for those who need to vent....here is your thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEV2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...I am going to start this thread off with my own personal frustrations. For the last 3 1/2 years of College I have been busting my ass to get amazing grades and build up a fantastic CV/resume (not trying to say im hot **** or anything) so that when the time comes, I woul be able to apply to med school with confidence. This semester I have dedicated myself to studying for this MCAT, it being the final hurdle that I must jump over before I can actually start on the road to an MD. Now, 4 months later and 15 pounds lighter (no time for the gym) I do not feel as though I have prepared in an effective manner. I have been doing decent on the Kaplan tests (27-30's) and when i look back on my mistakes, most of them have been a result of carelessness. Today I took the AAMC test 9 with the hopes that I would kick its ass and build some confidence again, being less than 2 weeks from the real deal and all. I proceded score a 9 on the PS, a 6 on VR and an 11 (should have been a 12 but again carelessness on my part prevented this) on the BS section. in the PS section, stupid mistakes...in the VR, I started to dose off i think..... I cannot wait till August to take the test. I have invested so much of myself already this semester. All I want is a 30 so that i can enjoy my summer. I want all of this hard work to pay off......words of wisdom anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

not trying to be a downer or anything....just thought I'd see what people's thoughts were, open the thread up to people with something on their mind, etc.

I don't think you are being a downer. We all need to vent at this point. Unfortunately our friends bail at the first site and loved ones can only take so much...so here we are. I bet I can make you feel better....goal 30 also. Most recent practice 11 pts shy....gonna be a wonderful week and a half. I am attacking it head on though. I have done better of course and I plan to do even better. Nice to hear from someone who has a goal of 30 as well though. Kinda tierd of hearing people moan that they can't squeeze more points out of a 38. (good for them though!!)

So I can relate and I hope that makes you feel better. Spent the last four years post bacing at night while working full time. Bombed August MCAT. Took more calsses. Been studying for the past 3 mos just about every chance I got. Not making much (if any) progress after all the sacrifice. Guess what though...I will have all summer to drop tears in my beer, because now...I have an MCAT to conquer!!

After studying all that verbal, my score doesn't go up.....sigh. Crapshoot time :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* I feel your pains... sometimes I feel like I should have waited until the summer MCAT though. I am continually torn between studying for my classes and preparing for the MCAT and granted, my grades are pretty good but seeing where my diagnostic scores are at right now, I should have waited and dedicated my extra time to doing well in my classes.

Get up at 6 am next Friday and dive into 3 full-length practice test and do them til your eyes pop out. You'll feel so much better the next day.

Teerawit said:
After studying all that verbal, my score doesn't go up.....sigh. Crapshoot time :idea:

Same here. I am retaking the MCAT just to improve my VR score, so far I have managed to score 2-3 points higher on my practice test consistently. But that 2-3 points increase is not good enough. Also there is a huge possisbilty that the score on the real one won't improve. Who knows?

Ugly Boy said:
Get up at 6 am next Friday and dive into 3 full-length practice test and do them til your eyes pop out. You'll feel so much better the next day.

back to back...are you crazy. What is the purpose?

What works for me: Take lots of full lengths and then either the same day or the next day go over every problem (even if you got it right) and figure out why you got it right or why you missed it. After a while you'll kind of gain a sense of what a good WRONG answer looks like so you can avoid them.

Taking several full lengths under simulated conditions will get you familiar with the test, being familiar will help your confidence, confidence will help your score, which in turn will help your confidence, which will......you get the point.

I've gone from a 17 the first time I took a (half-length) practice test to consistantly scoring in the 32 range on AAMC/kaplan full lengths, with only minimal studying, just lots of practice tests and review of what I missed.

this is for venting right??

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you.

i'll go.

i've gained 20lbs the past month. (i went from a size 25 -> 27. i had to buy a new pair of jeans because i can no longer button my pants.) :eek:
my scores are regressing. i dropped about 5points since my last full length. :mad:
i'm not finishing verbal on time. oh, and my verbal score SUCKS. :mad:
i used to hit double digits in both sciences but now i can only hit 9. :mad:
my parents took my cell phone away this month because they dont think my 9 hours of studying a day is enough.

i'm begining to think all those hours... all the months i've spent studying... all the weekends i locked myself in my room... was a waste.

my life. our lives. offically. suck. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

someone please take me out of my misery.

thank you.

great. i was the 13th person to post on this thread. how unbelievably appropriate.

i'm sorry. i'm depressed. dont mean to bring people down.

Members don't see this ad :)
starkid said:
i'll go.

my parents took my cell phone away this month because they dont think my 9 hours of studying a day is enough.

Tell your parents to f*ck off...the last thing that you need right now is more stresses/pressures coming from the ones you love. If I have learned anything though this tiring process is that unless your parents have any idea what you are going through (ie;if they are doctors and have taken the MCAT) there is no possible way for them to really understand your situation with regards to this test. My father is a doctor and I still feel like he does not quite understand what I am going through. You have one person to please right now...YOU! If you do the best that you can then there is nothing else that matters. Forget about your parents and what they think you should be doing. forget the friends that try to get you to go out for a few beers, forget your significant other (if applicable) and be selfish for the next week and a half. Get psyched up and kick some MCAT ass....or at least get a couple of good shots in before its all said and done. :smuggrin:

Teerawit said:

it's TOTALLY a crapshoot. my VR score looks like a nice bell curve, where my score now is the same as it was on my first full length before last august's exam. at one point i scored 11s on VR 2 weeks in a row. now i'm back to a 9.

but based on your practice scores, you are MORE than fine. you will probably hit a 36 even if it is the worst day of your life. good luck to ya. :)

and to star, i agree with the previous post. it's hard to tell your parents to f* off, but you need to be doing this one for yourself. and they might not understand it, but you need to tell them that you need all the encouragement you can get at this point. tell them that if they don't have anything nice or encouraging to say, they can talk to you on april 23rd. i'm serious about this one. don't let the negativity get to you. try to relax and focus how much you can kick a** next weekend. :D

I'm of the school of thought that you can over do this. If I was doing 9 hours a day consistantly I don't think I'd be making any progress either.

Explain to your parents that confidence is important. The best thing they can do for you is to trust in you, and support you. And if they don't seem to listen then see JEV2007's post.

starkid said:
great. i was the 13th person to post on this thread. how unbelievably appropriate.

i'm sorry. i'm depressed. dont mean to bring people down.

I'm sorry but when I read your post I couldn't help but laugh...thanks for the smille. I know what you mean, don't worry so much you're probably burned out, take a break.

scentimint said:
it's TOTALLY a crapshoot. my VR score looks like a nice bell curve, where my score now is the same as it was on my first full length before last august's exam. at one point i scored 11s on VR 2 weeks in a row. now i'm back to a 9.

I've stopped doing verbal, and I'm only going to do 2 more practice tests (AAMC 8 and 9.) I recognized that I was amazingly burnt-out, and my scores weren't improving, MOSTLY because I am making stupid mistakes on the tests (not because I don't know the material.) So, I've decided to stop taking practice tests (I was taking 3 - 4 a week before,) review my weaker areas (again, my knowledge is pretty strong, so this isn't really a big deal,) listen to Audio Osmosis over-and-over again, and start getting a good night's sleep (8 hours+ every night) so that I can relax and stress about things less. At this point, I think that chilling out will go further toward helping our scores than mad-cramming, but everybody is different, I suppose.

Good Luck All,

Jota

venting is fun... i totally have not worn my "nice" pairs of jeans/pants in about 3 months.... im too scared to see how much chub i've put on... i wear sweats and pajama pants all the time.... haha... i think i went from a size 2 to a 6 :barf: as soon as this is over, imma start running ten miles a day ....

i can't study anymore, i look at my material and it makes me sick... someone told me that's a sign i'm ready. hahaha... i dont know abou that....

goodcook said:
I can't break 20! I've gotten 20's on the last three kaplan full lengths. If I get another 20 I'm going to cry. Should I wait until August to take it?

At this point you should NOT be taking Kaplan Full-Lengths, in my opinion. If you score the same on AAMC full-lengths, you probably want to wait until Aug.

MasterMD said:
i think i went from a size 2 to a 6 :barf: as soon as this is over, imma start running ten miles a day ....

let's diet together! i'm so going to rock my jeans again after the friggin exam. goal: get back down to 98lbs after i KILL the mcat.
(uhh... i think my last night depression turned into my current aggression.) anyway...

in terms of my parents.... i've decided to ignore them. i realize they're anxious just as much as i am.. but you're right. i'm doing this for ME. i want to be a doctor because that's my dream.. it has nothing to do with them. i just happen to live with them currently and they're my ATM right now.

ok. it's study time. do or die, right?

starkid said:
let's diet together! i'm so going to rock my jeans again after the friggin exam. goal: get back down to 98lbs after i KILL the mcat.
(uhh... i think my last night depression turned into my current aggression.) anyway...

in terms of my parents.... i've decided to ignore them. i realize they're anxious just as much as i am.. but you're right. i'm doing this for ME. i want to be a doctor because that's my dream.. it has nothing to do with them. i just happen to live with them currently and they're my ATM right now.

my parents are kinda like that too... so i just dealt with it by saying "ok" to everything haha... afterall after my grades had a little slip last semester they did get to say "i told you so" that i was doing too many activities... anyway... now ive been able to make them zip it up by doing well on practice tests... so if im watching two hours of tv a day and they say something... i just say "what did i get on the last two practice tests? oh yeah that's right .... LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!" :laugh:

starkid said:

i hope you're joking about the 98 lbs...unless you're under 5 feet tall...that doesn't seem like a healthy weight to hope for.

scentimint said:
i hope you're joking about the 98 lbs...unless you're under 5 feet tall...that doesn't seem like a healthy weight to hope for.

haha yeahhhh.... 98 lbs does seem a bit light!!! im thinking like 110 or something haha....

JEV2007 said:
My father is a doctor and I still feel like he does not quite understand what I am going through.

haha i think being a doctors kid is worse cause 1. there is added pressure to succeed 2. my parents have some sort of narcissistic urge to tell me that i cant make it, something about being a parent and being dominant :rolleyes:

scentimint said:

i'm 5'1 so no, i'm not joking. i wish i were joking about my 20lb gain though.... :barf: haha. how inappropriately fitting this smiley is.

no, i'm don't have an eating disorder. i'm not an anorexic or a bulimic. it's just my weird sense of humor kicking in. :p

JEV2007 said:
Ok...I am going to start this thread off with my own personal frustrations. For the last 3 1/2 years of College I have been busting my ass to get amazing grades and build up a fantastic CV/resume (not trying to say im hot **** or anything) so that when the time comes, I woul be able to apply to med school with confidence. This semester I have dedicated myself to studying for this MCAT, it being the final hurdle that I must jump over before I can actually start on the road to an MD. Now, 4 months later and 15 pounds lighter (no time for the gym) I do not feel as though I have prepared in an effective manner. I have been doing decent on the Kaplan tests (27-30's) and when i look back on my mistakes, most of them have been a result of carelessness. Today I took the AAMC test 9 with the hopes that I would kick its ass and build some confidence again, being less than 2 weeks from the real deal and all. I proceded score a 9 on the PS, a 6 on VR and an 11 (should have been a 12 but again carelessness on my part prevented this) on the BS section. in the PS section, stupid mistakes...in the VR, I started to dose off i think..... I cannot wait till August to take the test. I have invested so much of myself already this semester. All I want is a 30 so that i can enjoy my summer. I want all of this hard work to pay off......words of wisdom anyone?

first off, you have to relax. i honestly dont think you will score badly. it seems like you have put in enough effort thus far. but what will hinder you on test day is not your inadequate knowledge or test taking skills, but your lack of confidence and stressed out mental state. First of all, I would suggest understanding that you will not be able to pull off anything monumental from now until test day. so the best approach would be to relax, solidify/reinforce, do practice questions. get some sleep. get enough sleep! stop stressing yourself out...you will do well. and if by some fluke that doesnt happen to your standards, you can always retake the test. life will in fact go on. just remember, many many many people, stupider than you, have taken and survived this test. and by the way, its not the "final hurdle" :) just to let you know, when i took the test, i wasnt scoring nearly has high as i wanted/had been previously scoring. four days before the test i was in tears and looking towards putting it off. but luckily i have a support system -parents/brother-who helped me put things into perspective and helped relieve the stress. you can do it!!!!!!! :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

nocturnalraj said:
first off, you have to relax. i honestly dont think you will score badly. it seems like you have put in enough effort thus far. but what will hinder you on test day is not your inadequate knowledge or test taking skills, but your lack of confidence and stressed out mental state. First of all, I would suggest understanding that you will not be able to pull off anything monumental from now until test day. so the best approach would be to relax, solidify/reinforce, do practice questions. get some sleep. get enough sleep! stop stressing yourself out...you will do well. and if by some fluke that doesnt happen to your standards, you can always retake the test. life will in fact go on. just remember, many many many people, stupider than you, have taken and survived this test. and by the way, its not the "final hurdle" :) just to let you know, when i took the test, i wasnt scoring nearly has high as i wanted/had been previously scoring. four days before the test i was in tears and looking towards putting it off. but luckily i have a support system -parents/brother-who helped me put things into perspective and helped relieve the stress. you can do it!!!!!!! :)

Appreciate it :thumbup:

venting post right?..........Ok...............I hate my sister, she is so freaking annyoing and with 1 week left for the MCAT, I just pray I wont blow...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...........AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Thank you! now back to verbal reasoning 4...........

im soooo worried im going to get to it and BLANK... that has happened to me on final exams before... :scared:

Crap AAMC 8 has just delivered a critical blow to my PS skills. This is how I feel:

DA:OB HNAD:gklvnf;lkgbNDSl;bkSFN;blS
dfkalsdjf;alkdsjfkl;adsfj;adslk jvsdkl;vnasf;ljk gqioprwGHwiopRH WRIOHgSFOKH: bSFNjkbNSFONHgkWNbohjSFN:LKbnFSB;lkSNFb;lkNXFb;lkZDSFNb;g RJ;jiJIGs{diHVOISDF

dreambig2night said:
venting post right?..........Ok...............I hate my sister, she is so freaking annyoing and with 1 week left for the MCAT, I just pray I wont blow...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...........AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Thank you! now back to verbal reasoning 4...........

So what did your sister do? ;)

oxeye, your little one is SO cute! :)

i'm amazed that you can get as much studying and practicing in as you have been with a baby around. you'll kick some major butt next saturday. best of luck!

scentimint said:
oxeye, your little one is SO cute! :)

i'm amazed that you can get as much studying and practicing in as you have been with a baby around. you'll kick some major butt next saturday. best of luck!

Thanks scentimint. :) She's such an easy-going baby so it's not as hard as it sounds. I just take advantage of nap time for my studying most of the time. My 2.5 year old is the one that makes things difficult. If you've ever spent time with a two year old, you'll understand why. :laugh:

Beautiful pic oxeye, your baby is adorable. I have my adv phys , chem , bio and hist exams in less than a month, i am totally clueless when it comes to mechanics, chem is better btw anyone know what a perpertual motion machine is and how you'd go about designing one, bio is the best so far i have done almost all the past papers and feel condident about that just some additional revision and i'll be good to go, chem is alot its such an intense course to do in 8 months and the labs are so fustrating. Phys is going to kill me and to think i only did phys to get into med school so therefore i need an A this requires a miracle. Ok back to study .its do or die time. I hope everyone else is better off in terms of studying and past papers, dont worry i'm sure you'll do fine

supernova33418 said:
btw anyone know what a perpertual motion machine is and how you'd go about designing one

A device in which the output work equals the input work or more(the % efficiency is 100% or greater). Can't design it; the laws of thermodynamics prohibit it.

Teerawit said:
A device in which the output work equals the input work or more(the % efficiency is 100% or greater). Can't design it; the laws of thermodynamics prohibit it.

word. it's probably a trick question. just explain that to your physics lab professor. :)

AURGH!!! so i took AAMC 7 today and got a 13 13 10... 10 in verbal (i could have done better but i made some really dumb mistakes) and this is a really good score to me!!! i told my parents and my dad said... "good. now on your practice test tomorrow try to focus more and get your score up a little bit more and you'll be all set." WTF!!!! :mad:

here's my vent... I get my kaplan writing sample from the previous week back, and see that it wasn't scored because it was "illlegible"... I showed it to the two people next to me and had them read it, both had no problem... I ask the proctor how the hell I can get it scored and she had no other answer than to go to the kaplan HQ in ann arbor... an hour away! This is not what I paid 1500 bucks for!

I got a 5 and a 6 on the other test I had scored so I'm not worried, but feel like Kaplan was ripping me off.

MasterMD said:
AURGH!!! so i took AAMC 7 today and got a 13 13 10... 10 in verbal (i could have done better but i made some really dumb mistakes) and this is a really good score to me!!! i told my parents and my dad said... "good. now on your practice test tomorrow try to focus more and get your score up a little bit more and you'll be all set." WTF!!!! :mad:

that is a beautiful score. Don't let your parents add to your stress--just block it all out and remain confident--you are gonna kick some major a$$

My Brain Is About To Explode

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh