? for UCSF applicants. (and columbia/nyu)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm sitting here waiting to receive my secondary from UCSF (just sent in my check) but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what essay questions I can expect to be on it so I can get a little head start. Also, does Columbia or NYU have a secondary? If so, could someone post those questions as well? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

columbia doesn't have a secondary, UCSF's has 13 questions or so, the longest in the counry! If you can wait a couple days I'll e-mail you the questions when I get home...

13?! Thanks Waiting, that'd be great.
Does anyone know any questions off-hand just so I can get started this weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
here they are:

1. How did you arrive at the career decision to select dentistry as a profession?

2. Describe any experience volunteer or observational in the dental field, and explain what you were able to do and for how long as well as how it reinforced your career choice.

3. What impact do you feel your socioeconomic status has had on your plans to pursue a dental education? Please explain.

4. Explain any personal hardships (if any) you have overcome to get to where you are today.

5. If you were employed while attending college, how many hours a week were you employed, and what was the nature of your work?

6. List any activities indicative of your independent academic endeavors such as publications or research projects.

7. Have you ever been recognized for any outstanding scholarly achievements, athletic, or musical talent, or community service? Please explain.

8. How and in what way have you demonstrated your concern for the less fortunate in your community?

9. Are you proficient in any other language either written or conversational?

10. In an age of managed care, how can the dentist advocate patient care first, over personal or corporate profit? Explain.

11. When you become a dentist, how and where do you envision your skills being employed?

12. Please state briefly why you should be selected for admission to UCSF over other applicants with similar qualifications.

they don't give you too much paper, so you have to limit your response to one paragraph each.

:) good luck :)

ricegirl

Hey Ricegirl, thanks so much for posting all the questions :) Jeez...all this writing is making me think twice about applying there...better get started.

They also ask two more questions:

1. List the educational (not fincancial) resources available in your home and community prior to entering college. Please explain how you used them.

2. Describe previous social/educational/economic barriers. Please underline any additional factors which have not been mentioned previously or adequately in the questionaire. If these factors (social, environmental, economic, or educational) influenced your future goals and plans, please explain.

Personally, these questions were horrible to answer. Especially in conjuction with some of the previous questions (i.e. #4). But at least I am finally done with them :)

I had to fill out a secondary at my NYU interview. Basically, it was the same questions they asked on the AADSAS app. They just want you to give updated info.