For those who have taken the DAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental1187

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, congrats! You all have had some amazing scores lately.

I was wondering for O Chem spectroscopy, is it mostly just NMR and some IR? Has anyone ever seen a UV spec or Mass Spec problem with spectrum? I know the basic principles behind them, but I'm not sure I would be able to interpret Mass Spec or UV if given a figure.

Also, for NMR/IR, is it mostly just the basic functional groups' values you need to know (alcohols, Carboxylic acids, amines, etc) or should we know the values for all the functional groups?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congrats! You all have had some amazing scores lately.

I was wondering for O Chem spectroscopy, is it mostly just NMR and some IR? Has anyone ever seen a UV spec or Mass Spec problem with spectrum? I know the basic principles behind them, but I'm not sure I would be able to interpret Mass Spec or UV if given a figure.

Also, for NMR/IR, is it mostly just the basic functional groups' values you need to know (alcohols, Carboxylic acids, amines, etc) or should we know the values for all the functional groups?

Thanks!

I think I only had one IR and maybe one HNMR on mine. I haven't heard of anyone getting a UV or mass spec but I'm sure someone has or it wouldn't be in Kaplan. My guess is you probably just have to understand what the latter two are without much application if there was a question on them.

I would just make sure to understand splitting, how many signals, downfield, etc. for HNMR and know stuff like N-H, O-H, C=O stretches that have very distinctive IR patterns.