the department I shadowed. Food is the way into anybody's heart...remember that.

I stuck with a thank you card that had a picture of an amazing lake on it because he was constantly talking about fishing!

I cleaned an organized supply closets and helped the front office staff. It was a way of thanking by offering some of my time as a thank you for time given to me. Several months later I took in a big batch of goodies for the staff, and personal gift baskets for the docs. It was a chance to say hello & to let them know that I still appreciated what they had done for me.