For those with acceptances-What kind of grades do we have to maintain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoFlaKnight

The Dark Knight
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those with acceptances, I know we can't get any risky stuff on our record like a DUI or a manslaughter charge, but what kind of grades do we have to maintain to matriculate? I'm doing pretty good this semester and I don't plan on cashing out gradewise; however a few of us at my school w/ acceptances were discussing this and we realized we don't really know what the consensus is on this topic. Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that getting a D or an F is usually grounds for getting your application re-evaluated, but getting one C (especially if it's explainable) isn't a deal breaker. For the most part, I imagine straight B's or above will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say to be competitive at higher ranked schools you would want to have a 3.5/3.6 or above. It is very doable with a lower gpa you just might want to apply to a broader range of schools.
And either way make sure your EC's are solid.

He was asking what grades are needed after an acceptance.

I would say you can get a few Cs, but if you should try to have mostly A's and B's.

I would say to be competitive at higher ranked schools you would want to have a 3.5/3.6 or above. It is very doable with a lower gpa you just might want to apply to a broader range of schools.
And either way make sure your EC's are solid.

:)

Below a C = bad news. Just be a baller this semester anyway. I think without volunteering, mcat studying, research, or applying to med school there is plenty of time to get ok grades.

Actually it wasnt that easy since I kept missing class all the time for interviews.

It looks like Im getting one C and then a nice blend of As and Bs. Im prob alright, right? Ive gotten into mostly middle-tier schools...

Here's the thing, if you are getting below a C in a course, then at most colleges it doesn't count towards graduation requirements, and THAT hurts you. If you are taking a course for fun, MAKE IT PASS/FAIL.

The end.

Um...Im graduating this semester. I was just wondering if getting a C is bad (but I already have acceptances to medical school). The C will still allow me to graduate however. I was just wondering how the medical schools will look at it.

How about people who are on waitlists or have very competitive category statuses where they could either be accepted or waitlisted by a school when they are re-evaluated in May? I guess all A's, huh?

How about people who are on waitlists or have very competitive category statuses where they could either be accepted or waitlisted by a school when they are re-evaluated in May? I guess all A's, huh?

Yup. Do everything you can between now and then to make yourself look as good as possible...

bump...so the consensus is nothing below a C and avoid straight C's and you're golden?

My bad, I DFAS...:oops:

bump...so the consensus is nothing below a C and avoid straight C's and you're golden?

I'd argue 3.0 should be the min, but talk to me in a few months when my grades come back. I'm definitely testing this theory right now the way my semester has been going. :(

I'd argue 3.0 should be the min, but talk to me in a few months when my grades come back. I'm definitely testing this theory right now the way my semester has been going. :(
I think that unless they specify that you have to maintain a certain average, "successful completion" of your degree is simply 2.0 or passing. I think anything below a "C" would not be acceptable, but straight "C"s that allow you to graduate would be fine. Plus, they probably don't even look at official transcripts. They probably just want proof that you have graduated and then file it away forever.

Many of us want to at least graduate cum laude or better so if you have a 3.5 or higher, I would try to keep that.