Forego MD/DO applications this cycle and do SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RipSpamilton

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'd like your input if you'd be so kind. I've recently been offered an acceptance to a SMP with a guaranteed interview to their medical school (If I met their GPA/MCAT guidelines by graduation). I was wondering if I should forego the Medical School application process (saving the money from apps) and and just bank on the SMP. The reason I ask is due to my situation which I tried to consolidate below.

I spent 4 Years in community college (It's crazy, I know. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life):
Failed a class, retook many (got A's), withdrew from a lot of classes, etc. Graduating with a cumulative GPA of 2.98.

Spent 3 years in a private university, graduating w/ magna cum laude, honors program grad, research
3.74 GPA. (super upward trend = 4.0 GPA my last two years, full of upper level science courses like molecular bio, molecular endocrinology, immunology).

Total Cumulative GPA: 3.38
MCAT: Scheduled for September 4 (504 fl1, 506 fl2)

Grades for Prereq's
Gen Chem I : B Gen Chem II: B
Gen Bio I: A Gen Bio II: A
Orgo I: A Orgo II: A
Physics I: A- Physics II: A-
Writing I: A Writing II: B+

I am Filipino (I guess ORM) and came from an adverse situation (had a prior post with details).
Assume many strong LOR'S, 150+ Shadowing experience, Research (research team leader w/ thesis), many diverse extracurriculars, and (what I've been told) a compelling backstory to medicine.

Should I just forego applications this cycle (both MD/DO) and accept the SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without a MCAT score it is a difficult decision to make. You could receive interviews at DO schools if your MCAT is at least 505.