Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Foreign graduates guarantee

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by mrsdawes, Jun 28, 2002.

1. mrsdawes

mrsdawes Junior Member

If i am a graduate of one of the medical schools in the state but i am not permanent citizen, will the state guarantee a residency for me in the state?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    No. If you are a graduate of a US medical school, you are very likely to get a residency. However, you might have some trouble with getting a visa.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    There are NO guarantees and any school that tells you otherwise is lying. As a graduate of a US school you may very well have little trouble getting a residency, but I alone know at least 3 people who are US citizens, US grads who had trouble matching.

5. flpostbac

flpostbac Member

Hi Kimberly,

I have followed a few of your posts in this forum and have found them to be quite helpful...so thank you. Also, congrats on such a respectable residency. I would like to know how you made it. What do you feel were the qualities that helped you most in succeeding in medical school and beyond? Lastly, what med school did you attend?

Thanks for any help,

soon to be medical student