For those who have taken the COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have read back into old posts to learn that the COMLEX is a very unpredictable exam. Also that there is hardly any reliable prep material for it.

My question is, how close to the real thing are the NBOME sample exam materials? you know the COMLEX-USA Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Practice Items. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

About COMLEX I, it is true that it is a rather unpredictable exam. When I took the practice NBOME exam, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of questions and the content. But when I took the real thing, it seemed like obscurity was the name of the game. Since the version we took had 800 questions on it, it might be that I only remember the bad questions. Make sure you know your antibiotics and side effects of psych drugs. Knowing path is a given. Not much physiology or anatomy. A few neuroanatomy questions which were rather easy. About OMT, this is the section that I am not sure about. I felt that I could answer appx 60% of the OMT questions comfortably using the knowledge from Savarese, but the rest was pure toss up. I hope this helps. I was worried sick that I did not do well, but I ended up doing allright. If you need any specific questions answered, just send me a private message.

supersars said:
About COMLEX I, it is true that it is a rather unpredictable exam. When I took the practice NBOME exam, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of questions and the content. But when I took the real thing, it seemed like obscurity was the name of the game. Since the version we took had 800 questions on it, it might be that I only remember the bad questions. Make sure you know your antibiotics and side effects of psych drugs. Knowing path is a given. Not much physiology or anatomy. A few neuroanatomy questions which were rather easy. About OMT, this is the section that I am not sure about. I felt that I could answer appx 60% of the OMT questions comfortably using the knowledge from Savarese, but the rest was pure toss up. I hope this helps. I was worried sick that I did not do well, but I ended up doing allright. If you need any specific questions answered, just send me a private message.

Thank you supersars, I will be PMing you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the practice book was pretty helpful. I found the practice questions at a similar level of detail and vagueness as the real thing. Additionally, I think there might have been a few repeats on the real thing. Maybe not verbatim, but very similar. I took a practice CBT exam last February, before I took the real thing, and found that to be pretty helpful too. If you have a chance to do that, I highly recommend it.

supersars said:
Make sure you know your antibiotics and side effects of psych drugs. Knowing path is a given. Not much physiology or anatomy. A few neuroanatomy questions which were rather easy. About OMT, this is the section that I am not sure about. I felt that I could answer appx 60% of the OMT questions comfortably using the knowledge from Savarese, but the rest was pure toss up.

I felt the same way. And get ready for some really sketchy pictures! Hopefully they improved on that with the computerized exam...

luckystar said:
I thought the practice book was pretty helpful. I found the practice questions at a similar level of detail and vagueness as the real thing. Additionally, I think there might have been a few repeats on the real thing. Maybe not verbatim, but very similar. I took a practice CBT exam last February, before I took the real thing, and found that to be pretty helpful too. If you have a chance to do that, I highly recommend it.

Hi

Where do you get the practice CBT? thanks

medhacker said:
Hi

Where do you get the practice CBT? thanks

I believe you do it at your Prometric center, it's a simulation of the actual test day.

medhacker said:
Hi

I have read back into old posts to learn that the COMLEX is a very unpredictable exam. Also that there is hardly any reliable prep material for it.

My question is, how close to the real thing are the NBOME sample exam materials? you know the COMLEX-USA Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Practice Items. Thanks :)

my experience about Level 1:
unpredictable...Yes.
but, to say there is not good materials to prepare for it would not be 100% accurate.
quite a few people i know score above 600, so whatever they're reading, it must have helped.
i've look at the practice exams a few times and i would say the length and difficulty of the questions are very similar. COMLEX is more like a fact exam. you memorize the facts and you will do fine.