Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

For Tulane Medical Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DarksideAllstar, Mar 6, 2002.

1. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A few questions:
    1. Why did you choose Tulane over other schools?
    2. What do you think sets it apart from other programs? Strengths? Weaknesses? Special Programs?
    3. Do you have time to participate in research or other EC's? The lecture schedule on the web looks like you are in lecture all day.
    4. Students cohesive or competitive?
    5. How is the financial aid?
    6. Is housing affordable? Do most commute or live in dorms?
    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,

I'm a T1...

1) I chose it mostly b/c I wanted an urban school with a county hospital. I liked New Orleans a lot, and I liked the students I met. They seemed to have fun and enjoy their time in med school, and they made it seem fun, not a drag.

2) Strengths lie in clinical experience, MPH option, cool students and faculty, lots of community service, great city for young people, and options to learn clinical skills very early. Weakness is research, but that doesn't figure at all for me. Also, I think there are too many lecture hours, and that the PBL programs haven't been used enough.

3) The lectures, to me, are optional. I don't go. Frankly, the note service is solid, and the faculty makes the exams reflect what was on the lecture notes, study guides, and handouts. No need for going to class, if that isn't your thing. I think med schools either have to reduce lecture hours, or provide a solid foundation (note service and handouts) to allow for independent learning. It is stupid to spend 25-30 hours a week in class when you can just study that much on your own and learn it just the same.

4) Very cohesive. Very cooperative. Pretty fun kids who also get very involved in the community. I wouldn't say non-competitive, because to me, that would be a negative. I want to do well, and I'm competing in terms of doing the best I can. The way the grading works, everyone can honor. The last biochem exam will have an average of over 90. That means almost half the class will have honors, b/c there is no curve.

5) Financial aid sucks. I'm taking almost all loans. Some people get scholarships, but I'm not one of them.

6) Housing is very cheap, but a lot of first years live in the (expensive) dorms. You can find great places for 350-450 a month, if you have a roommate.

Good luck,

Simul

4. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your response Simul.
    I am currently trying to decide between my state school (Nevada) and Tulane, if it were a matter of picking school based purely on reputation and clinical experiences/opportunity I would choose Tulane, hands down. In some ways the city reminds me of my hometown, Las Vegas, but with culture. I guess I am just weighing the social pitfalls of choosing Tulane. My family and girlfriend (of 3 years) are on the West Coast, so it would be a rather difficult 4 years from that standpoint. Cost doesn't really matter to me, but tuition at Nevada is about $8k/year, plus I got a scholarship, which has made me rethink the debt issue ($40K total debt or $150K?).
    Any other comments are greatly appreciated. :)