CaNEM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Status
These are the kind of questions you can't ask at an interview, or they'll boot you right out the door. They are important, though, so I'll ask them here. I think I mentioned one once but didn't get much of an answer.

If you are accepted to an MD/PhD program, then change your mind, can you accept the MD seat (w/o any funding, of course) but decline the PhD position? Are there differences between schools?

Also, I have heard that the NIH funded MSTP programs do not require payback of either stipend or tuition from MD/PhD droppouts. Is this true? What about non-NIH programs? Which do/don't require payback, and for tuition or stipend or both?

Thanks!

Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Yes, different schools have different policies regarding dropping the MD/PhD and payback. There is no consensus other than NIH-funded MSTPs no longer require payback.

This question has been talked about before on some thread. You can also find more information at my MD/PhD Haven web site:
http://go.to/mdphd

Happy browsing... :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads