whoaaitzkyle

go bears!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Status
Dental Student
how does your school manage teaching your dental classes along with the plethora of material we learn with the medical students? Our program does 8 hrs of dental classes a week (2hrs lec + 6 hrs simlab) but the way we are progressing now I am concerned I may not be ready for the dental portion of the boards. I feel the med-school curriculum, although very thorough, is a bit of an overkill and I am starting to see myself being more knowledgeable as a physician than a dentist since I'm constantly learning about how to diagnose patients with things like bacterial meningitis, reading CT/MRIs and diagnosing hematomas, eye lesions, auditory transduction, blood/lymph, pharmacology, etc. For those that have taken the boards, how relevant is all this material to Part I of the boards? The First Aid NBDE Part I book has less than 1/4 of the material we're learning (i.e. cancer drugs, bacterial/viral infections, etc.).

Jun 11, 2009
NY
Status
Dental Student
I assume it can't be to bad to know more than less, but in case of time constraint it can be a problem. Anyone want to share their opinion, I would also like to know about this!

mike3kgt

Hopefully scuba diving
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
Status
Dentist
how does your school manage teaching your dental classes along with the plethora of material we learn with the medical students? Our program does 8 hrs of dental classes a week (2hrs lec + 6 hrs simlab) but the way we are progressing now I am concerned I may not be ready for the dental portion of the boards. I feel the med-school curriculum, although very thorough, is a bit of an overkill and I am starting to see myself being more knowledgeable as a physician than a dentist since I'm constantly learning about how to diagnose patients with things like bacterial meningitis, reading CT/MRIs and diagnosing hematomas, eye lesions, auditory transduction, blood/lymph, pharmacology, etc. For those that have taken the boards, how relevant is all this material to Part I of the boards? The First Aid NBDE Part I book has less than 1/4 of the material we're learning (i.e. cancer drugs, bacterial/viral infections, etc.).
Little of this is important for the boards and basic pharmacology is the only thing mentioned that will be important to daily dental practice (or maybe basic CT scan of mandible/maxilla also).

Guess this is the risk you take when you go to a new program. It will get better, though.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
We've got a similar thing going... this semester we were only doing pre-clinic stuff for 2 hours of lecture, and 3 hours of lab, and this is for our Amalgam class. Though, we have access to the sim lab after class to practice. About to go take my final practical right now actually, haha.

I wouldn't worry, by 3rd or 4th year you'll likely get plenty of experience.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Im sorry I am a little confused.... You mean your school basically has you taking the first 2 years of dental school as a medical student?

I suspect not many schools do this, but how many other schools follow this type of curriculum?

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Im sorry I am a little confused.... You mean your school basically has you taking the first 2 years of dental school as a medical student?

I suspect not many schools do this, but how many other schools follow this type of curriculum?
Most dental schools have you taking more or less similar classes as med students for the first year or so, ie, anatomy, biochem, micro, pathology, histology, etc.

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, Long Island
Status
Pre-Dental
Maybe your school believes dentist are really a specific type of medical provider. One who has to know general medicine as well as dental medicine