Foreign Fourth Year Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAdoc

GAdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't visited the site lately, but they've made it look nice. I used to post a lot as a pre-med. Now, I'm in med school and can't seem to find the time...

I was wondering if any of you have done 4th year electives in other countries or if you've considered them. I think it would be amazing to do an elective rotation in a country like England or France. If anyone knows where I could get some info. on this or if you have personal experiences, I'd love to hear about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya, England - I'd be quite interested in any info about that too! Or any other English-only-speaker friendly rotations in Europe, for that matter.

I'm planning on going to England. At my school though, you basically have to set everything up yourself. I'll be contacting my friends who are doctors there for help with getting a rotation set up. Some of the med schools may let foreign students come, or possibly people at your schools may have contacts to help set up a rotation there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you say you're going to be in England? If so, do you mind telling me which hospital? I know my school will be fine letting me do it...its simply a question of getting things arranged.

I would think it would be a common thing for American med students to want to rotate through foreign hospitals...especially those with social health care since that seems to be looming on the horizen for this country! If anyone knows of specific foreign hospitals with programs especially for American students I would love to hear about it.

Did you say you're going to be in England? If so, do you mind telling me which hospital? I know my school will be fine letting me do it...its simply a question of getting things arranged.

I would think it would be a common thing for American med students to want to rotate through foreign hospitals...especially those with social health care since that seems to be looming on the horizen for this country! If anyone knows of specific foreign hospitals with programs especially for American students I would love to hear about it.

I don't know where my friends work. I just know it's in London. Sorry.

I have been to a hospital in Chelsea when one of my other friends was a med student at Imperial, that's a really nice hospital. It looks like a mall.

I had a pipe dream of doing a visiting rotation at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London (aka the Peter Pan hospital).

But alas... our school doesn't permit any rotations out of the country and I'm not entirely sure if GOSH offers visiting rotations to american students.