For those who Tweet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For every person who follows @abolishcancer $1 is being donated to cancer research.

Felt obliged to share. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok.

What defines "cancer research" anyway? They claim for every follower that joins they ask sponsors to donate $1. There is no guarantee of that. I don't mean to be a debby downer here, but just remember there are a lot of pretty useless charities out there. In fact there is actually a market for cancer/aids/whatever charities out there because people are so willing to give to just about anybody without first doing some research into the efficacy of that non-profit.

And while I fully support and practice donating funds to established, reputable and worthy charities, I feel that sometimes people are misled. A lot of these organizations don't do much more than provide nice things for terminal cancer patients or help pay for expenses. That's wonderful, but you can't really call that cancer research. If you really are interested in helping contribute to finding cures, make sure you donate to a charity that is known for giving grants to academic cancer research institutions so more pertinent studies can be done.

Another thing that people don't realize is the complexity and many, many faces of cancer that exist. Most people think its just one really nasty disease that you can get in different parts of your body. The truth is cancer is a giant umbrella term for the dozens, evens hundreds and someday probably thousands of cancer conditions that arises from out of control cell proliferation. Curing one type does not equal curing all cancers. I think the first step to promoting cancer awareness and thus the funding of cancer research lies in educating people about what cancers really are and why they are as of yet almost impossible to permanently cure. The solution for cancer may end up being kind of like the solutions we have so far for AIDS... not a cure at all, but the ability to manage it effectively long enough so that most people can have a normal life and probably die from other natural causes before AIDS/cancer takes them.

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm sure it can't hurt. I'm not losing any money by following anyway. :)

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm sure it can't hurt. I'm not losing any money by following anyway. :)

Yeah I know.. sorry I kind of got on a tangent there about something else. :D