For those who recently got scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys post how you felt you did after the exam and how it actually came out?
Were you surprised with your score versus practice? Dissappointed?
Your thought on the level of difficulty of your exam?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I don't think it's possible to walk of an MCAT feeling confident about yourself. Taking practice MCATs and getting your score right away is obviously not a good simulator of the 30 day wait you'll have to endure to get your scores back. On practice tests, it's easier for you to dismiss your doubts and guess with confidence, but on the real thing every doubt is magnified. For this reason, I felt pretty scared coming out of the actual MCAT because I wasn't sure about a few questions.

Luckily, unless extenuating circumstances prevail, you're probably going to score within 3 to 4 points either up or down of your last practice test. I also find that the trend usually leans towards getting a score that is very close to your last practice.

I walked out of the exam clueless. I felt like I probably did well on some passages and anyone's guess on others. In my gut I was thinking I probably scored a 28 or 29.

I was very surprised by my score versus my practice exams. My AAMC practice exams were 30, 29, 29, 29 (3R, 8, 9, 10). My real MCAT is a 33.

I thought the exam was more difficult than the practice exams. I ran out of time on the PS section, which never happened in practice. The BS section had an organic passage that wasted me. Verbal was on par.

When I came out of the test, I had mixed feelings. I felt better than when I first took the MCAT (last August, when I got a 31o, 12p 8v 11b) in every section, however, by no means did I feel good. I felt like the physical was not terrible, but still harder than normal (it is usually my strong subject), I felt like bio was mostly not bad except some random really hard indep questions, and I felt verbal was difficult but not terribly bad (and I finished, so that was good... didn't even come close to finishing in august). Overall, I felt alright, like I did pretty well, but by no means the best that it could have gone

On practice tests, I scored between 35-40, so I was expecting somewhere in that range, but probably on the lower range because it was harder than all of my practice tests. I ended up getting a 37Q... 13 p, 11 v, 13 bio... so all in all, I did slightly better than expected... point of this story is that I still didn't feel all that greaet (just felt "alright") but ended up with a great score :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Kids -
I'm an old withered senior SDNer and probably have no business posting in here, but on the off chance that I might spare a few earnest souls out there from getting completely discouraged and down on themselves by the outlying gunners who post in threads like this...

Don't pay too much attention to threads like this. A few people will post their above average scores and feel real proud of themselves, the remaining 90% will - like me - modestly pocket their scores, apply quietly and efficiently - and get into med school.

My point - whatever you get, you can reach your goals, so don't get discouaraged and don't give up! :luck:

Hi Kids -
I'm an old withered senior SDNer and probably have no business posting in here, but on the off chance that I might spare a few earnest souls out there from getting completely discouraged and down on themselves by the outlying gunners who post in threads like this...

Don't pay too much attention to threads like this. A few people will post their above average scores and feel real proud of themselves, the remaining 90% will - like me - modestly pocket their scores, apply quietly and efficiently - and get into med school.

My point - whatever you get, you can reach your goals, so don't get discouaraged and don't give up! :luck:

Woah, easy with the "kids" remarks. I'm probably older than you are. Talk about gunners posting good scores, what about starting threads talking down to everyone...

I agree with your "don't give up" message, though.

Woah, easy with the "kids" remarks. I'm probably older than you are. Talk about gunners posting good scores, what about starting threads talking down to everyone...

I agree with your "don't give up" message, though.

Enjoy being considered a kid while you can! :D

Actually, I'm on my peds rotation right now so I think it's just a relfex at this point....

I thought I got a 13 in PS, anywhere between a 9-11 in VR, and 12 or 13 in BS.

The VR was very fast...I actually didn't finish, and I made a couple stupid errors in BS. I thought WS was pretty much the same as last time.

Kaplan Diagnostic 8PS 9VR 10BS (27)
Aug. 06 - 13PS 6VR 12BS S (31S)
Jan. 07 - 13PS 9VR 12BS T (34T)

Hi Kids -

I agree. It's partly the luck of the draw. Must apply broadly...even a 35 and above does not guarantee anything....far too many applicants!