For those who took in April, when you plan to study MCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jxu66

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that the release date should be around June 15. The August test date is two months after that. Is that long enough to catch up again? Right now, I can't even think about MCAT. I also have finals next week. However, I may start studying MCAT again around May 15. That's three months additional study. August test represents last chance for us to apply fall 2005. Is anybody plan to do the same thing as I do or should we wait until the score is released?

By the way, I thought I did ok (definitely not the worst) on April test. But I am not sure the score.

Members don't see this ad.

jxu66 said:
I think that the release date should be around June 15. The August test date is two months after that. Is that long enough to catch up again? Right now, I can't even think about MCAT. I also have finals next week. However, I may start studying MCAT again around May 15. That's three months additional study. August test represents last chance for us to apply fall 2005. Is anybody plan to do the same thing as I do or should we wait until the score is released?

By the way, I thought I did ok (definitely not the worst) on April test. But I am not sure the score.

10 weeks (exactly) before the MCAT date. But, I'm not planning on retaking in August, no matter what.

I'm waiting until I get my scores in June. Since you've already studied for 2-3 months for the April one the info should still be fresh in your mind. So, I think that 2 months is more than enough to review and do a little more practice before taking it again. You should concentrate on your application now, not a test you may or may not have to take a few months from now.

Wahooali said:
I'm waiting until I get my scores in June. Since you've already studied for 2-3 months for the April one the info should still be fresh in your mind. So, I think that 2 months is more than enough to review and do a little more practice before taking it again. You should concentrate on your application now, not a test you may or may not have to take a few months from now.

Same here, its gonna take a lot to make me retake that bastard. I am definitely waiting till I get my scores back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
Same here, its gonna take a lot to make me retake that bastard. I am definitely waiting till I get my scores back.

Not waiting. I'm planning on studying all the way through till August. When the MCAT score report comes back in June, I hope it tells me I could stop studying. :eek:

Me too. I need to know how terribly I did before deciding to retake. My position is perhaps a bit different than guys like Cerb - I didn't have flattering scores on the practice tests...so leaving the MKitty with a bad feeling was a extra bad feeling for me...August is almost a definite...
I've gotta lock down this here Orgo II final before studying more. And, luckily (or is it UNluckily), I can identify things that I believe I can do differently to better prepare myself for the next test.
Best of luck to all retakers...and non-retakers for that matter!

dc

Im in with the folks that wont start studying until we get our scores. Not going to waste time studying and 2mths is plenty of time to prepare a second time. Thinking about how I studied and managed time with practice tests I dont think there is anything I would have changed about how I prepared. If there is a next time I am going to give exam crackers a look. Wish everyone here doesnt have to retake in August but if it has to be someone please DEAR GOD DONT LET IT BE ME :cool:

Yep, waiting until I know for sure before breaking the books out again. I have more important things to worry about - my daughter is due on May 22 and I pretty much have put off getting anything ready for her arrival, so I need to concentrate on that.

I do have a related question. I did all the AAMC practice tests in prep for the April MCAT. So if I do have to re-take (please gods, NOOO!) are there other practice tests available outside of taking Kaplan or TPR? Are their items available to buy without taking the course?

I am putting away my mcat studying for a while. Instead I am going to be an usher at my school's graduation ceremonies and spend over a month on my personal statement.

So, the MCAT scores arrive...i will be sweating and my heart will be beating out of control, only to find out that I am very unhappy with my score OR with low probablity that I got a decent score.

I have some leftover practice tests from Kaplan and TPR...I will do those.

aidan73...dont worry about the mcat until your kid arrives, thats perhaps more important than the mcat. About the practice tests, you can try the REA, The Gold Standard by Petersons and Barrons...all of them have decent tests

I'm also waiting to get my scores. I am trying to decide if I should retake if I get a 29. My original cut-off was 30, but I have a high GPA and am wondering if I can get by with a 29.

For all of us who are thinking we might have to retake...I swear that I did every practice test I could get my grubby hands on. So for that said besides EK, which I didnt not do, what other practice avenues can we pursue.

I had a friend in Kaplan and they give those who pay 1500 the same tests that I bought for 35 at the bookstore. Also did TPR and of course AAMC practice tests.

I'm waiting at least until mid-May to start studying again. I'm sick of school and stress at the moment and need a little time off!

raDiOnut

I can't believe that I'm doing this, but I've started studying again (began this Monday and I'm not pulling in 10 hours of studying). I'm a bit of a worrywart, so I'm just staying on the safe side of things. Although I think I did better than the scores from my practice tests, I don't want to risk losing a month's worth of studying. But, that's just me. ;) Good luck to everyone!

jeanie523 said:
I can't believe that I'm doing this, but I've started studying again (began this Monday and I'm not pulling in 10 hours of studying). I'm a bit of a worrywart, so I'm just staying on the safe side of things. Although I think I did better than the scores from my practice tests, I don't want to risk losing a month's worth of studying. But, that's just me. ;) Good luck to everyone!
Hey, don?t feel bad. Starting next week, I am planning to do the same thing. I may spend few hours per week review notes and do practice questions. So when the score comes in, I don?t want to feel bad for loosing one plus month. :smuggrin:

good_faith said:
Hey, don?t feel bad. Starting next week, I am planning to do the same thing. I may spend few hours per week review notes and do practice questions. So when the score comes in, I don?t want to feel bad for loosing one plus month. :smuggrin:

If you keep studying and discover you scored a 40T, you will have only been wasting time. Chill. After June 14 you can start studying again. My 2 hundredth of Charles Dickens' almighty dollar

This is a good post. I have hard core friends that are starting to study mid-may too before scores come out. But I am also with the folks who are waiting for their scores. We will still have about 10 weeks to study, and besides, the information should be relatively fresh in our minds. Give ur brain a little vacation, you deserve it!

I am waiting for the results and then start studying (Oh God please nooooooooooo ...... Hopefully I won't have to but you never know) ... I just can't seem to pick up the books for studying and I think I will be in this state of depression until the scores are out ...... The MCAT is kind of behind me now but then it is not ....... :scared:

aidan73 said:
Yep, waiting until I know for sure before breaking the books out again. I have more important things to worry about - my daughter is due on May 22 and I pretty much have put off getting anything ready for her arrival, so I need to concentrate on that.

I do have a related question. I did all the AAMC practice tests in prep for the April MCAT. So if I do have to re-take (please gods, NOOO!) are there other practice tests available outside of taking Kaplan or TPR? Are their items available to buy without taking the course?

I took the Kaplan exams and I thought they weren't even close to being representative of what was actually on the MCAT. I would take AAMC exams 3R-7R and I would score in the range of 32-33 consistentantly, but when I took the piece of crap Kaplan stuff I would get 25-27. Kaplan requires a lot more memorization of equations and time consuming calculations. The real MCAT does not-you can usually figure it out without heavy calculations. I'd try the EK exams...they are usually more difficult than the real thing, but at least they emphasize learning the concepts so you can quickly process each question based on intuition rather than time consuming calculations. EK material can be bought on amazon.com for a lot cheaper than the examkracker.com, but you have to pay full price for the practice exams. :thumbdown:

Nuel said:
If you keep studying and discover you scored a 40T, you will have only been wasting time. Chill. After June 14 you can start studying again. My 2 hundredth of Charles Dickens' almighty dollar

I wish..

I am absolutely sure that I will never never get 40T.
Honestly, I am expecting something ≤ 28.