for tufts students - where do you live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbleWand1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting Tufts in the fall and am currently looking for a place to live - to Tufts students - can you tell me where you live, if it's walking distance/public transportation accessible, size, price range - just so I can get an idea, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Congrats on your acceptance at Tufts. :thumbup: I don't go there but am doing post-bac at BU and work very close to the Tufts campus. I would recommend you don't live too close to the school. It's pretty much in Chinatown and it's not the greatest area, although there's lots of good food. :) I would suggest the Beacon Hill area or around Mass General Hospital if you are not too concerned with how much you will be paying in rent. These areas are very close to campus, especially Beacon Hill, but it's a bit pricey. There's also the South End, right near by, but it's pricey and less nice. If you don't mind a commute I'd recommend going out on the Green Line towards BU/BC/ Longwood Medical and choosing something in Brookline: Coolidge Corner, Brookline Village, Brookline Hills. But this would make your commute about 30-40 minutes. Tufts is very accessible though (unlike BU) on the Green and Silver Lines of the MBTA.
Feel free to PM me for more info or if you have any questions.

Congrats again on your acceptance.

I also work close to the Tufts campus and live in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood, which is quite affordable and my favorite area of Boston (of the 3 where I've lived so far). JP is great for lots of reasons, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Two especially nice aspects of it are: (1) diverse community (Hispanic, white, gay/lesbian, etc., all living together in relative harmony; (2) convenient access to downtown Boston and the BU Medical/Tufts Medical/Chinatown areas. If you live in JP near the orange line (a subway line that is much more reliable than the green line, though admittedly less frequent during non-rush hours) you will be able to take the T directly to the Chinatown/Tufts Med area in <20 minutes (wait time not included).

Members don't see this ad :)
thegoogler said:
I also work close to the Tufts campus and live in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood, which is quite affordable and my favorite area of Boston (of the 3 where I've lived so far). JP is great for lots of reasons, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Two especially nice aspects of it are: (1) diverse community (Hispanic, white, gay/lesbian, etc., all living together in relative harmony; (2) convenient access to downtown Boston and the BU Medical/Tufts Medical/Chinatown areas. If you live in JP near the orange line (a subway line that is much more reliable than the green line, though admittedly less frequent during non-rush hours) you will be able to take the T directly to the Chinatown/Tufts Med area in <20 minutes (wait time not included).

(3) BEAUTIFUL Jamaica Pond :love:

Skichic56 said:
(3) BEAUTIFUL Jamaica Pond :love:

Thanks everyone for replying! Do you know of any students who live in the Brighton area and if so, what do you know about the area and how far is it from the Tufts med campus?

I am a former BU post-baccer and I lived in Brookline/Chestnut Hill near Boston College. I have to say that the neighborhoods off of the green line are my favorite. Particularly Coolidge corner. BUT, the commute is a pain in the a$$. It took me an hour to get to and from BU and would probably take about the same for Tufts. As of now I'm heading back to Boston for med school (and am hoping for Tufts, actually). I plan on living in Central Square (near Harvard/Cambridge). It's a great, relatively affordable neighborhood with lots of culture and lots of independently owned businesses around to explore. From here you jump on the red line to downtown crossing and then walk or take the silver line to campus. Or you could take the 1/CT1 bus down to Harrison Ave and take the Silver line in to campus.

And one more thing. IMHO, I don't trust in the orange line. It is the most unsafe of subway lines and so, being female, i wouldn't want to be in the position where I'd have to ride it alone at night. I used to take the green line and red lines very late in the evening without worry (as late as 1230am when they stop running) but I don't have the same confidence in the orange line AT ALL.

I certainly don't want to turn this discussion into a fight over which subway line is best, but I do feel compelled to defend the orange line. A couple of scary things in the past few years have happened on the orange line (e.g. a fight that began at the Forest Hills stop and culminated in a shooting at the Mass Ave stop, I believe), but those are very rare and they get a lot of press, so they stick in people's minds. Bad things (fights, violence, etc.) happen at some red line stops, too. The green line is much less reliable and much more crowded than the orange line - I try to avoid riding it, but I would say that about 50% of the time I ride it some kind of breakdown causes major delays. The other 50% of the time it is jam-packed with tourists and/or rabid Red Sox fans and/or BU undergrads - certainly does not make for a pleasant or quick commute! I actually moved out of the Allston/Brighton area BECAUSE of my horrific green line commute, and I recommend to anyone moving to Boston not to live in an area served only by the green line. I am female (and quite small), have ridden the orange line daily for the past three years, frequently after 10 PM, and have never ever had a safety problem, not even a minor one. In my experience, the reliability of the orange line versus the green line and the charms of some orange line neighborhoods easily beat out all green line neighborhoods.

Thowing in some more cents here...

I lived in Brighton briefly and liked the community. It is a mix of BU grad students (mainly), some BU undergrads, BC students and lower to middle income people. I lived on the Washinton Square stop on the B line, which was close to Whole Foods Market and several unique ethnic grocery places and restaurants. I was also a short walk to Washington Square on the C line, which is the area where Washington Street and Beacon Street intersect. There are some really nice shops and restaurants in this area. Often, to save myself from the B line commute I would walk to Washington Sqaure and take the C line into town. I only lived in Brighton for a summer, but I never experienced any kind of problems. It was always quiet and much nicer and cleaner than Allston. I would definitely recommend it if you don't mind about a 45-60 minute commute on the green line.

About the green line, what others are saying is true. It is the slowest of all the Boston lines and you're probably better staying away from it if you want an easy commute. As for the green line vs. orange line debate, I can't say much about the orange line, having only ridden it once or twice, but things can get a little out of control on the green line at times too. I'm not talking murders or assaults or anything, but during Red Sox games, the fans (often drunk) can get rowdy and obnoxious. I've been groped and harassed on the green line by drunken fools many a time and would caution any females in Boston about this. The biggest problem with the Green line is the overcrowding (especially during rush hour and Sox games) and the general slowness of the thing. It practically stops every single block on the B line.

Cammy's recommendation about the red line and the Harvard area neighborhoods is a good one.
But I still favor my initial suggestion of Beacon Hill. It's pricier than the green line neighborhoods, but will be very convenient for you at Tufts. You can even walk in the nice weather. And it is all in all a beautiful neighboorhood.
In this case it might be wise to part with some extra cash each month and save yourself some aggravation with dealing with the T.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

While Brighton is a fine neighborhood it would be a nightmare commute while going to tufts, plus the apartments are dumps. The other suggestions are all good: JP, Cambridge red line areas, beacon hill ($$ and small).

I'm partial to the South End, if you get the right area you can walk and there are buses running up Harrison, Washington and Albany all the time. I recall a new apartment building being built on the corner (NE) of East Berkeley St. and Washington St. that I thought would be great for Tufts med students.

There is also a funny little area right behind (west) the theaters between the mass pike and stuart st called Bay Village. I have rarely ever seen apartments for rent there but if you are traveling to the area before school starts take a walk over there you will be impressed and its only 4-5 blocks from school. The neighborhood is super tight but very friendly so if you see anyone walking around don't be afraid to ask.

My last suggestion is South Boston, if your on the #9 or #11 bus you have access to the redline(9) and to school.

good luck, PM if you need to.

thegoogler said:
In my experience, the reliability of the orange line versus the green line and the charms of some orange line neighborhoods easily beat out all green line neighborhoods.

The green D line isn't bad, though. :) If I were going to Tufts, I would live in the South End (around Restaurant Row, not down near Roxbury), the Back Bay (if you can find affordable housing), Beacon Hill, Fenway, or Kenmore.

criminallyinane said:
The green D line isn't bad, though. :) If I were going to Tufts, I would live in the South End (around Restaurant Row, not down near Roxbury), the Back Bay (if you can find affordable housing), Beacon Hill, Fenway, or Kenmore.

right on. D line is great. Brookline village has already been mentioned. also try apartments on the Riverway, a short walk to the Brookline Village T but in Boston (on the line, ie cheaper). right around the Fenway T stop on Park st. is a good spot to, lots of BU students, Fenway, REI. Come to think of it St. Mary's C line stop is okay to. Your only 4 or so stops from boylston and school.

conure said:
right on. D line is great. Brookline village has already been mentioned. also try apartments on the Riverway, a short walk to the Brookline Village T but in Boston (on the line, ie cheaper). right around the Fenway T stop on Park st. is a good spot to, lots of BU students, Fenway, REI. Come to think of it St. Mary's C line stop is okay to. Your only 4 or so stops from boylston and school.

Yeah, St. Mary's is an excellent choice. Very nice area and close to the city. There are some good restaurants around. You're close to grocery stores in either Coolidge Corner or Fenway and there is this delicious French bakery....mmmmm.

what locations are in walking distance of the school?

Nice:
Beacon Hill
Lower Back Bay
Theater district
Parts of the South End

Not so nice:
Chinatown
Parts of the South End

If you don't need a lot of space, I recommend Beacon Hill. Beautiful neighborhood, easy walk to Tufts around the Common, which is beautiful. However, it's very expensive. Also, if you have a car, there is NO PARKING in Beacon Hill except street parking which is damn near impossible to find. I imagine Tufts students would need cars (I think they even told me that at the interview because you might do rotations out in Newton, Burlington, etc... although you could get to NWH easily on the green line... but I digress.) Still, if you're looking for a nice neighborhood in walking distance, Beacon Hill is great. Not nearly as close as living right in the theater district, though.

How close in "the Back Bay" to Tufts?

I am interviewing there and a friend of mine offered their apartment to me for the days that I am there.

Just want to know how close it is to Tufts, or if anyone might have some opinions on it?

Thanks!