Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

For those who think 60 degrees is cold...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MrBurns10, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm just curious, is weather going to play a factor in your med school decision? I know people say this is ridiculous and I'm honestly trying to eliminate weather considerations from my mind, but the truth is I'm usually in a better mood when it's warm and sunny than when I can't feel my extremities. If given the choice between a school in a cold environment that you really liked and/or has a great reputation (if this is important to you) and a school in a warm environment but you didn't like it as much or it's not as well known (again, if this is important to you), which would you choose?

It's "feels like 31" here...time to go parka shopping.

2. CTG

CTG Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    School u love.... u can move to warm weather later. But, honestly, I understand your dilemma.

3. angietron3000

angietron3000 *black magic soul power*
    10+ Year Member

Hehe, I happen to like sunbathing in November, weather will definitely influence my final decision..

4. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

If I didn't have to stay in the northeast for personal reasons, weather would be a major factor. I can't tolerate cold despite living in a cold climate all my life. I basically hibernate Nov - April because I can't do anything when I'm cold.

5. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

I got stuck in a 40 degree torrential downpour the other night walking home from the grocery store in Boston, when that morning I had woken up in Miami. I spent the entire mile home cursing everything and everyone north of the Mason Dixon.

This morning I also remembered the horrors of getting out of the shower in 30 degree weather.

I can't even believe what a pansy Florida made me, but I'm finding out there is a lot of truth to how much good weather changes a person.

6. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

On the upside though, by January in the northeast, I am definitely so white that I can see all of my internal organs through my skin. Which may help on exams.

7. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

You'll be a very popular guy to sit around during the exams.

8. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There's a difference between 40 and overcast and 40 and sunny. Here in sunny Colorado, you can still wear nothing but a sweatshirt and jeans when it's 40 and sunny out (as has happened these past five days). But growing up in PA, winter was cold and grey. Cold and overcast = depressed. Cold and sunny = happy, fun, snowmen, skiing, life as usual and DRY ROADS (yay! :) )

It's definitely the sun that helps your disposition, not necessarily the cold ruining it.

9. PneoDr

PneoDr Member
    5+ Year Member

Mayo is too cold for me.

10. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I gotta say, anywhere that has more than 3 months of real "winter" was stricken from my application process. Bye bye Chicago. However, I do like at least a LITTLE winter, and I'm tired of it being 80 degrees the week before Thanksgiving. Stupid So-Cal. Gimme a Seattle or a Washington DC or a San Francisco any day. Fog & rain I can handle, but snow I can only do in small doses. :)

11. MrBurns10

Resident [Any Field]
    See that's the problem. Two schools I'm really considering and really liked when I visited are in northern Ohio and western PA...not exactly the sunniest of winters, you know? I just don't want to be a miserable bum for 4 months.

12. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

I'm a San Diegan headed to Rochester in December... :eek:

13. erin682

erin682 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't apply any where north of the mason-dixon line. I can't handle cold.

14. dilated

dilated Fought Law; Law Won
    10+ Year Member

Oh hell yes. My enthusiasm for Chicago schools dropped markedly after I discovered their winter is even colder than the horribly cold Western PA winter where I grew up (PA in jan: avg 24 degrees, Chi average ... 20 frickin degrees + wind).

C'mon Emory, c'mon Emory, daddy needs a new pair of flipflops. :p

15. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I absolutely think that cold weather should be a definite negative when thinking about which schools to apply to/attend...

You'll leave more spots at Mayo, Penn, Yale, Pritzker, etc., for this frozen tundra girl! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 15+ Year Member

It's just 4 years. :smuggrin:

17. medgator

medgator Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Remember guys.... its only 4 years, and then you can have another chance to change locations again during residency. I was a Florida boy my whole life until now in residency.... Im in PA and its 28 degrees outside and it sucks. I know I eventually want to move back to FL, so thats helping to make this weather a little more bearable.

18. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got one thing to say: God bless California! Viva Los Angeles! :D That said, 98% possibility I will have to attend medical school somewhere in the Midwest. Those UC schools aren't exactly begging me to go. Time to go parka shopping!

19. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

I even thought Gainesville was cold.

20. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah it can get cold. There were a few stretches in january where it would be in the 20s in the AM. People up north were suprised to hear 20 degrees and Florida in the same sentence.

Conversely, it can get insanely hot in the summer, even more than miami IMO. (not on the ocean, so weatherwise its more extreme :( )

21. ucsdmd2b

ucsdmd2b Member
    7+ Year Member

I've lived in California my whole life, I even manage to get cold in San Diego. Since my chances at any of the UC's are pretty non-existant, I know I'll have to adjust to either freezing cold or horrible humidity. Oh well, it is only 4 years...

22. veenut

10+ Year Member

for those of you from california who end up in a colder region, try not to complain to others about how much the weather sucks compared to back home. i knew a few people from cali at my undergrad in NYC who wouldn't shut up about that, even during the reasonably mild winters. no one feels sorry for you, you spoiled baaastards. if you're going to complain about how cold it is when you end up at rochester, go to the caribbean instead. that is all.

23. Nikki2002

Medical Student
    yeah...when i was walking across campus today, it felt like i was skinny dipping in arctic waters. not a nice feeling.

24. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

That's hilarious, because part of the reason I'm attracted to schools like UMich and Mayo is the location. I went to high school in WI, but undergrad in the South and I've really been missing the snow. I almost didn't apply to Baylor, because I didn't want to go somewhere without four seasons...

25. psufan

psufan Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    But without snow you can't have snowboarding or skiiing...plus I enjoy having four distinct seasons...it keeps things interesting... :D

26. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hmm, im used to 45 degree winters and 100 degree summers. i had interviews in the north but avoided the cold season. i guess im just hoping for the best when i have to experience long, harsh winters. no recourse either, as i didnt apply anywhere warm. at least summers will be bearable. as someone said, sun vs overcast is also a very important consideration. i think overcast has negative psychological and maybe even physiological effects

27. MrBurns10

Resident [Any Field]
    My ideal: 75 degrees for 11 and 1/4 months, then powdery snow for 3 weeks. Sign me up.

But seriously, I have equatorial genes and I'm from Florida. Anything below 60 calls for a jacket.

28. NikoNLS8

NikoNLS8 Member
    7+ Year Member

come to McGill, where in january it gets to 0 F (no thats not a typo) and when it turns 25 we leave our jackets at home.

29. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    :eek:

30. kalenakai

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am a Hawaiian heading to New York, Philadelphia, Hanover, and Boston in mid-January (the dead of winter). Talk about drastic weather changes!

It makes staying home at the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine so much more appealing ;)

31. coco

coco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anything below 60 calls for a sweater and a scarf and mittens! lol...i hope I get to stay in California! :oops:

32. PhotoMD

PhotoMD Rad!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I understand UM and Mayo are colder, but it was pretty frigid in NYC today. Something about a 30-degree drop in a week that does that...

33. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    lol, DarkSide, and there I was thinking you were such an altruist. ;) In all seriousness, if I end up somewhere cold, I'll get a parka and suck it up. :p

34. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza

Resident [Any Field]
    Jeez all you California nancies...

35. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you're gonna get a slap in the face when you get off that plane :smuggrin:

36. Hi!

i'm about to go to chicago in december for an interview and i know it's going to be really cold. since i've lived my entire life in the south, will my interview suit be enough to keep me warm? do i need to buy .... more clothes? call me naive, but i see people on tv with these jackets/trenchcoats over their suit and i was just wondering if that's necessary.

Thanks!

37. Overeducated

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    recommendation from a californian: long/thermal underwear + suit + trenchcoat :)

38. NiteOwl

NiteOwl Geek
    10+ Year Member

If I don't get accepted to any in-state schools, I hopw I get accepted somewhere cold. I hate the weather here in Alabama. It is hot as hell from about May-September. Then winter is hardly ever cold enough. The sissys here start bundling up in scarves, mittens, and heavy coats when its gets 50 degrees. And when there is mention of even a dusting of snow, all hell breaks loose and all the rednecks run to the store and hoard all the milk and bread (why they only buy milk and bread is a bit puzzling...). I want to go somewhere where it actually gets cold and snowy, and where people don't panic when there is mention of snow. Seriously, I hate this warm and sunny crap that occurs most of the year here.

39. No kidding! I'm all about the thermals under my regular clothes. People need to get themselves some under armour! :idea:

40. Overeducated

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wore that stuff to my Vermont interview where it was ~40 degrees--it worked well.

41. my goodness... sorry we southerners irritate you so much. we don't see snow very often so it's exciting for us. last year it snowed in houston for the first time in over a decade and plus it was christmas day. it was exciting! i don't exactly go buy milk and bread but cold weather days (as rare as they are) are one of the few chances to break out any winter clothing that's in the closet all year.

42. obgyny

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I LOVE THE COLD!!!!

I was born and raised in CA with mediocre weather, then I moved to FL for the last 2 yrs. Then I decided to move back to CA because FLORIDA SUCKS. It's not the degrees (I love Palm Beach when it's like 110 degrees), it's the humidity!!!! It sucks the life out of you. And it's summer for 10mo each year. It gets pretty old. Then for 2 weeks in the winter, it's like 20 degrees at night and 40 degrees during the day. Not to mention the humidity put me in the hospital for an asthma attack 2 months after I moved there. I don't have to take as much medication in CA.

I've been back in CA for 6 months now and 60 seems freezing to me (at least compared to 95 with extreme humidity). But I'm still adjusting.

43. MrBurns10

Resident [Any Field]
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way! But I'm still curious if you all would choose a school you liked less and/or was lower ranked if the weather was right over a school that you liked more and/or was highly ranked but the weather sucked (either was too cold for us southern folk or too hot for you northerners)? Or would you just suck it up for 4 years?

44. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll admit; I'd be tempted to take someplace like University of Michigan over Baylor just because of the weather, but I doubt I'm going to get that choice :laugh:

45. I think I would like a change in scenery after 22 years in the south. Afterall, that's what life's about right?

46. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe *you* are a sissy Yankee? But with heat instead of cold?? It *is* hot here, but that is why god invented sweet tea & air conditioning.

Try moving to just about any place in Ohio, if you don't like sun and moderate weather in your winter. I did a year of gradschool there and nearly died from the weather. 70% of my department was on antidepressants! (or rather 70% would admit to it...) Enjoy the depressing eternally grey skies & the dirty snow. Thank god for the schizophrenic but typically comfortable Alabama weather!

You are dead on about the rednecks and the milk/bread thing though. "Oh my god, the sky is falling....lets go buy bread!!" WTF!!?

47. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Ha ha, we're the same way here in FL with hurricanes. And it makes absolutely no sense, because what is the first thing that happens when the hurricane hits? Why, we lose our power, and those gallons of milk promptly spoil. :smuggrin:

I used to love it in B'ham when it snowed. It only does it like once or twice a year, and then it melts after just a day or two. Plus, since it's uncommon, school gets closed and so do a lot of businesses. It feels like being a kid and getting an unexpected day home from school due to bad weather. :D

48. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Takin it day by day
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm from VA. when applying to undergrad I didn't even consider anywhere north of the mason-dixon line.. I just can't handle the cold. But for med school, I'll take whatever I can get. Almost all the schools I applied to are in the Northeast this time around. But I did think about the weather when I was first applying.

49. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

what do you think med school is, a pleasure cruise? yeah chicago is very cold in the winter, and the winter lasts a while, but it's a great motivator for staying indoors and studying. And there's a decent bit of sunshine through much of the winter (which i agree with others, is more important than the temperature in inducing feelings of depression). the awesome summers in chicago (not too humid and no AC necessary) somewhat make up for this.

florida, on the other hand, is so humid that it indeed sucks the life out of you (as someone above put it). if you don't stay properly hydrated and get good doses of AC throughout the day around the summer months, you will feel pretty sluggish. that's not so good for studying, although it gives one little cause for feelings of depression.

that said, i'm still looking to head northeast for med school. i've put in too many years with extreme weather, dmmit. i deserve, nay demand, "normal" seasons!!!

50. NiteOwl

NiteOwl Geek
    10+ Year Member

No, its the southerers that think that think they are going to freeze to death when it gets 50 outside that irritate me. And the ones who who go "thank God it isn't snowing". I don't get why so many people here hate snow. I love being able to wear my winter clothing and stuff, the part I hate is that its never cold enough here to do so.

51. NiteOwl

NiteOwl Geek
    10+ Year Member

I have lived in Alabama all 20 years of my life. Maybe you are right about the yankee thing though, my mom jokes that I was swiched at birth and am actually a northerner because I don't have much of a southern accent and dislike collard greens and some other "country foods".

I like grey skies in the winter. Because typically, if it is sunny, it is going to make it warm outside. I like cold winters. Not necissarily grey skies everyday and I would rather have pretty white snow rather than dirty snow. But if I had the choice of winter being sunny all the time or cloudy all the time, I would choose cloudy.

Sorry, I just love cold weather. You can always add layers and bundle up if is cold, but there is only so much you can take off when its hot.