Foreign clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javan799

Reaction score
Okay so some backstory is that my great aunt had a dream about setting up a clinic in her village so after she was diagnosed with cancer some of my uncles and aunts helped make that a reality for her. I would go visit her in the summertime bc my parents didn't know how long she would last and wanted to make sure I spent time with her before she passed on. I kind of grew up working in that clinic because she ended up always volunteering there. As I grew older I also ended up volunteering and helping the nurses do minor things like triage, aftercare, and I even learned how to do stitches and stuff like that (very much not legal but it was a different country with much less strict rules so...) Also as I grew older I helped set up a sort of women's center at the clinic so that women could learn about women's health, sex, and have other resources. I want to mention this in my med school app and how it really pushed me to want to become a primary care doctor. This experience definitely helped shape me into the person I am today but I don't want to make it sound like any other "I volunteered in a poor country and it totally changed me" story. How should I approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so some backstory is that my great aunt had a dream about setting up a clinic in her village so after she was diagnosed with cancer some of my uncles and aunts helped make that a reality for her. I would go visit her in the summertime bc my parents didn't know how long she would last and wanted to make sure I spent time with her before she passed on. I kind of grew up working in that clinic because she ended up always volunteering there. As I grew older I also ended up volunteering and helping the nurses do minor things like triage, aftercare, and I even learned how to do stitches and stuff like that (very much not legal but it was a different country with much less strict rules so...) Also as I grew older I helped set up a sort of women's center at the clinic so that women could learn about women's health, sex, and have other resources. I want to mention this in my med school app and how it really pushed me to want to become a primary care doctor. This experience definitely helped shape me into the person I am today but I don't want to make it sound like any other "I volunteered in a poor country and it totally changed me" story. How should I approach this?
I think it would be an interesting addition to your med school app as long as you also have clinical experience in the US.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought this was my post lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users