For those who were considering EM before the job outlook turned poor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arjusmc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an OMS2 and was hell bent on EM when applying and matriculating. With everything looking so bad in EM I’m starting to look around. I know a lot of people who are shifting their focus to IM or gas. For those of you who want or wanted EM, what rotations have you liked other than EM? Were you surprised by any of them? Anything outside the box?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Considered EM first then IM with cards or GI in the preclinical years, but ended up falling in love with Neurology by doing an elective early 3rd year and applying this cycle. I wasn't really surprised by it, but let me just say I just never thought I would like the field this much, and it completely shifted my focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Considered EM first then IM with cards or GI in the preclinical years, but ended up falling in love with Neurology by doing an elective early 3rd year and applying this cycle. I wasn't really surprised by it, but let me just say I just never thought I would like the field this much, and it completely shifted my focus.
Neurology is an interesting shift. I know a few planning on neuro and they have been since day 1. I’ll have to keep it in mind. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurology is an interesting shift. I know a few planning on neuro and they have been since day 1. I’ll have to keep it in mind. Thanks!
I shifted away from EM fairly early, but having just completed my neuro rotation I can kind of see how aspects of it would be appealing to people who like certain aspects of EM. On inpatient neuro consults you get some interesting relatively undifferentiated, sometimes very unstable patients (AMS, etc) and you can sometimes make pretty magic diagnoses just from physical exam. You get some critical care in the neuro ICU. Stroke call gives you opportunities to be responsible for emergent medical decision making. I don't think it's the most logical shift for every EM person but I can see where the appeal might be for some! I'm not gonna be a neurologist either but I was actually surprised by how enjoyable my rotation was (I was not a big fan of our pre-clinical neuro module)

Reactions: 1 user
My biggest objection to neuro is that I didn't like my preclinical course either