For those who scored above a 33: Is EK enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbruinz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, for all those who scored above a 33:

Do you guys think that studying SOLELY with ExamKrackers will be enough to get a 33+? Which books you highly recommend to be used in conjunction with EK?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is enough. I am non-trad and got a 38 with EK books alone. And that was while I was taking Bio II and before I took Org II.

I also got a 38 using EK alone. With the mcat, though, the more sources you can use probably the better. I remember people saying that one of the discretes on my test was never covered in kaplan but was covered in ek. Could have just as easily been the other way around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the MCAT so I don't know how I did yet (I hope it's as high as those other two posters! :D) I took a Kaplan course but mainly reviewed physics (my weakest area) and chem using EK books. I used only EK for physics and supplemented chem with Kaplan books. Then I used Kaplan materials for bio because I liked how detailed they were (I'm a non-trad, non-bio major). Anyway, I noticed that after studying the EK books and taking AAMC practice tests, all the theoretical questions were covered by EK books. The real deal was physics-heavy and nothing in the PS section looked intimidating, thanks to EK! :)

I would supplement EK with some other review material so you can cross-reference topics that may be difficult for you. Good luck! :luck:

I also got a 38 using EK alone. With the mcat, though, the more sources you can use probably the better. I remember people saying that one of the discretes on my test was never covered in kaplan but was covered in ek. Could have just as easily been the other way around.

Second

If funds are sufficient you could use:
Kaplan
TPR
EK
Barons
Gold Standard
and textbooks

well, my plan was to know just one set of prep books VERY well. But it seems one set may not be enough.

^^ dude, that list seems a bit too encompassing. :D

I would like to add to my previous comment: Get the EK books, the 1001 questions for each topic and buy all the AAMC MCATs online from emcat.whatever

EK is definately a good set of books. Make sure you get the 1001 questions books (and actually use them).

EK is good, but I don't think is enough. You will get the info down in a very concise manner, but as someone else said....EK says something is not on the MCAT until it shows up. I can do that...EM won't be on there...some people won't get it and go YAY EK, some will and go DAMN YOU. I mean with 14 different versions of the test, everyone is bound to get something EK said won't be on there. Go with Kaplan or TPR for content review. They are the most comprehensive and baller. Yes there will be things you won't need to know, but when test day comes...who cares.

Is it possible to do all the 1001 series questions for all the subjects...or is that too much?

The physics explanations are a bit lacking, if its not a strong subject for you IMO.

i would say Kaplan, TPR and EK. i used those and i got a 40. do alot of practice tests. it wouldnt hurt to over study.
good luck. :)

i would say Kaplan, TPR and EK. i used those and i got a 40. do alot of practice tests. it wouldnt hurt to over study.

So when you say use Kaplan and TPR, do you mean taking their courses or simply buying their books? Is the content given in the courses different than the books found on amazon?

In my opinion, that's the biggie. It far, far outweighs whose test prep materials you use. ;):thumbup:

so is it worth it to take the Kaplan course so that I can get access to their online materials and their prep content?

so is it worth it to take the Kaplan course so that I can get access to their online materials and their prep content?

I have a friend who ended up obtaining the books by other means rather than signing up for the class...

my other friend signed up for the 1700 class to get the material but never went to a single lecture, but he did go to the saturday full lenght exams i beleive

Is it possible to do all the 1001 series questions for all the subjects...or is that too much?

The book recamends doing every third or fifth question. It also suggests using the 1001 question books more a tool to build knowledge not so much practice what you already know. I guess b/c the questions aren't in MCAT format. BIO1001 however is and I highly recomend it....a must have. After doing six passages on Biochem I felt confident in that subject.

In the rest of the 1001s you will notice that the questions are very similar so doing every three makes sense.

The question you poise is a double edged sword.

What works for one person might not work for another person depeinding on one's weaknesses and strengths.

If you are weak in Verbal, I'd recommend using EK 101 and trying EK strategy or some variation of it that works best for you.

If you are weak in any of the sciences some of the good resources include any of the Kaplan Full lengths, discrete tests, or topical tests.

Other then that the TPR science workbook is good.

For just review of the material but not MCAT style questions, EK review books are good. Actually the 30 min. exams are good too.

Of 3 friends of mine, one who got a 35R, and 2 who got a 31, this is what each did:

The one with a 35R used the TPR course but did a combo of using EK and TPR review books and doing some of the EK stuff in the review books. Used EK 101 for VR. She however obtained Kaplan tests from other means and used the Kaplan tests and TPR tests and AAMC tests, but focused in mostly on the Kaplan and AAMC exams for practice and used that to bring her score up. She also did the TPR workbook for the sciences.

She said whatever she used she did them all twice. Once timed and the second time just did it to make sure she understood it after she'd gone over it.

Of the two who got a 31, both took kaplan course so they did all the Kaplan materials and AAMC exams. Used EK for verbal and kaplan and EK for sciences.

Another friend who got 30 used EK alone and only EK.

How much material you use depends on your understanding of the material and test taking skills. For some gifted test takers, EK alone is enough to get a 38 or above. For others who have forgotten much of the material it is not.

I used both kaplan and EK. Especially the 30min tests at the end of the book and the subject and topical tests for kaplan