For those who used Examkrackers materials...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samus Aran

Old member
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did your score improve? Do you feel their materials prepared you well? Any comments about it in general?

Please share.

Members don't see this ad.

Misty said:
Did your score improve? Do you feel their materials prepared you well? Any comments about it in general?

Please share.

retook the mcat and improved by 3 points

Members don't see this ad :)
Tought to say... I improved 2 points, but had all summer to do MCAT this time. Less time in class is used for teaching, and more for practicing...If i had to choose between them and Princeton (who I took the first time) I'd say Exam Crackers.

my first time writing the exam.. and I took teh exam kracker course. the books were really great. they explained all teh material you would ever need to know for teh mcat in simpler terms and it wasn;t like reading a textbook.. I passed with flying colors. and their 1001 questions on every section helped too. I'd definitely recommend it. esp if you're a first time writter, you might never have to write it ever again!! :thumbup:

vegangirl said:
Retook the MCAT and imporved by 5 POINTS:)
EK all the way ;)
ditto that
served me much better than kaplan :thumbup:

I used ExamKrackers this past summer...studied really hard, and improved by 7 points. I found the books to be much better than anything else...Especially the 101 Verbal book.

Does Examcrackers have a study guide to help you study on your own? Is Audio Osmosis for extra practice or it is used in combination with the Complete Study Package? I noticed that Audio Osmosis is more expensive than the Books.

My friend took Princeton...got a 20 in april....then used EK and got a 28 today.

This is the first time I took it. I took the aamc free online test without studying to see what I needed to work on and got a 28. I used just the EK 5th edition books and took some kaplan paper tests. I went up 10 points from that first test on the real one. They are great study material if you already know the stuff. If you've never taken O-Chem or the recommended science classes, the EK books will be hard to understand even though they are written well.

I will have to retake the MCAT, do you think I will improve my score substantially if I use the EK materia in conjunction with my KRAPLAN Krap?l

I used ek and I got a 30. I was scoring mid 30's before taking, overall I'd say they were great.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK spends a lot of time giving you tips and tricks to beating the MCAT.

I used exam krackers, and with exception of the Verbal section, was really surprised to see how little the actual test was geared toward what they said it would be.

For example, they spend a lot of timetelling you things you should look for on the MCAT - like the answer to any solvent question is "ether".
Well, I didn't use any of their tips or tricks on the actual MCAT, because the MCAT doesn't test tricks. it tests the core basics and intricacies you can only know through mastery of the material.

Does EK help you get there - you bet it does. But does it go about it the right way? Sadly no.

I'm sure the MCAT writers are well aware of the programs out there and what they say about the MCAT, and they design the test to avoid giving advantages to anyone who subscribes to any training group.

That being said, the mastery of the information, which is only added by EK can only help you. Just don't pay too much attention to the gimmicks and the heads ups. Listen to the substance, and absorb the meat of the information. For that, I will highly recomend their material and their tapes.
Good luck!

I used both EK and Kaplan class material. I definitely recommend EK for self-study. The books are pretty short and colorful so it's slightly easier to drag yourself through it. Good for quick reviews after long time away from the material.

I went up 4 points on this test using EK. I only used the complete study guide and the verbal 101 books.

if you have enough self discipline, i'd forget the class. Just by the books, the 1001Qs (but skip the bio), and go at it with your study group <-- very helpful.

I got a 31O using the complete set of EK study guides, plus the fat Kaplan book, without taking any courses or studying with anybody else.

Basically, I sat in the library 10 hours a day for the last 4-5 weeks with the books in front of me. I took both the practice tests that came with the books, and then some aamc practice tests. I was scoring about 28-31 on those tests, so I'm pretty happy with my score.

I also didn't really have time to use the books with the extra questions and passages. Overall, my score probably could've been higher if I started studying earlier. But hey, it's a decent score, I probably won't have to re-take and I saved myself a crapload of money.

So, my point us, I definitely think it's possible to score a 30+ with just the EK books.

In the spring I saved the $$ to take the summer Kaplan course. Well, in May a fancy Sony HDTV caught my eye, and there went the cash. So, I bought the ExamKrackers books and AudioOsmosis CD's. I studied just the books during the summer, never even opened the CD's, and took Practice Tests 3 and 7 on e-mcat a few days before the real deal. I came out with a 31S...this was my first time sitting for the exam. I really think the ExamKrackers books do a great job of only telling you what you need to know, and doing that in a very simple, straight-forward manner. Spend the dough on EK books and the AAMC electronic MCAT practice tests and you'll be money.

First-time taker. Aug mcat, scored 33 - 13v 10p 10b.

Prep:

Listened to Audio Osmosis off and on in the car since January.
Worked thru the Examkrackers Complete study guide books (though not as
much as I could have)

Took Kaplan classroom over the summer to try and discipline myself, and also
to take 4 practice exams in a "real" setting.

My opinion - my score was 70% Examkrackers, 28% sitting for practice tests, maybe 2% (at most) kaplan classroom.

I used EK (complete review guide and 101 Verbal) and AAMC practice tests (all 5) over the summer (about 8 weeks) and only improved my score 1 point. I'd say on average I studied 20 hours a week (I work full-time and have a kid to raise), but I thought this was reasonable to get a much better score. All I was really looking for was a 27-ish, and I ended up with a 23. It must just be me though, because it sounds like everyone else did great with EK.

silkworm said:
I used both EK and Kaplan class material. I definitely recommend EK for self-study. The books are pretty short and colorful so it's slightly easier to drag yourself through it. Good for quick reviews after long time away from the material.

Exactly what I think

BSChemE said:
Does Examcrackers have a study guide to help you study on your own? Is Audio Osmosis for extra practice or it is used in combination with the Complete Study Package? I noticed that Audio Osmosis is more expensive than the Books.

Can anyone answer this?

Audio Osmosis is very expensive...do a search b/c there are plenty of threads discussing the usefullness of it...I was first time taker, used only EK and a little Audio Osmosis (not much), scored 31P (10 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS). Average aamc tests was 31, so somewhat satisfied (verbal score of 10 my lowest, that hurt...overall EK is the best. Lots of people I know did even better than this, friend of mine who I was studying with scored about same on all practice but got a 39 on real deal, so who knows...maybe he got lucky...anyhow, I highly reccomend EK, expecially for the price if you are good at self studied (I studied 4-6 hours day last 4-6 weeks summer, 4 AAMC practice tests).

sweatybrain said:
if you have enough self discipline, i'd forget the class. Just by the books, the 1001Qs (but skip the bio), and go at it with your study group <-- very helpful.

I disagree with you about skipping the Bio 1001 book. The EK materials overall are great, but IMHO, the Bio 1001 book is downright awesome. It's great practice and review of high-yield info, and is a big reason why I scored an 11 in BS this past August.

Fusion said:
I disagree with you about skipping the Bio 1001 book. The EK materials overall are great, but IMHO, the Bio 1001 book is downright awesome. It's great practice and review of high-yield info, and is a big reason why I scored an 11 in BS this past August.

Well...after seeing all this great advertisement for ExamKrackers, if anyone is looking for the 5th edition Complete Study Package...or any of the 1001 books PM me. I used them and never have to take that horrific test again! :thumbup:

The books and cd's are expensive, but 2 things to keep in mind:

1. They're worth it.
2. You can sell them on ebay when you're done and get most of your money back.
(I didn't write in my books. Took notes in separate notebook).

EK self study is the way to go. I did it (39). And I suggest you dont waste your money on a prep course. This coming from a prep course instructor :p

I retook the mcat in august and went from 6V ---> 9V using EK 101 verbal. Granted a 9 isn't spectacular and I set the bar low with a 6 but I know EK had everything to do with it. I studied with Kaplan in april and it didn't seem to click. I never would've found out about EK if it wasn't for this forum and I only wish I had joined last winter because I probably would've used EK instead of kaplan based on what I've read here. Acutally I wish I had bought all of the EK materials for august.

For me their Orgo 1001 questions was great. I haven't taken orgo in years. I was starting from zero. I found the orgo 1001 questions & subject reviews excellent. Topics emphized in their orgo review were streamlined & spot on. & 32O 12BS helps my opinion of their work.

Are the books that I can purchase from Examkrackers.com the SAME as the ones they give out in the actual course???

Also, if i am going to study for APRIL 2005 mcat, is the edition that is out on the website now the newest one, or will there be a newer edition coming out later this year for April MCAT?

Thanks

the first time i took the mcat, i took the kaplan course, and really didn't like it at all, even if I had done well on the test I don't think I would recommend it. The second time I bought the 1001 books for all the subjects, and the ek verbal reasoning book and raised my score significantly. I would recommend the ek books if you are disciplined enough to study them. I sacrificed my summer to study, but it paid off.

PEACE

lea said:
Are the books that I can purchase from Examkrackers.com the SAME as the ones they give out in the actual course???

Also, if i am going to study for APRIL 2005 mcat, is the edition that is out on the website now the newest one, or will there be a newer edition coming out later this year for April MCAT?

Thanks

i called ek and they said they weren't going to put out a newer version in time for the april & august 2005 mcat dates.

Misty said:
i called ek and they said they weren't going to put out a newer version in time for the april & august 2005 mcat dates.

Thank you Misty!!

Misty said:

I will never let you live down this nerdly action.

Oh yes, you are still the scab queen.

cHocoBo 118 said:
I had similar results using EK 101 verbal. 7V ---> 10V. I owe them my soul for this.

Not I.

5V (initial TPR Diagnostic) ------->8-10V (in the EK 101 verbal book) -------> 6V (Real Deal)

i used EK to supplement the kaplan book -- really helped clear up a lot of questions, especially in physics and chem.

I'm with SensesFail. I started with a 5 for TPR. I got 10's,11's, and 12s on EK verbal. I got a 10 on the real deal. This sucks. :(

Anyuta said:
Hey, I totally confused. Is there a difference between Bio 101 and 1001 books? Do they both exist? :confused:

EK doesn't have a Bio 101 book . . . that sounds like a class you're taking. They have their 5th edition course review books (Physics, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biology, and Verbal review). Then they have books to supplement this review course . . . Physcis, Chemistry, Orgo, and Biology 1001 practice questions (you purchase them separately, of course). Then they have Verbal 101 practice passages. It's basically 11 full length verbal exams, with 2 extra practice passages. Hope that cleared up your question.

I used the boxed set of examkrackers books.
I scored a 30N.
The amazing thing is that I have been out of undergrad for almost 11 years and I only studied for 4 weeks while working fulltime and taking care of a family. They are easy to read, good explanations, and straight to the point. If you need alot of detail and repetition to learn, you probably would need more books and some of those practice exams from the MCAT people.
I only did the one examkracker exam but more would have helped with the nerves!
The sad thing is that I am a canadian, with a below average GPA so a 30 isn't going to cut it and I have to retake this crazy thing, but this time I 'll give myself more than 4 weeks!!! :)

Examkrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Biology is now in the format of passages. There are 101 passages in the book. It used to be in the format of stand alone questions. Perhaps people sometimes mistakenly call the 1001Bio book the 101 Bio book for this reason. I think you are only able to get it from their website at the moment. \

The physics,general chem and organic chem are in the format of stand alone questions at the moment. hopefully they will make those into passages as well.

Anyuta said:
Hey, I totally confused. Is there a difference between Bio 101 and 1001 books? Do they both exist? :confused:

I've got to say I found the stand alone format of 1001 chem, orgo & physics to be extremely helpful. Although passages have an important prep role, the 1001 format with sequenially more difficult questions, really allowed me to get the basic facts. They helped isolate particular areas of weakness.
On June diagnostics I got 4 PS & 8 BS. After completing the 1001 books on the Aug. MCAT I got 10 PS & 12 BS.
I'm sure other people are helped by passage exercises, but, for me the 1001 Question books were just what the Dr ordered. :thumbup: :thumbup: