For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Listed to 8/20/83 Frost Amphitheatre today, which is a solid '80s listen.

Or, if in the mood for a non-Dead nugget, I stumbled upon this brand new Weezer song, that's surprisingly shred-tastic, Beginning of the End from their upcoming album Van Weezer.

Members don't see this ad.

This is so trippy...

THAT IS SOME REAL GOOD ****!!

where has that been for my entire life?

It's like classic 70's trip/funk. This is how 24-38 yo people partied in the 70's. They would listen to this, drop acid or get high, and then **** each other all night.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
THAT IS SOME REAL GOOD ****!!

where has that been for my entire life?

It's like classic 70's trip/funk. This is how 24-38 yo people partied in the 70's. They would listen to this, drop acid or get high, and then **** each other all night.
I know! I didn't know this existed either. They did two albums and they're nuts. Wild stuff. Me likie.

Reactions: 1 user
I can listen to that stuff all day long. I'm going to fire it up on the way to work today. It's not even Jerry centric either. It's just plain old funk/trip/drippy goodness. I bet if doctors could do PCR back then, there would be a lot of +GC/CT urine specimens.

• Love
I'm listening to this right now. I like it a lot. Fun vibe, crystalline sound. (Miller SBD) - 8/28/81

Alternate: Had an intern rotating with me in clinic today. He wanted to listen to Pantera, so we did in my office between patients. 5 Minutes Alone - Pantera

"I been ballin' a shiny black steel jack-hammer
Been chipping up rocks for the great highway
Live five years if I take my time
Ballin' that jack and a drinking my wine
" - Pigpen, 9/1/69, Baton Rouge

This is so trippy...

I haven't looked at this thread in over a week and log in to see this! I literally listened to this album last Monday or Tuesday while out for a walk. How's that for synchronicity?

I haven't looked at this thread in over a week and log in to see this! I literally listened to this album last Monday or Tuesday while out for a walk. How's that for synchronicity?
Yeah, I know. Crazy. "The collective consciousness," as Phil Lesh likes to call it.

Today I'm listening to 9/2/83 at Boise State and it's not to be blown off. Highlights are: The Wang Dang Doodle opener, Big Railroad Blues (Jerry ties one on) and Help>Slip>Franklins (Jerry is writing Foolish Heart during Franklin's, lol amazing!) Honorable mention: It's All Over Now Baby Blue encore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been playing this show on repeat in the background today at work and I think we've been through it at least 4 times so far. This one is sweet, sweet, top shelf stuff. Highlights: An incredible, jammed out, bonkers Not Fade Away (my favorite ever), a near perfect Mississippi Halfstep and excellent Eyes of the World.

9/3/77 Englishtown, soak it in.

1599150905013.png

1599150922401.png

cc: @thegenius @24GaugeEJ

Last edited:
Wow, thanks. I'm kind of blown away by that cover. It's dreamy, floating and takes me to another place. It sounds nothing like the original, but covers that bring something new are the best.

Here's another thing that's weird. While listening to it, I was thinking, the shimmery, dreamy, floaty production reminds me of Daniel Lanois' work producing Bob Dylan's great comeback album Time Out Of Mind and U2's Joshua Tree. Thinking he probably wasn't around anymore, I looked it up and sure enough, there's Daniel Lanois listed as a mixer on this record. It also kind of reminds me of Beck's album Morning Phase for which he won album of the year (causing Kanye to run on stage and say Beck robbed Beyonce ). Cool stuff though, man. I hadn't heard of this guy but I'll check him out. Anyone that is inspired by artists I love deserves a second listen.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks. I'm kind of blown away by that cover. It's dreamy, floating and takes me to another place. It sounds nothing like the original, but covers that bring something new are the best.

Here's another thing that's weird. While listening to it, I was thinking, the shimmery, dreamy, floaty production reminds me of Daniel Lanois' work producing Bob Dylan's great comeback album Time Out Of Mind and U2's Joshua Tree. Thinking he probably wasn't around anymore, I looked it up and sure enough, there's Daniel Lanois listed as a mixer on this record. It also kind of reminds me of Beck's album Morning Phase for which he won album of the year (causing Kanye to run on stage and say Beck robbed Beyonce ). Cool stuff though, man. I hadn't heard of this guy but I'll check him out. Anyone that is inspired by artists I love deserves a second listen.

Time Out Of Mind and Morning Phase are both great records. Devendra Banhart's latest - Ma is great & very tastefully produced.

I definitely hear the Daniel Lanois and Beck comparisons.
Jerry's soloing on this is just fantastic and inspired. He's channeling something (or someone) here, and to have the video makes it so, so special.

12/31/78 Winterland
Sugar>Scarlet>Fire
I used to watch the video of this show constantly. Love it.

I used to watch the video of this show constantly. Love it.
You can definitely see where in the middle of his soloing on Scarlet>Fire Jerry goes into a trance like he's staring at some pet fire-breathing dragon on stage in front of him, or something. Legend has it, he probably was, Lol. Just crazy. Didn't hurt the sololing, though. It just channeled through him for what seems like forever.

• Haha
I've been playing this show on repeat in the background today at work and I think we've been through it at least 4 times so far. This one is sweet, sweet, top shelf stuff. Highlights: An incredible, jammed out, bonkers Not Fade Away (my favorite ever), a near perfect Mississippi Halfstep and excellent Eyes of the World.

9/3/77 Englishtown, soak it in.

View attachment 317560

View attachment 317561

cc: @thegenius @24GaugeEJ

A very special show and on my rota of about 30-50 songs I cycle through, the Not Fade Away (21 minutes!) > Truckin (first in 1977) is extra special!

• Love
I love the way Phil opens up this 9/10/91 show with Marsalis. He slinks up and down that bass-neck plucking away like he'll die if he doesn't get every note in. And he's turned up in the mix. I like this show a lot. Marsalis seems to feel at home sitting in this time and he pushes the band in a way that brings them alive. This version of the band, albeit so different than in the '60s, '70's and '80s, is great in it's own that, at least on nights like this. Bruce in on fire here, too. This is an enjoyable show. The whole show is excellent but a few highlights are: A great Dark Star>Drums>Space> Dark Star (last great DS?), Help>Slipknot>Franklin's, High Time, Shakedown, and It Takes a Lot to Laugh.

If you like '73, you should consider revisiting 9/11/73 at William & Mary College (2-source matrix by dusborne). There's some pretty cool bass tones from Phil during Dark Star. I like the Morning Dew, too (only flaw is a brief, but acceptable aud patch towards end). There's a lot of good here, in this show.

I like the Scarlet>Fire from today in ‘90. Real nice, Jerry’s weathered but in key, his playing is sharp, and the whole band is tight, including newbie Vince. 1990 is growing on me.

9/14/90

Not a Dead tune, but check out: Death By Rock n' Roll, by The Pretty Reckless. This song rocks hard and it's brand new. You'll never believe who the lead singer is/was.

Last edited:
Morning Dew from today in ‘87 is worth a listen.

9/18/87 MSG

@24GaugeEJ & @thegenius @bearstanley @B-Bone

I have a new project. I was wondering what you guys think:

DEAD CAREER LISTENING TOUR

Thoughts?

A bold adventure that is sure to leave you happy and fulfilled.
Well it's not really all that bold but it sure sound fun.
My dead listening has gone down over the past 1-2 months. I'm in trading options mode right now and quite happy with the results.
This happens to me...I go in cycles. I still listen to them and put them in the background. Just did it today at work, listened to a '72 show while I was running around like I was a chicken with it's head chopped off.

I don't have a record player anymore, but that looks pretty awesome. I'd buy it if I did, though. Most of my vinyl is in a box in the attic. Some great, great old classics.

You totally should get a record player if you've got stacks in your attic. There are great new ones on the market & vintage ones are pretty easy to come by.

You totally should get a record player if you've got stacks in your attic. There are great new ones on the market & vintage ones are pretty easy to come by.
But, what one should really do is get a turntable that has a digital input. Vinyl is a consumable media. Every play changes the sound. Eventually, it won't sound like anything. So, the best thing is to catch that sound once, with all the warmth, snaps, crackles, and pops. Otherwise, it WILL happen is that, what you want, you can't get.

But, what one should really do is get a turntable that has a digital input. Vinyl is a consumable media. Every play changes the sound. Eventually, it won't sound like anything. So, the best thing is to catch that sound once, with all the warmth, snaps, crackles, and pops. Otherwise, it WILL happen is that, what you want, you can't get.

You mean digital output, right?

I have a few players, one with digital output, and I've done some archiving of weird old records that it's hard to find digital copies of. While quite nice, I find that those digital files don't quite produce the warmth of the vinyl coming through a nice analog amp. Mostly I use the digital output function to make mixes for friends (possibly my favorite hobby).

You're definitely correct that each spin of a record scrapes a little vinyl off and degrades the record, and if you play 'em enough times there'll be no record left. On the other hand, I have a huge collection and no one record gets too many plays (excepting Daft Punk & Run DMC cuz my kids request them constantly and The Breeders' Pod because my wife plays that one waaaay too much). So the process of degradation of the records that I care about (like John Fahey's Blind Joe Death, or Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, or Alice Coltrane's Journey In Satchidanada, or my copy of Old & In the Way, or...you get the point) will take so long that it's more of a theoretical than actual concern for me.

Reactions: 2 users
You can't always get what you want. XD Nevertheless, onward we must struggle, against the forces of entropy!

The Viola Lee Blues from 5/2/70....wow.

This Harpur College show (DP 8 version) is just amazing, top to bottom.

That jam about 3/4 through Dark Star on 10/31/71... Wow.

There's a neat show posted up on the Dead of the Day site from the Melk Weg in 81. From the description, the sets were somewhat impromptu (insofar as they had not been on the original tour schedule) and the Dead had to play on borrowed instruments. It's an audience recording, but they play well and the sound is a just a bit different from the rest of the shows during this era. It's a pretty cool one.

There's a neat show posted up on the Dead of the Day site from the Melk Weg in 81. From the description, the sets were somewhat impromptu (insofar as they had not been on the original tour schedule) and the Dead had to play on borrowed instruments. It's an audience recording, but they play well and the sound is a just a bit different from the rest of the shows during this era. It's a pretty cool one.
That is a cool show. I listened to that one last year on this day. It's definitely worth a relisten.

That jam about 3/4 through Dark Star on 10/31/71... Wow.

well that's a famous show. DP 2 or 4 if I recall. I think that Dark Star is the Beautiful Jam? No...wait....no it's just a Feeling Groovy. Well **** I can't remember! It's great though. Give you good feelings inside ya.

well that's a famous show. DP 2 or 4 if I recall. I think that Dark Star is the Beautiful Jam? No...wait....no it's just a Feeling Groovy. Well **** I can't remember! It's great though. Give you good feelings inside ya.
Yeah, man. Definitely.

I'm currently listening to DP #30 on my Grateful Dead Career-Listening Tour, and I'm my full review later. But holy s***, this "Jam (with Bo Diddley)" is bad af. Lol. Feel the groove, man. Big time. Damn

Yeah, man. Definitely.

I'm currently listening to DP #30 on my Grateful Dead Career-Listening Tour, and I'm my full review later. But holy s***, this "Jam (with Bo Diddley)" is bad af. Lol. Feel the groove, man. Big time. Damn
Hey Bo Diddley! Yes! That is an awesome one!

Garcia/Saunders, "Are You Lonely For Me, Baby?" 1/17/74

You're welcome

Listening to this, today. The perfect antidote:

1605276080182.png