Foreign Doctor to PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrie123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a couple questions. My aunt wants to come to the US and get admitted into a PA program. She has an MBBS (the equivalent of MD), and has been practicing for over 20 years. The problem is that she went straight from high school to the MBBS program, so she doesn't have the undergraduate coursework needed and the gpa. We know a few people who have done this before, but we have no idea how to go about the process in this situation. Are there any programs in the US that would be open to this kind of applicant?

I know it sounds weird going from doctor to PA, but the other route would be taking the USMLE and doing residency and it seems that she just does not want to do this.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong place!:(

Members don't see this ad.

if she has all the prereqs she will be a competitive applicant to many programs. she will have to do the entire program without any adv. standing credit.

if she has all the prereqs she will be a competitive applicant to many programs. she will have to do the entire program without any adv. standing credit.

Thank you for your reply! She has only been to medical school, so she does not have any undergraduate coursework.. just an MBBS (MD), so is there no way to gain admission without undergrad level classes?:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you would have to call them individually to find out?

Thank you for your reply! She has only been to medical school, so she does not have any undergraduate coursework.. just an MBBS (MD), so is there no way to gain admission without undergrad level classes?:(
she would need to meet all prereqs just like any other applicant. some of her coursework might meet prereq requirements. as above contact individual programs to inquire.

Hey guys, I got a couple questions. My aunt wants to come to the US and get admitted into a PA program. She has an MBBS (the equivalent of MD), and has been practicing for over 20 years. The problem is that she went straight from high school to the MBBS program, so she doesn't have the undergraduate coursework needed and the gpa. We know a few people who have done this before, but we have no idea how to go about the process in this situation. Are there any programs in the US that would be open to this kind of applicant?

I know it sounds weird going from doctor to PA, but the other route would be taking the USMLE and doing residency and it seems that she just does not want to do this.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong place!:(

Why not kindly suggest she take the USMLE? As long as she passes and not an odd ball then she should be able to match a low tier IM or FM residency.

This seems like a better route due to being paid as a resident, no school, and am independent license after a 3yr residency(which would be a little longer than PA)

Wow what a humbling experience this would be.

Friend's mom was foreign ENT for 10ish years. Came to USA and did IM residency.

What a golden hire the OP's aunt would be as a PA.

her transcript will have to be reviewed by ETS or another reputable agency and in most cases, an MBBS is translated to be the level of a US bachelor's degree.

There is no ways in the world shr can get admission to PA school. They require all prereqs done in the us "within 5 years" . Long time ago, there is a program in Florida state that allowed foreign docs to take exams to be licensed as PA, but they discontinued it. She can take usmle step 1, 2, 3.and wait to have luck get in residency programs.

There is no ways in the world shr can get admission to PA school. They require all prereqs done in the us "within 5 years" . Long time ago, there is a program in Florida state that allowed foreign docs to take exams to be licensed as PA, but they discontinued it. She can take usmle step 1, 2, 3.and wait to have luck get in residency programs.

This isn't entirely true. There are plenty of schools that don't have a time limit on prereqs, and they certainly don't have to be done in the US for all PA programs.

Can you give some schools as examples?

Yale PA program specifically states that they have no time limit on prereqs. There are plenty more, but I'll let you do that research. It is also well documented that some universities will transfer international courses if you can show equivalency. I've not specifically seen it done for PA programs, but I've seen it happen many times to achieve undergrad degrees, so I assume PA programs within those same places would have the same policy.

i know someone who went through this pathway and they are perfectly happy being a PA. I suppose if you were an old doc from a foreign country, this route or the direct-entry FNP programs are probably your safer bets to be able to practice medicine and bypass the residency hurdle (although i don't condone this, residency training is still gold-standard to achieving clinical mastery)

Need your advice....
I'm an MD in the Philippines and with basic course of occupational Medicine. have no residency training. I'm thinking of moving to Texas and was told by a friend that studying PA is an option besides taking the USMLE. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks !!!

Need your advice....
I'm an MD in the Philippines and with basic course of occupational Medicine. have no residency training. I'm thinking of moving to Texas and was told by a friend that studying PA is an option besides taking the USMLE. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks !!!

It's a possibility but I would attempt the USMLE first because as long as you pass on the first attempt you can at the very least get a residency in an undesirable area but will enjoy the benefits of being a doc after you finish.

agree with above. you went to medschool. try to pass usmle before any other options...