For those with low undergrad gpa but high post bacc grades, what helped?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynthiabiswas

Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from a SUNY recently. My cgpa is a 2.34.
Although I cannot mathematically increase my cgpa, I am doing a post bacc of about 24-40 credits. The intention is to reinvent my grades, skills, and profile as a student for medical schools.
For those with success stories with low undergrad gpa's but a high post bacc gpa (accepted into medical schools, DO and or MD), what are some of the habits and skills that helped you to do better? What parts of your applications stood out?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this isn't what you are looking for per se because I was still technically in undergrad when I was able to get a lot of A's and improve my GPA a lot.

The following video series recommended by a med student on SDN really helped me improve my study skills. Don't be fooled by the fact that it comes from a community college! The strategies are very evidence-based and good for universities too. I credit it for my 3.8 my junior and senior years.

I am not going to apply until 2023, so I can't comment on any stand-outs in my application yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know this isn't what you are looking for per se because I was still technically in undergrad when I was able to get a lot of A's and improve my GPA a lot.

The following video series recommended by a med student on SDN really helped me improve my study skills. Don't be fooled by the fact that it comes from a community college! The strategies are very evidence-based and good for universities too. I credit it for my 3.8 my junior and senior years.

I am not going to apply until 2023, so I can't comment on any stand-outs in my application yet.
Wow, thank you so much! A very resourceful video. I’m watching it right now. And awesome! I hope it all works out. Mind if we become friends on this platform? I want to expand my social web to more people within my career of choosing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thank you so much! A very resourceful video. I’m watching it right now. And awesome! I hope it all works out. Mind if we become friends on this platform? I want to expand my social web to more people within my career of choosing.

I would love to. :) Best of luck to you!

Although I cannot mathematically increase my cgpa, I am doing a post bacc of about 24-40 credits. The intention is to reinvent my grades, skills, and profile as a student for medical schools.
For those with success stories with low undergrad gpa's but a high post bacc gpa (accepted into medical schools, DO and or MD), what are some of the habits and skills that helped you to do better? What parts of your applications stood out?
For our successful SMP students, they include:
focusing on their studies
better time mgt skills
overcoming injuries or health issues
seeking out new ways to learn
NOT working at a side job. School was their job.

Last edited:
Although I cannot mathematically increase my cgpa
This is not true.

I'm in the same boat as you! My cgpa was 2.41 before I did a DIY post bacc. I did about 35 credits (4.0) and my cgpa and sgpa went up.

Like how @Mr.Smile12 mentioned, I'm currently following @Goro's guide and it's helping immensely.

When it comes to habits/skills, I addressed my time management issues and I also had a health condition that I needed to address before I started back up with classes.
I made a schedule for myself and STUCK to it, it's a little hard at first of course. Discover the way you like to efficiently study and find a variety of good study environments. Studying in different places, doing the Pomodoro technique, and the Feynman technique (explaining a topic to yourself and/or someone else) helped me a lot. Your cgpa and sgpa can go up a decent amount! It'll take some work and it's an uphill battle but you got this. Let me know if you want any more insight as to what I did, classes I took, etc.!

I'm currently applying to formal post-bacc's & SMP programs so I can't speak about MD & DO applications.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users