SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Stephen Ewen, Mar 24, 2001.

  1. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  2. gower

    gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

    Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    If any graduate of a foreign medical school expects to be able obtain residencies and become licensed to practice in the United States, they must have earned the medical degree at a medical school with a listing in the World Directory of Medical Schools, a UN World Health Organization (WHO) publication.

    Each government in the world is asked to submit to WHO a list of their recognized medical schools. For the US and Puerto Rico that list consists only of medical schools accredited by the Association of American Medical Colleges(AAMC). There are four medical schools in Puerto Rico, but only three are AAMC accredited. Graduates of the fourth school, recognized only by the Commonwealth of PR, can be licensed to practice in PR, but not in the 50 states.
  3. Stephen Ewen

    Stephen Ewen 10+ Year Member

    Graduates of San Juan Bautista SOM in PR are treated as any other IMG amd must go through the same procedures to practice in the U.S.
  4. Stephen Ewen

    Stephen Ewen 10+ Year Member

    Also, I should have said, "Every WHO LISTED Med School on Earth." There are a good number of non-WHO listed schools that graduate competent docs to practice in the home countries.
  5. Mig2x

    Mig2x Member 10+ Year Member

    Jun 25, 2000
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    San Juan Bautista appears in the WHO publication list. so all 4 puertorricans med schools are listed.
  6. Stephen Ewen

    Stephen Ewen 10+ Year Member

    Indeed. Grads there are hence eligible to go through ECFMG process.

Share This Page