For those who took the Kaplan prep course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Aug. MCAT this year and haven't stopped worrying since. When I took the Kaplan prep course, I was told that Kaplan students usually perform better on the actual test (1+ score higher) than on their practice tests. For those who took the Kaplan prep course before, do you mind sharing your opinion on the validity of the above statement? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

kk --

I guess I'm one year ahead of you in the process, because I took Kaplan during the summer of '99 and took the August 1999 MCAT. My mock MCAT scores gradually increased throughout the course, and I got the exact same score on the actual MCAT as I did on my last practice exam. I was unsure about the validity of those practice tests, but at least in my case, they were pretty accurate. Most likely, you'll probably score within a few points of your last few practice exams. Good luck, and I guess you'll find out for sure in a few weeks!

I took the Spring KAPLAN and April MCAT. I thought the practice tests were much harder than the real thing. My MCAT was 5-7 points higher than my best practice test. I don't know about any actual statistic on this stuff, but there is definitely hope
smile.gif

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

Members don't see this ad :)
i took the spring kaplan course and the mcat and i found that it was a big waste of my money and time. i only got a 20 on the mcat which is a 4 points lower than my best practice test. if you have some self discipline, you can save yourself $1100, traveling back and forth to the kaplan center--simply get a hold of some practice tests and a timer and I would say seriously go through each test as if you were taking the real thing. kaplan did nothing nothing for me on mcat content. most of what you have learned, you must remember, kaplan just skims over the very basics of each subject. i would not recommend it if you are on a tight budget. if you do not have a tight budget, go ahead and take the course, it will teach you best about the test format and timing yourself in an actual test situation. Dont expect to relearn all your intro physics, chem, orgchem, bio from these courses because you wont go in depth. hope this helps.

I am a Kaplan Lead Teacher, with the primary responsibility for training MCAT teachers in the Chicago area as of the last couple of months. Unfortunatley, there has never been a truly valid study done on this because we do not require students to tell us their scores, nor should we. We mostly hear back from people who are happy and want to say thanks. We do hear back from people who are unhappy, but in significantly smaller numbers. I can't make any inferences about those that we do not hear from at all. In my experince, the students I have heard back from tend to do about 1-2 composite points better than they did on their best practice test. Hope this is the case for you. In fact I hope you did much better!

Hey ask698,

What do you have to score to be eligible to teach MCAT review courses for Kaplan?

28's on the Kaplan practice tests this summer. August MCAT verbal was at least twice as hard as Kaplan material.

25 on the real thing.

Kaplan scores

pre test: 18
test 1: 28
test 2: 28
test 3: 26
test 4: 27
test 5: 28

real thing: 25

Summary:

The Kaplan program raised my score substantially, but they over estimated what I would score. It was worth the money for me because I would not have had a chance without it. What is $1200 compared to not getting in?

jcollings and others interested,

Some preference is shown to applicants who score in the top 5 percentile, but the minimum requirement to teach for Kaplan is top 10 percentile. Thus, you don't need a 40+ to teach. In fact, in my experience, with some notable exceptions, people who score 40+ have a hard time teaching the MCAT becasue everything came easy for them. I find our best teachers to be in the 33-38 range. You can teach the portions of the course that corrsepond to any section in which you scored an 11+. For example, if you scored a 11 in the physical sciences you could teach the gen. chem. and physics portions of the course. Becasue not all people who score well can teach, applicants with the requisite scores are invited to give a 5 minute teaching audition on a non-academic subject. If the assement of the audition is positive, the applicant is invited into Kaplan's training program, where the lead teacher makes the final decision on fitness to teach. We're always looking for great teachers so I engourage any of you that are interested to contact the Kaplan center near you or apply online at the Kaplan website. Anybody in the Chicago area can contact me and I'll funnel you towards the appropriate people.

Tony

I took Kaplan in preparation for the April MCAT and then took it again in preparation for the August MCAT. My scores were approximately five points lower on the real test than my prep tests in April. Practice 34, Real test 29. Kaplan 1+ prediction did not occur. I decided to retake the test in August averaged 35 on all my practices, but did not use the resourses in their library much this time. Instead, I found friends that were taking the other prep courses and utilized their tests. We would take one test almost every day the last two weeks. This was the most helpful studying tool. August MCAT score 36. Moral of the story find friends taking all the different courses.

[This message has been edited by Hmmrstrength (edited 10-25-2000).]

kaplan's verbal is easier than the real thing, but science is better:
Here is what I got during this summer:Note: English is a second language to me
VR: 6 8 8 9 8 real: 5 =(
PS: 13 12 13 12 13 real: 13
BS:11 12 13 12 12 real: 13
Or, maybe I just stressed out.

ask698

Well, I guess the different Kaplan centers have different standards, becuase the two in Columbus require a score of at least 13 on a section to teach! I know this for a fact...

Mango,

Thanks for the information on Columbus. Something for me to pass on to the academic team because things should be the same. Columbus, assuming it's Columbus in Ohio, is in the same region as Chicago so I know we should have the same policy because I work with the regional academic team on a regular basis. Things are a bit decentralized so that may be why they get away with a different cutoff or if they have a glut of qualified candidates, they may have received special permission to raise the cutoff. I'll look into Columbus to clarify the situation there. However, general Kaplan policy is that 11 is the cutoff for top ten percentile and to teach, but as I mentioned before some preference is shown to top five percentile which would be a 13.

Tony

If you are going to take the spring MCAT next year, when should you take a Kaplan course, fall or spring? I've heard different sides to both, can anyone shed some light on this?
thanks

take it in the spring for the spring exam, summer for summer exam...or else you will forget what you were taught. Take a lighter courseload in the spring so that you will have time to dedicate towards studying for the MCAT.

Mango,

I checked with the Westwood Kaplan in LA about the teaching policy. They told me that company policy was > or = to the 95th percentile on any paticular test. On the August MCAT, they handed me a piece of paper saying that these scores corresponded to a 11 VR, 12 PS, 12 BS, and R writing sample. Maybe, Colombus has a different company policy, but maybe for some reason its different where you are.

[This message has been edited by Hmmrstrength (edited 10-31-2000).]

Well, it was last year that my friend taught at the Fishinger Rd. center, and at that time they required 95th percentile which was based on the test he took, which was the April '99 exam. The cut-off for even applying was a 13. Also, I know their GRE cutoff was also 95th percentile, becasue I was elligible to teach a section of the GRE course, but decided that I had much better things to do.
wink.gif

I understand that nationally, Kaplan's teacher cutoff is 90%. The Princeton Review's (TPR) cutoff is 95%, 13 (or better) on each single subject. The cutoff plan is different because the courses are different. It's because TPR took over a company that was cleaning both Kaplan and TPR's clock in California called Hyperlearning. The reason so many folks preferred to prep with Hyperlearning over TPR or Kaplan, is that Hyperlearning has a teacher for each of five different MCAT concentrations: Verbal, Physics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Biology. And they have a bunch of class hours devoted to each section of the MCAT.

So TPR bought them out and took over their course model. I don't think anyone will disagree that it's generally a bad idea to have a great science student teaching you how to take the verbal part of the test, which is pretty universally acknowledged to be the distinguishing factor for MCATs for most applicants. When most folks in the applicant pool are science majors, a standout verbal is very important. I imagine that you can find classes that are taught by great teachers that cover everything well, but on the whole, I think I'd rather be reviewing with a teacher who's really good at one section instead of just above average on the whole thing.

Of course, I am paid to think that--I run the TPR office in Tempe, AZ.

And don't forget something else. It doesn't mean a thing if you don't audition your teachers. If they can't teach, they can't teach. Doesn't matter if they know the material cold. If they're gonna read out of the book and mumble, they'll be boring and won't impart a thing to the students.

If you want to see the difference in teachers at TPR and Kaplan--drop by each of their local offices and ask if you can apply to become a teacher. See what the requirements are in person. And you'll find out what the training requirements really are.

I took the PR prep course before I took the MCAT (the second time), and all of the teachers were excellent, even when we had subs. I though the PR verbal was much harder than the actual verbal (although I ended up scoring the same thing on the actual test.) I got the same exact score on the real test as I did on my last practice test. However, I did not feel that the PR teachers were as good at grading the writing sample as they were at teaching the subjects. My PR writing samples were L, L, M, O. Actual test the first time I took it: Q. The second time: R. A friend consistently scored O's and P's on his practices, and got an M. Another got a T on her last practice writing. Actual test: M. I did make a substantial improvement on the actual test after taking PR, so I thought it was worth it, for me anyway. All of the people from my class who I talked to after they got their scores scored within a point or two of their last PR practice. ( I don't work for the company
smile.gif
)

I'm trying to decide between taking the TPR course or the Kaplan course next summer (I'm writing the MCAT in August 2001). Another option would be Richardson Prep ("The Gold Standard"), a Canadian company that offers MCAT preparation here in Toronto. Any suggestions?