For those who have taken CK, did you need to know inheritance patterns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kristofer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically, did you have any questions that required you to know if it was AD, AR, X-linked, etc. in order to answer the question?

I have done half of UW so far and have yet to see a single question that required the memorization of how the disease is inherited (e.g., what is the risk this couple will have a child with these symptoms...). Other study sources indicate that you need to memorize inheritance patterns.

If this doesn't come up but in one or two questions, it seems like a low-yield waste of time. If it was all over the exam, please let me know otherwise I am sticking with cancer syndrome=AD and moving on.

Members don't see this ad.

Specifically, did you have any questions that required you to know if it was AD, AR, X-linked, etc. in order to answer the question?

I have done half of UW so far and have yet to see a single question that required the memorization of how the disease is inherited (e.g., what is the risk this couple will have a child with these symptoms...). Other study sources indicate that you need to memorize inheritance patterns.

If this doesn't come up but in one or two questions, it seems like a low-yield waste of time. If it was all over the exam, please let me know otherwise I am sticking with cancer syndrome=AD and moving on.

The obvious ones are always liable to come up - e.g. Wilson's, Hemochromatosis, G6PD, etc. I had one or two Paeds questions that didn't explicitly ask for the mode of inheritance, but required that you knew it.