Forbidden Questions: Drop MD portion? Payback?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by CaNEM, Aug 9, 2002.

1. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

These are the kind of questions you can't ask at an interview, or they'll boot you right out the door. They are important, though, so I'll ask them here. I think I mentioned one once but didn't get much of an answer.

If you are accepted to an MD/PhD program, then change your mind, can you accept the MD seat (w/o any funding, of course) but decline the PhD position? Are there differences between schools?

Also, I have heard that the NIH funded MSTP programs do not require payback of either stipend or tuition from MD/PhD droppouts. Is this true? What about non-NIH programs? Which do/don't require payback, and for tuition or stipend or both?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Yes, different schools have different policies regarding dropping the MD/PhD and payback. There is no consensus other than NIH-funded MSTPs no longer require payback.

This question has been talked about before on some thread. You can also find more information at my MD/PhD Haven web site:
    http://go.to/mdphd

Happy browsing... :D

4. none

none 1K Member

Non-MST Programs very often do require payback.