Foreign Language Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kraus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many school require or recommend a foreign language, but to graduate I must take 4 semesters worth of a language. I am going to take Spanish because I took 4 years in high school. The problem is, Spanish at the University of Arizona is next to impossible to make A's in. Do you think Adcoms will penalize me for taking my Spanish at Pima college (local community college, but very large)?

They offer a month long course / semester of Spanish, and I hear it is easier. What should I do?

Thanks in advance,
Kraus

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that at the University of Miami to get in you have to know Spanish????

Thanks,
KM

I don't know if that rumor is true, but I know that in Miami period, most people know at least a little spanglish. There are a number of signs and resteraunts and things is spanish, it would be to your advantage to know it. I am not sure againif UM requires this, I beleive for admission they would like for HS student to have some years of FLanguage, but not sure. I will check for you..:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Chica...I'm actually pretty sure they do now since on their frequently asked questions website it says: I heard you have to know Spanish to be accepted to U of Miami, is this true? Then goes on to give the answer in Spanish....go figure!! Not all of us took Spanish!! I'd love to go there, must be nice to be under the palm trees all year round

Best

Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
Thanks Chica...I'm actually pretty sure they do now since on their frequently asked questions website it says: I heard you have to know Spanish to be accepted to U of Miami, is this true? Then goes on to give the answer in Spanish....go figure!! Not all of us took Spanish!! I'd love to go there, must be nice to be under the palm trees all year round

Best

Yes, but what it actually says is:

They told me at the University of Florida that I'd have to learn Spanish to go to medical school in Miami.

and the answer is:

Nuestros buenos amigos en la Universidad de Florida no saben de lo que hablan

which means "Our good friends at the University of Florida don't know what they're talking about"

...which, although humorous, is a pretty uninformative way to let people that *don't* speak Spanish know that its not necessary.....

...although perhaps the point is that its not necessary, but evidently would be useful for occasions such as this - that you will encounter fairly simply Spanish at some point in clinic etc....

Point being, it seems like while it's not required, it'd would probably be a Good Thing(tm).

Thank you Boy Wonder for answering, for me, an unanswerable question! I am extremely glad to hear it is not a requirement!! At least I have the opportunity to apply now (I was going to actually call their office just to check)! But as you and another poster noted, it would be helpful to know Spanish. On the other hand, for me they are going to have to get a translator! I look at that as helping someone else get a job!

Thanks again