For those who need to fill out the CSS Profile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Kermit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up on financial aid info. Some medical schools require that you complete both the FAFSA and CSS Profile. The FAFSA is used to determine your federal aid and the CSS is a little more detailed. (It asks for more parental information such as assets, property holdings, and 2000-2002 tax information. Obviously the 2002 information are estimates.)

If you're going to submit your parents information for the CSS Profile, then complete the paper version. I registered for the online version and when I came upon the parental section, I was unable to enter data for them since my school, Einstein, does not require parental info on FAFSA, but does require it on the CSS. There is a glitch on the system for CSS. Although they are not affiliated with FAFSA, they do obtain certain information from them such as whether or not a school requires parental data.

(NOTE- On the FAFSA form, you can override being an independent student and complete the information, but you cannot for CSS.)

I wasted $22 because you have to register and pay for CSS before you can start the application. It is non-refundable and now I have to do the paper version and submit a check.

I called the FA office at Einstein and they were not aware of this problem. They just said to go ahead and complete the paper version with parental data. Their recommended date to file all forms is April 1.

Members don't see this ad.