For those who interviewed at MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DolfinGrl11

Kerry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going there next week and I had a few quick questions so if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it!

1) I am taking the shuttle from the airport that takes you directly to the school for the student social thing on Thursday night. Where do I catch this shuttle? They didn't say.

2) I am from Cali and I wanted to know how cold it really is....I want to be prepared :)

3) Any tips?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The weather outlook for Milwaukee is for 20's and 30's temps with rain/snow depending on the day. Wear a winter coat, and hat, gloves, and scarf. If you get cold easily and are a woman, you might opt for a pants ensemble. Wear closed-toe shoes. Buy a coffee or hot cocoa or tea.

That should keep you warm enough. The winter is nothing to be afraid of. There is lots of fun to be had outdoors when it snows in wisconsin, and how nice is it to sit by a fire and drink a brandy (or cocoa for you guys under 21 :)).

We live outside Chicago and get basically the same weather. Maybe a degree or two difference.

The airport is relatively small, and for my group, they told us to meet by Carousel 3 which is really really easy to find. I saw 2 people sitting on a bench who looked around my age, so I just asked them if they were there for the MCW interview and they were, pretty soon we were a big group. You won't have a problem finding the people. USually they're holding garment bags too haha. There's a few benches near the carousel so just sit there and everyone is as worried as you are, so you're OK.

And don't worry, almost everyone who took the shuttle was from california haha. It's like oh im from cali too...yeh same here lol.

Oh, and you might actually meet people who were on the same flight as you! Turns out there had been 7 of us on that same flight into Milwaukee from Denver (and we all had that same flight out the next day).

I totally loved it out there, Everyone is SOO friendly, I had a great time and I met a ton of people. I'm sure you're going to like it. It seems that they like to take care of their students. They're very organized with the student host planning etc etc. PM me if you have any more questions! I was there early november and got accepted a week later.
Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Megboo and Coco! Both of your posts helped a lot! I am sure the day will be a lot of fun :)

Weather: Provided that the weather stays in the 20-30°F range and no precipitation, a coat with pockets and a sweater should suffice. Considering the short blocks of time that you will actually be exposed to the cold, hats and gloves can be inconvenient. And remember, it is all about layering ;)

Tips: The big thing to keep in mind is, and the Director of Admissions will explicitly state this, the admissions committee considers everyone interviewing to be on an even playing field. That's to say, the interviews are supposedly all that matters now. That being said, the interviews are quite laid back. The student interviewer is very conversational while the professor asks the "what would you do in this situation" questions -- the SDN interview feedbacks are great for preparing for these.

Best of luck, and hope to see you in the MCW class of 2010!

MCW is great!

Weather: Like everyone said..it is cold. It has actually warmed up a bit...it was really really cold about a month ago...wear a warm coat...wear a pant suit, flat shoes (you don't want to slip on ice!) etc.

Interview: Really laid back. I litterally sat back and chatted with my student interviewer. I got really worried afterwards because I was SO relaxed...putting elbows on the table, making wise cracks about the area...I'm from New Orleans, college in Mass., moved to milwaukee after college...

Note about milwaukee: It took me a bit of time to realize how much the area has to offer. It may seem really small, and by New York/San Fran. standards it is..but has some great areas, the east side is the more college-y liberal area, there is an arts area, etc. Everything you'd expect from a city but smaller...and rent is cheap! That is why I moved out here, save money for med school...and I fell in love with MCW.

Any questions PM me...I live a block away from the school and know several of the professors (who I knew before I knew they could be my professors...great people who all want the BEST for the students)