For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm stuck on 5/7, 5/8, and 5/9. That is a tasty little trio. Now I'm at 5/11. The 1977 Sugarees are great. They go on for ever.
Ahw yeah. I’m gonna crush on 5/11/77 tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Listening to a really nice show from 5/13/83, particularly with a really good Eyes, 20 minutes long. Plus a China Cat that starts out entirely with Brent playing the intro riff on keys, sans guitar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Listening to a really nice show from 5/13/83, particularly with a really good Eyes, 20 minutes long. Plus a China Cat that starts out entirely with Brent playing the intro riff on keys, sans guitar.

A 20 minute Eyes is worth listening to, even if it's during the heroin/cocained-up times from the 80's. Putting it on now.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 20 minute Eyes is worth listening to, even if it's during the heroin/cocained-up times from the 80's. Putting it on now.

WHOA NOW

I just looked at the setlist.

WHOA NOW!!!!!

Is it possible the first set is better than the second set? No it is not. That only happened a few times in history, one that comes to mind is 3/19/77.

This is the first Bucket ever. EVER! But that first set has the famous CRS opener, West LA Fadeaway, and numerous other goodies. Bird Song! Let It Grow! Let the Bird Songs grow!

Second set. I mean it's got a famous doozie after another. Famous combos of China > Rider and Estimated > Eyes. Hmm. Very nice.

This is a famous show I believe. Was it ever released? Hmm...
Looks like they had a little ~20 date tour from late March to late April on the east coast. And they didn't play again for another month.

Maybe they just wanted to make their time in Berkeley special.

This is the first Bucket ever. EVER!
Yeah. Pretty cool. I like that song too. I think Brent had more of a hand in writing it than the band lets on. It sounds nothing like a typical Weir/Barlow song. I see 10% W/B and 90% Brent.

Second set. I mean it's got a famous doozie after another. Famous combos of China > Rider and Estimated > Eyes. Hmm. Very nice.

This is a famous show I believe. Was it ever released? Hmm...
I don't think it's that famous. I could be wrong. Maybe it is in some circles, I don't know. I don't think it was ever released, though.

Maybe they just wanted to make their time in Berkeley special.
Probably.

Another thing about this show is that it a rare one where the AUD is maybe as good (better?) compared to some of the boards.

Last edited:
Yeah. I don't ever assume all of the Dead ever played 100% clean on any given night, either, although I suppose the planets may have aligned that way once or twice in a blue moon. But this is one show where whatever "assistance" they had clearly did not harm the art.

Yeah. Pretty cool. I like that song too. I think Brent had more of a hand in writing it than the band lets on. It sounds nothing like a typical Weir/Barlow song. I see 10% W/B and 90% Brent.

I don't think it's that famous. I could be wrong. Maybe it is in some circles, I don't know. I don't think it was ever released, though.

Probably.

Another thing about this show is that it a rare one where the AUD is maybe as good (better?) compared to some of the boards.

Yea I'm listening to the Charlie Miller board. Source ID 95059. It's not great. Brent it turned up too much. It's not Charlie's fault. I think the recordings in the 80's suck. That's the problem.

Plus Jerry isn't signing well. He has a pain in his voice. Usually he has a nice, vulnerable sounding voice. But here to me it sounds painful.

This run would make a nice little box set if we had good recordings.

The Hell In A Bucket is hard to listen to. But it was a first!

Today I'm listening to 5/15/77 at St. Louis. It has a really good Eyes of the World as well as a beautiful version of St Stephen with silky clean guitar leading into the first Iko, Iko ever, which is interwoven within Not Fade Away. Nice UJB encore, too. I like this show.

Chillin’ poolside with my new dog, listening to a super tasty Comes a Time from today in ‘78 (rare for the time).

5/16/78 Uptown Theatre, Chicago
E845A186-7A8C-4137-BF92-7A92EC8B7909.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, this is good. This is good.

5/17/77 Memorial Coliseum, Tuscaluoosa

If you only have a few minutes, check out tracks 13, 14 (Scarlet>Fire). Otherwise, let the whole show roll out. You won't be disappointed.

I listened to this last night. I like the ending of Scarlet merging into Fire, and Donna sounds particularly good on Looks like Rain.

Down in Alabama!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm watching 7/4/87
It's in Massachseuttes, Fourth of July.
On youtube.

Jerry looks so happy. This is about a year after he went into DKA (which I presume that's what they mean when he had "a diabetic coma.")

He looks happy. Relatively thin.
Phil has a terrible haircut but is smiling.
Bob's short jean shorts are squeezing his balls so tight that he's an octave higher. be he looks happy.

Got to be a good time. They opened with Touch of Grey!

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm watching 7/4/87
It's in Massachseuttes, Fourth of July.
On youtube.

Jerry looks so happy. This is about a year after he went into DKA (which I presume that's what they mean when he had "a diabetic coma.")

He looks happy. Relatively thin.
Phil has a terrible haircut but is smiling.
Bob's short jean shorts are squeezing his balls so tight that he's an octave higher. be he looks happy.

Got to be a good time. They opened with Touch of Grey!

Ooh...your video is good. I'm gonna have to check that out later.

Today, I'm already spinning 5/19/74 Portland. It's just great, great, great, peak, peak, peak. I got mostly through set 1 on my morning run and drive to work. The whole band is on, even Donna. Keith's keys are just otherworldly, quiet and perfectly placed in the background. That guy was special and hugely underrated.

Make sure to listen to the matrix, though. The vocals drop out at points on all the soundboards and are better on the dave usborne matrix. This show was an official release. It's that good.

It's amazing how many times this band peaked. Late '60s, '70-'71, '72, '73-'74, '77, then late '80s-early '90s again. Unreal. And all while doing it live on stage, not by some magic making team of producers on laptop computers.

Have any of you read any good books by Dead band members, worth reading? I've read excerpts from Bill Kreutzmann's and it seems interesting. I heard Phil wrote one. Are any of them worth reading?

Today, I'm already spinning 5/19/74 Portland. It's just great, great, great, peak, peak, peak. I got mostly through set 1 on my morning run and drive to work. The whole band is on, even Donna. Keith's keys are just otherworldly, quiet and perfectly placed in the background. That guy was special and hugely underrated.

Make sure to listen to the matrix, though. The vocals drop out at points on all the soundboards and are better on the dave usborne matrix. This show was an official release. It's that good.

It's amazing how many times this band peaked. Late '60s, '70-'71, '72, '73-'74, '77, then late '80s-early '90s again. Unreal. And all while doing it live on stage, not by some magic making team of producers on laptop computers.
If you have time for only one song in this show check out Truckin’>>Mind Left Body Jam. It’s very cool.

If you have time for only one song in this show check out Truckin’>>Mind Left Body Jam. It’s very cool.

I just spent a good few days about a week ago exploring that little ditty. It really is fabulous!

I’ll get to your other question in the next few days. I’ve read three or 4 books. Rock Scully’s, Phil Hart’s, and Bill Kreutzmann’s. All three are good in their own way. I’ll write more later.

The whole show is stellar, but the Playin' from 5/20/73 is worth checking out.

Last edited:
5/21/77. Nearly flawless to my ears. Most underrated Dead show ever?

LOL

isn’t that a dicks picks?

you are like a kid in a candy store listening to May 77.
It’s #29. Such a great show. They are pretty much flawless on this one.

Yup
Dick liked this show much more than most in May 1977.

In fact he had a list of 10 shows in May 1977 that were better than Cornell.

This might actually be my favorite cover of a Dead song. Track 18 if it didn't link correctly. Gotta make it through to the perfect harmonies at the, "Across the Rio Grande..."

Couple of good Beatles and Pink Floyd covers in there, too. Along with some great originals.

Enjoying this now. Can confirm: Usborne matrix is the way to go.

That 74 show is one of my new favorites. I don’t know how I’ve never listened to it.

This might actually be my favorite cover of a Dead song. Track 18 if it didn't link correctly. Gotta make it through to the perfect harmonies at the, "Across the Rio Grande..."

Couple of good Beatles and Pink Floyd covers in there, too. Along with some great originals.

That is a very well done Half Step. Nice playing, too.

That 74 show is one of my new favorites. I don’t know how I’ve never listened to it.
5/19/74?

Yeah, it's ridiculous. First listen for me too, I think.

5/19/74?

Yeah, it's ridiculous. First listen for me too, I think.
Yup! Listened to it last night while reviewing radiology. Great show from start to finish. They really put some stank on the Truckin’!

May was an incredible month for the Dead. Over the last couple of weeks I've listened to shows from '66, '69, most of the '70s, '81, '83, '93. All absolutely fantastic. Pretty incredible the quality over a 30 year time span. Love it.

Reactions: 2 users
May was an incredible month for the Dead. Over the last couple of weeks I've listened to shows from '66, '69, most of the '70s, '81, '83, '93. All absolutely fantastic. Pretty incredible the quality over a 30 year time span. Love it.
Gimme your best May ‘93 show. Got some time to listen this weekend, eating this 11 lb pulled pork I just took off the smoker, hanging out by my pool.

Btw, @thegenius did you ever get yourself a smoker?

Gimme your best May ‘93 show. Got some time to listen this weekend, eating this 11 lb pulled pork I just took off the smoker, hanging out by my pool.

5/23/93 was the one I listened to and really enjoyed it!

Heh, May 93 doesn't pop out at me. I would pick any show that has Days Between and/or So Many Roads.

You can look here for an in-depth analysis, deeper than you ever would want and deeper than any endocolonoscope has ever gone, of 1993 here.
Same link: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/mleone/web/gdead/dead-sets/93/useless-deadstats.txt

Haven't bought the smoker yet. I got that book you recommended about 3 weeks ago.
We just entered escrow on buying a house (as you write...life goes on).
We will be moving if everything goes well in about 1 month, end of June.

So hopefully I will get one a month or two after we move.

Started the day listening to 5/25/72 in England, Lyceum Theatre. Pretty sweet, damn near perfect. I got 1/3 the way through on my am run.

Now, baking on the sun poolside listening to some ‘90s Alt on Spotify before I circle back to ‘72 Dead.

52ABEA48-3C08-4C52-8635-90F30BC9B801.png

• Love
Amazing Terrapin>Dew with one of the best Morning Dew's of all time. Phenomenal Half Step, too. Man, I wish I had the time to watch this whole show. Maybe my weekend project. We shall see...

Last edited:
Today, listening to 5/28/77, Hartford.

If you have only time for one song, check out track 3, Sugaree. The soloing just never, never stops. It's great. And the sound on the official release (To Terrapin: Hartford '77) is just perfect. Also, what's with the guitar tone on the Wharf Rat solo? You almost never here Jerry use that tone.

Last edited:

If you have only time for one song, check out track 3, Sugaree. The soloing just never, never stops. It's great. And the sound on the official release (To Terrapin: Hartford '77) is just perfect. Also, what's with the guitar tone on the Wharf Rat solo? You almost never here Jerry use that tone.
Dude, keep posting these awesome shows. I've got to start following the Dead of the Day site more closely.

Dude, keep posting these awesome shows. I've got to start following the Dead of the Day site more closely.
Will do!

Yeah. It's awesome. It's forced me to discover some gold while listening on my morning runs that I wouldn't have otherwise. The only trouble is when you get through a stretch like May and there's too many amazing shows from different years on a given day! Lol. May '77, Europe '72 in May and May '73/'74 shows on the same day. During certain parts of the year, sometimes the 2nd or 3rd best show on a given day, are seriously top shelf stuff! What's a Deadhead to do?! Lol

• Haha

I know that Sugaree. Sugaree's get better and better in May 77. Kind of like the Scarlet > Fires.

If you're a fan of Phil's bass playing, it's turned up loud enough to punch you through the speakers on 5/29/71, starting with The Other One and for the duration. I enjoyed this one a lot, for that reason. Also, there's a really cool outra to Going Down The Road that I've never heard before (+ bass solo?).

There's quite a story about this show, where apparently giant garbage cans of LSD infused punch was brought in and given to everyone there, aka, the "Acid Punch Show." Interestingly, this show is the first time the Dead every played Hard to Handle and Promised Land; well played, but that part of the tape is pretty harsh.

Last edited: