For those who took the MCAT -- is 3r representative to the real mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took it today, got a 8 in PS, 9 in Verbal, and a 12 in BS. What should I do to iimprove the PS or my score all together...AND...how close is the 3r to the real dea. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do 3r, but I did take 4r and 5r. I felt like they were pretty accurate except that I did end up scoring a point lower on the real deal.

A 29 is close to the magic 30. It sounds like you just need to plug away some more on your PS section and a bit on the VR. Otherwise, I'd say you're on track to do well in April.

Good luck!

I took 3r, 5r and 6r and scored plus or minus one point of my real MCAT score on all 3. I think they accurately reflect how well you will do on the real thing.

I did feel, however, that the material they covered and the types of questions were slightly easier than the real MCAT. But, it all comes out in the wash because of the way they figure the scores.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Take all of them. The total experience ends up being GREAT practice, and is pretty indicative of the real deal.

-NS

Just don't get cocky and stop taking practice tests if you do well on 3R. From what I remember, the questions were easier than the real thing. However, if you did well on 3r, then you're off to a good start and just keep it up with 4,5 and 6 and you'll do fine.

Cheers,

Captjack

ok ok ok ok....so i've heard this like a million times now, "3R is easier than the actual MCAT."

someone please explain this to me. i thought all of the tests offered by the AAMC were just previous MCATs, or at least composed of various actual MCAT passages/questions. is this incorrect?

i know companies like kaplan and TPR have a vested interest in giving you a "hard" test to convince you to prep with them, but the AAMC has no discernable motive for saying, "hey, let's make the free test we offer the 'easy' one." people are always crapping on 3R and saying that "5R predicted my score" and stuff like that, but how would you account for this preceived difference in difficulty? if 6R has one more genetics passage and one less ochem passage, does that make it that superior to 3R? come on...

someone please show me the light and tell me why 3R is easier than the real MCAT. (note: i have taken 3R, but not 4R, 5R, or 6R yet).

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
I thought 3R was harder than the actual.

I haven't taken 4R, 5R or 6R. But 3R wasn't a breeze as people make it seem; one could assume I am stupid or something. 10 PS 11VR, 9 BS<-----got screwed in the BS by a passage on Tm that I didn't pull together.

well, when I take the others, probably over the next three weeks, I will be in a better position to judge. Again I am praying for the beast :D .

Originally posted by NotShorty
Take all of them. The total experience ends up being GREAT practice, and is pretty indicative of the real deal.

-NS

I agree. Take them like the real MCAT. Time yourself, take the breaks, etc.
I found my scores to be pretty representative of my actual MCAT score.

I haven't taken 4R, 5R or 6R. But 3R wasn't a breeze as people make it seem; one could assume I am stupid or something. 10 PS 11VR, 9 BS<-----got screwed in the BS by a passage on Tm that I didn't pull together.

hahaha....."stupid" like a fox...the avg. accepted MCAT is about 29.4, so if your 30 makes you "stupid," then the average medical student is....really stupid!

SDN, you cruel mistress, why must you torture me!

Originally posted by superdevil
hahaha....."stupid" like a fox...the avg. accepted MCAT is about 29.4, so if your 30 makes you "stupid," then the average medical student is....really stupid!

SDN, you cruel mistress, why must you torture me!

:D SD, you are like me, we are hoping to go MSTP, and you know high numbers are needed. I truly hate this unavoidable exam, and if I don't do well I will just take the GRE and go straight PhD. No stress. But I am very iffy about the MCAT, especially VR that is fickle and finicky--just praying.

Keep gambling like me.

3R was similar to the MCAT I took in August 2003. However, as another poster said, you can't slack off on your studying just because you got a good score on it. Because 3R did not include some topics. Each MCAT is unique and you ought to be over-prepared, to be ready for anything. Do take the other MCATs offered by AAMC. Also I thought the Kaplan simulated exams were very similar to the actual MCAT.

Also, part of the MCAT that few people talk about is speed. You not only have to be able to do the work, you also must be able to do it quickly. The only way to get faster is to drill and practice.

SD, you are like me, we are hoping to go MSTP, and you know high numbers are needed. I truly hate this unavoidable exam, and if I don't do well I will just take the GRE and go straight PhD. No stress. But I am very iffy about the MCAT, especially VR that is fickle and finicky--just praying.

that's too funny. we basically got the same score on 3R (although you beat my 29 by a point!), have the same goal, and even the same back-up plan!

this test irritates the bejesus out of me. coming to sdn only makes it worse sometimes, and then going over to the pre-MSTP forum with stephen hawking and all of his friends is enough to make me crack. people think i'm some kind of stuck-up gunner jack ass when i say my goal for the MCAT is a 36 (although, at my present rate of progress, that's not bloody likely), but its just the reality of what we need to get.

good luck, researchprof!

just bumping to see if anyone wants to take a stab at my question about AAMC's 3R version of the MCAT.....

I actualy scored the same on all three of the AAMC test I took, and 2 points higher on the real MCAT. The AAMC tests nailed the BS and PS sections right on, I scored 2 points higher on the VR. Probably because I took more time and reviewed all my answers on the real MCAT. I think 3r is very representative of how you will do on the MCAT.

THE MCAT IS A LOT ABOUT TEST TAKING SKILLS RATHER THAN CONTENT AND QUESTIONS. THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO MASTER.

(my credentials: i taught a unique mcat course).

I took 3R, 5R and 6R as well as all the princeton review tests. I thought the princeton review tests were pretty representative of what you'll see on the real MCAT, but the AAMC tests predicted my score better.

Since everything is curved based on whoever takes the test with you, the AAMC practice scores end up a lot like your real score.

I didn't find 3R to be any easier or harder than 5R or 6R.

In any case, people all test differently, so just make sure your conditions are as "real" as possible.

For me, that meant having someone sitting next to me who moaned in a loud voice at every page.....I wanted to punch him by the end;)

Good luck!