For those worrying

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BobbyDylanFan, Oct 27, 2002.

1. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

Found this on a "profiles site", thought some of you may need it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am white with 3.55 gpa/3.5 sci
    Small liberal arts college, not well known.
    MCAT 10v 9p 9b and was a biology major.

I applied to 30 schools!! interviewd at 22. accepted to 12 of these!! Harvard, Columbia, John Hopkins, Cornell, were the top schools I was accepted to. Also, I am a CA resident but was only accepted to UCD and USC in CA. I was so shocked at my results that I have asked admissions committee why they accepted me. Their answer: I acted human and they could see I was genuine and I had faults and talents. They were also comfortable being around me, and thought I was a nice person. My advice: aim for interviews, then be yourself... If you are a truly nice and REAL person then you have a good chance to get in.... GOOD LUCK!

p.s. I am going to Cornell

:D :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. How were you accepted to Davis already when they haven't even begin interviewing yet???

4. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

He found it on a site, and it was someone talking about a past applications year. :)

5. Joe Joe on da Radio

Resident [Any Field]
    he must've had INCREDIBLE extracurriculars.

6. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

maybe just a nature or science article or two!

7. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I don't want to be discouraging, because my stats are similar to those, but either this person is lying or has a very outstanding extracurricular. With an average GPA and MCAT there is no way the s/he would have been accepted to 4 top 10s with medium stats without something amazing. It would take olympic gold in my opinion.

Most of us don't have any factor that is significant enough to get us into top 10s with average stats. I am not getting my hopes up.

8. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    perhaps his GPA was 3.5 on a 3.5 scale.

9. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

unless this guy had the most amazing personal statement and greatest ECs ever, this is pure male bovine fecal matter. i would be shocked if he INTERVIWED at, much less accepted, at ALL those schools with those numbers :rolleyes:

10. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Banned
    Banned

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" I have asked admissions committee why they accepted me. Their answer: I acted human and they could see I was genuine and I had faults and talents. They were also comfortable being around me, and thought I was a nice person."

I think you guys are missing the point. Even with his "average" stats, the afore mentioned point make it VERY obivious to me why he was accepted.

11. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member

although this story is very encouraging.. heck, i'd rather believe that it's possible than not, this person must have had a good personal statement/ecs as mentioned before. Otherwise, how would he have gotten the interviews for them to know he was "real" in the first place? Sigh..... hahaha maybe they should grant automatic interviews too... heh.... i'll show them how "real" i am.... (not to mention how broke i am after going through all those interviews).

12. abw

abw Senior Member

just something to look forward to - when I was at usuhs, the admissions director had just got back from an admissions conference. She said that some schools decided that they will start charging interview fees in addition to secondary fees in future years.

13. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    Are you serious????!!! Man, these medical schools are even more greedy than I thought.

14. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I'm with DW on this one.... unless this dude was published in the New England Journel of Medicine... there's no way.

Pathdr2b: What are you talking about? And, why are you using words like "afore?" This is a chat board for christ's sake... not the governer's ball. ;)

15. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

16. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

17. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Banned
    Banned

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Banned
    Banned

OK, Relatively "Prune", I've been known to rename folks on these threads and the names stick! :laugh: :laugh:

19. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Yeah, what they left out is the guy's name:

John Hopkins, Jr.

J/k =P