For those who have taken step 2, time management tips to get through blocks fully?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderbread12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have taken practice tests and I usually have a minute to spare with each block.

Any tips for those who have taken it to make sure all questions are reached? I've been hearing that the stems are longer and so I don't want to be in the situation where I am behind on test day.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you could reevaluate how you answering questions. Need to be under a minute to 75 seconds for most questions while practicing in order to give you 15 minutes extra assuming 45 questions. Invariably some of that 15 minutes will be used for extra time reading.

One thing I found helpful, especially on longer stem questions was to take a look at the answers before reading. Invariably, those long stems still give a buzzword to two and once you hit that word, you can stop reading. Conversely, if you read the entire stem and then look @ the answers, they could be asking any random question about pathophys, pharm, biochem, and there is no way you remembered all the different tid bids in the stem.

This obvioulsy doesn't apply to the long stemmed research or ethics questions but if you know you are looking for a type of diabetic medicine in the stem, it makes it easier to narrow your focus.

Agree with the above. More so than step 1 i really started using the read the last 2 sentences first approach. A lot of these questions stems will be SUPER long and describe presentation and symptoms and then give you the diagnosis in the last 2 sentences and ask you for the treatment. Also, if you're not sure, click something that is your best guess and move on. Skip all drug ad/research type of questions and answer them at the end, questions are all weighted the same, no point spending way more time on a few at the expense of others.