For those who interviewed at VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does the whole day last? I need to make a 2:40 amtrak. Is this possible if I schedule the interview for 8:30 or 9? Do most applicants stay with student hosts? Also, if someone happens to know, how long does it take to become a VA resident? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Apparition,

Congrats on the interview. My interview was first thing in the morning (8:30 or 9) and the whole day was done for me at approx 2:15. If you need to catch a train you can cut out of the tour early, it won't be a problem at all (other than you missing part of the tour, but they don't show you anything spectacular).

As far as resident status, you are probably out of luck. Most schools in VA require that you be a resident (voter, live here, pay taxes, driver's licence, etc) for one year prior to enrollment in school. So, unless you already live here, you are probably stuck with out of state tution your whole time here . . . sorry (someone might know more about this than I, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is, you can certainly ask during your interview).

Good luck. If you have any questions about MCV, I have 2 friends there now and am willing to pass on whatever aid I can.

Edit: Don't know anything about student hosts . . . I live too close, didn't need a place to stay.

Dakota said:
Apparition,

Congrats on the interview. My interview was first thing in the morning (8:30 or 9) and the whole day was done for me at approx 2:15. If you need to catch a train you can cut out of the tour early, it won't be a problem at all (other than you missing part of the tour, but they don't show you anything spectacular).

As far as resident status, you are probably out of luck. Most schools in VA require that you be a resident (voter, live here, pay taxes, driver's licence, etc) for one year prior to enrollment in school. So, unless you already live here, you are probably stuck with out of state tution your whole time here . . . sorry (someone might know more about this than I, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is, you can certainly ask during your interview).

Good luck. If you have any questions about MCV, I have 2 friends there now and am willing to pass on whatever aid I can.

Edit: Don't know anything about student hosts . . . I live too close, didn't need a place to stay.

Thanks Dakota!!

Just one more question, how far is the amtrak station from the school? Thanks, again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually if you are married and your spouse works in VA while you're in school you can get in-state tuition if they work for 12 months before the beginning of each school year. So basically they have to work from August 1 - July 31 and then you get in-state tuition. Unless they have a job before you start you'll be paying OOS for two years.

Apparition said:
Thanks Dakota!!

Just one more question, how far is the amtrak station from the school? Thanks, again.

I've never been to the amtrak in Richmond, but doing a quick look on Google earth, it doesn't look terribly far (you will need a cab or something). Any time estimate I'd give would be a total guess . . . any Richmond folks 'round?

My interview was in the morning and the tour ended about 2-2:30. There were 2 people in my group who skipped the tour completely to catch a plane so you should be fine. Good luck. Just don't take my spot. :eek:

Apparition said:
How long does the whole day last? I need to make a 2:40 amtrak. Is this possible if I schedule the interview for 8:30 or 9? Do most applicants stay with student hosts? Also, if someone happens to know, how long does it take to become a VA resident? Thanks!!

Not everyone gets a morning interview, though. When I interviewed there, two of the applicants had their interviews between 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Maybe you should call the school to make sure your time slot doesnt happen to wind up like that.

Dakota said:

I think you are pretty much right about this. Virginia is very strict about residency requirements -- I believe the gist is that you can't become a resident if you came to the state for purposes of education. I went to college in Virginia and couldn't become a resident until after I had worked in the state (and paid income taxes) for one year. As someone else mentioned, I believe there is some sort of loophole if you have a spouse who works in the state. Neighboring states such as North Carolina have much more relaxed residency requirements, I believe.

the amtrak station is about a mile away from the school. just make sure you book your ticket at the correct richmond station (RVM richmond MAIN i believe). i took the train and it was really easy. as far as the residency requirements, in our interview show and tell, they basically told us it's really tough to get in state tuition coming from OOS. the only person she told it might be a possibility was a married man whose wife would be working if they bought a house together. and even then she said it could go either way. hope that helps...