For Tyra

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E

Eyegirl2007

Hi Tyra,

I read your post on the MCAT forum about all the "negative comments about optometry." Really? Where? Once in a while we get a troll in here but they usually go away pretty quickly.

I've been told (by two different schools, ICO and IU) that there is competition which can be negative between optometrists and mostly primary care opthalmologists but that each relationship is different. I've also been told that more and more opthalmologists are realizing that they fulfill a different niche than optometrists. I have seen this first hand when I've shadowed at hospitals.

There's always someone griping about someone's else's health care profession..."Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends..." I choose to ignore these comments and concentrate on what I love about optometry. The recent interviews I've had have only confirmed my conviction to become an optometrist.

As to the OAt prep materials question, you're right. There is sh$t out there for prep stuff. The top score cd has questions that are harder than the OAt, while the Lippincott ones are easier! This is what I did--I bought review books for each individual subject (high yield) and studied my textbooks according to the Lippincott outlines. I also did actual OAt practice tests so I would have some idea of my performance. of course, I don't know how I did yet...so I guess you'll have to take this with a grain of salt.

Have a good weekend:)
Eyegirl.

Members don't see this ad.

Eyegirl2007

I can't remember which forum exactly (I've been reading almost everything on this site since I found it), but there has been some really mean things said about the profession! When I was younger, I used to have so many problems with my eyes, so I was always visiting an ophthalmologist and optometrist. I never knew of the rivalry then. You're right- why can't we all just get along? I love the profession of optometry! I get so excited just thinking of the day I can go to optometry school (I'm taking OAT next October and applying for early admit to ICO for 2004). But on the other forums- and even once on this forum- MD's and OMD's have been saying things like "optometrists aren't real doctors" or weren't "smart enough" to even get into medical school---what's with that? I've taken a lot of time to research this profession and have compared it to the medical profession. During undergrad, pre optometry follows the pre med curriculum exactly except maybe an extra physics class ( to get the section on optics). So if your fellow classmates are in the same classes as you and you're getting comparable grades, why do they feel we're not smart enough? To me, it seems as if optometrists learn much more about the eye early on. They just can't perform surgery (among a few other things I'm sure). Well let me get off this subject b4 I get myself mad.

I did get a postcard today from Border's Bookstore---the book I ordered 5 weeks ago has finally come! The Complete Preparation For the OAT is there. I, too, have done like you Eyegirl and have been buying each section separately--Gre Biology, MCAT Biology, some Chemistry stuff---why do they neglect us so? They even have PCAT stuff!

I bought the one giant Kaplan MCAT book.. and the lippincott book.. that was all I used. Seemed to all work out okay. Good luck guys !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also bought the big Kaplan book -- be sure to look on half.com and other close-out places for *last* year's models. Same info, but less than half the price! :D

What's the "big Kaplan book"? Are you guys talking about that really fat Kaplan MCAT book with the CDROM in it? I just came back from Borders--the Lippincott OAT prep book I ordered 5 wks ago just came in. How come there's not a lot of prep materials for the OAT out there?

Not enough people take the OAT for them to stock the books in every bookstore. yes, I mean the Kaplan book with the CD ROM in it. That's what I used to study from. The science reviews in there were MUCH better than the OAT prep books. Although the Lippincott book is good to get an outline of the material covered. I ordered the Lippincott book of barnes and noble.com and got it in less than a week!

Good luck with the studying!! I have a pharm test tomorrow :eek: So, I'm back to my desk.

tyra,
My undergrad advisor has a saying. He's a clinical psychologist, a pHd, who experiences a similar situation with psychiatrists. He always says "MD's protect their own, to the exclusion of all others." Take this with a grain of salt, please. All flames will be directed to the dragon in the basement.

I think it's mostly ignorance of what we actually do, the fact that some optometrists work retail--which some people believe
cheapens the profession, and some big ol' egos out there.

Personally, with my numbers and record I believe I could totally get into med school. Except that I really wouldn't want to. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just really really not for me.

Optometry is in my heart and soul. That's all that really matters to me.