Foreign degree, US community college, Harvard Post Bacc , Stanford Graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvyLeagueGunnin0920

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post so please bear with this noob. I am concerned about my chances at a US MD school. My situation is a little messed up. I used to be an international student here in the US. I graduated from a foreign university with a horrific GPA of 2.64. I then earned an associates degree from a US community college ( 118 credits , this was not a desperation move as it was necessary to be qualified for an American Society of Clinical Pathology certification exam combined with my bachelors degree). I graduated with a 4.0 GPA for Biology, Chemistry, Physics , Mathematics and 4.0 for All Others. After this I took a post-baccalaureate pre-medical program at Harvard Extension School worth 30 credits, and graduated with with a 4.0 GPA. I then proceeded with a graduate degree from Stanford and finished with a 3.95 GPA. I am now an American Citizen with military and clinical work experience, 3 publications , volunteer experience with WHO, and championships in college chorale, swimming and track and field , and a 520 for the new MCAT. As far as life story goes , I was born in poverty and did not perform well in school initially because I was raised in a very violent environment where surviving crushing poverty is an accomplishment, yet alone finishing college. Despite all this I carried the dream of being a doctor in my heart since I was very young after watching everyone around me die, though I believed at the time that for someone like me, this would only be a fantasy. I came to the US to study on a loan sponsored by a sort of foster parent of mine, my mother's ex boyfriend who was an American and understood my situation and my dreams. I finished my associates here, got a job, did research , went to school some more , got taken care of by the Army and well, here I am.

At this point, does it matter that I used to be a jackass foreigner with a ridiculous bachelors degree GPA of 2.64? I know that for AMCAS the US GPA is the only thing that matters, I hope the same can be said for US MD schools. Is the fact that my only US undergrad credits ( aside from Harvard post-bacc ) are from a community college very detestable for ADCOMS?

Also, I really do apologize for my display name "IvyLeagueGunnin0920". I am completely aware that it is the douchiest thing in all of humanity and I am humiliated. It was not me who made this account, it was my sister. I promise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If this is a true story and not a :troll:post, then, based on your grades and your school pedigree, you can get into a US MD school--no problem.

I am concerned about my foreign grades plus on the undergraduate section of the AMCAS application, I will only have community college grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am concerned about my foreign grades plus on the undergraduate section of the AMCAS application, I will only have community college grades.

Carefully read the AMCAS manual (or call) and past threads. I believe your foreign grades are not counted towards the GPA unless they are on a US transcript (i.e. summer study abroad).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, this is my first post so please bear with this noob. I am concerned about my chances at a US MD school. My situation is a little messed up. I used to be an international student here in the US. I graduated from a foreign university with a horrific GPA of 2.64. I then earned an associates degree from a US community college ( 118 credits , this was not a desperation move as it was necessary to be qualified for an American Society of Clinical Pathology certification exam combined with my bachelors degree). I graduated with a 4.0 GPA for Biology, Chemistry, Physics , Mathematics and 4.0 for All Others. After this I took a post-baccalaureate pre-medical program at Harvard Extension School worth 30 credits, and graduated with with a 4.0 GPA. I then proceeded with a graduate degree from Stanford and finished with a 3.95 GPA. I am now an American Citizen with military and clinical work experience, 3 publications , volunteer experience with WHO, and championships in college chorale, swimming and track and field , and a 520 for the new MCAT. As far as life story goes , I was born in poverty and did not perform well in school initially because I was raised in a very violent environment where surviving crushing poverty is an accomplishment, yet alone finishing college. Despite all this I carried the dream of being a doctor in my heart since I was very young after watching everyone around me die, though I believed at the time that for someone like me, this would only be a fantasy. I came to the US to study on a loan sponsored by a sort of foster parent of mine, my mother's ex boyfriend who was an American and understood my situation and my dreams. I finished my associates here, got a job, did research , went to school some more , got taken care of by the Army and well, here I am.

At this point, does it matter that I used to be a jackass foreigner with a ridiculous bachelors degree GPA of 2.64? I know that for AMCAS the US GPA is the only thing that matters, I hope the same can be said for US MD schools. Is the fact that my only US undergrad credits ( aside from Harvard post-bacc ) are from a community college very detestable for ADCOMS?

Also, I really do apologize for my display name "IvyLeagueGunnin0920". I am completely aware that it is the douchiest thing in all of humanity and I am humiliated. It was not me who made this account, it was my sister. I promise.

race?

Your foreign grades don't count, you could have a GPA of 1.0 and it wouldn't matter. Read the AAMC instructions carefully, but I'm sure you either don't have to report them or that they don't factor into your GPA calculations.

Your foreign grades don't count, you could have a GPA of 1.0 and it wouldn't matter. Read the AAMC instructions carefully, but I'm sure you either don't have to report them or that they don't factor into your GPA calculations.
You absolutely do have to report them. They might not factor into the undergrad GPA though, but they are a part of the application. The Harvard extension school grades will be averaged in with the CC undergrad grads. Your Stanford GPA is pretty much irrelevant. Some places won't love the low foreign grades or CC but your ultimate GPA should be fine and your story is interesting.

However based on your screen name I think you may want to rethink things. First, Ivy League is not a term relevant to med schools- that's an undergrad term -- not all Ivy League colleges have med schools and not all of the Ivy League med schools are in the same range on the rankings list. Second, you have enough things on your resume that should require you to keep a more open mind as to where you apply. You'll need to apply to a range and be happy getting into whatever US MD programs deem you a "good fit". If you are holding out for Harvard, Yale etc I actually don't like your chances.

Or alternatively if you are trying to paint HES or Stanford as part of the Ivy League, just stop.

Reactions: 2 users
You absolutely do have to report them. They might not factor into the undergrad GPA though, but they are a part of the application. The Harvard extension school grades will be averaged in with the CC undergrad grads. Your Stanford GPA is pretty much irrelevant. Some places won't love the low foreign grades or CC but your ultimate GPA should be fine and your story is interesting.

However based on your screen name I think you may want to rethink things. First, Ivy League is not a term relevant to med schools- that's an undergrad term -- not all Ivy League colleges have med schools and not all of the Ivy League med schools are in the same range on the rankings list. Second, you have enough things on your resume that should require you to keep a more open mind as to where you apply. You'll need to apply to a range and be happy getting into whatever US MD programs deem you a "good fit". If you are holding out for Harvard, Yale etc I actually don't like your chances.

Or alternatively if you are trying to paint HES or Stanford as part of the Ivy League, just stop.
I am very aware that the screen name is the douchiest thing on Earth, I did apologize for it in the bottom of my post. I do not not how to change it , but my sister is the one that made this account in the first place and she chose that screen name and a picture of the doctor from Family Guy to make fun of me.

I am very aware that the screen name is the douchiest thing on Earth, I did apologize for it in the bottom of my post. I do not not how to change it , but my sister is the one that made this account in the first place and she chose that screen name and a picture of the doctor from Family Guy to make fun of me.

You know that you could, like, not use the account your sister created and create your own. Unless you want to lose the legacy of your nine posts.

Reactions: 3 users