for TUCOM students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Dancer, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Dancer

Dancer Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Everyone!
    This is my first time posting. I recently got into TUCOM and would be interested in hearing from students there. At my interview (on Nov 27th) I got a very favorable impression of the school. It seemed to me that the admissions dept. was really trying to recruit a very bright, diverse group of students and that there is a real feeling of community there, as well as excellent professors. Unfortunately, I only had the opportunity to speak to a couple of students. For you current students, would you say that my impression of the school was fairly accurate?

In particular:
    * What is the atmosphere of the student body? Is it very interesting and diverse?
    * How do you like the curriculum and profs?
    * For 3rd and 4th years, how are the rotations? Can many people rotate through the top hospitals in the area (i.e. UCSF)? Is there the opportunity to work with people who do OMT in many rotations?
    * How is the OMT instruction? and are osteopathic principles really emphasized in the curriculum?
    * Do you think that the amount of clinical experience in the first couple of years is good?
    * Do you really have any time to enjoy the Bay area?

I know this is a lot of questions, but any experiences and opinions you could share would be much appreciated. I'm strongly considering going there. :)

2. FutrDr. Watson

FutrDr. Watson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, I'll try to answer these questions but I'm just a first year (so I'm limited in Touro knowledge). There is a past post of some Touro students on their basic opinions of the school (thread was called "Western vs. Touro" or something like that).

I'll just get right to the questions: Student body is definitely diverse with a wealth of different cultures. Kind of hard to explain the atmosphere in a few words but it's a very helping/courteous group in the students help each other out (no competition b/n the students) and the teachers have done whatever it takes to ensure we are obtaining the material. The curriculum has changed from last year in now being a "block schedule." I'm sure you got this spill in your tour but basically we now have tests every 6weeks or so. I like it b/c we actually have time to do other things then study, but the downside is you have quite a few test in a short period of time. So yes we have time to enjoy the BAY area :) I won't comment on the rotations since I haven't gone through the process. I have not compared our OMT training to any other school, but I have found it to be well prepared and well taught (Plenty of DO's hanging around the area to help you out if needed). Osteopathic principles are included in our course we have; I wouldn't say it is emphasized but we do get a talk from a DO about their ideas of lymphatics, nervous system, etc. Clinical experience? I think a more senior Touro student will have to answer this.

I know this isn't very detailed but I think you get the idea. Read the thread and you will get more details. Good luck in School wherever you may end up

3. Dancer

Dancer Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks FutrDr. Watson! I'll almost definitely be going there next year. I'm getting excited! :p

4. M00se

M00se Member
    10+ Year Member

You can do rotations anywhere you want during your electives. A friend of mine just came through town on her way to Davis from Stanford and UCLA.
    Patient contact during the first two years is really limited, but some of the students have created their own opportunities. You have a ton of hands on work in PD and especially the out of class OMM assignments. As in any DO school its what you make of it. You can get away with doing little or you can put in 10 hrs a week in the OMM lab.
    During your 1st and 2nd (but mostly 2nd)you have an osteopathic consideratoins portion of each system. hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FutrDr. Watson

FutrDr. Watson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats, I'm happy I helped.