Foreign MD to US MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifancymee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a 4th year med student in Hungary (6-year English program).
I wanna do the residency in the US after graduation, but I know the chance of getting into competitive programs is much more difficult for IMG compared to AMG. Therefore, I'm planning to complete my MD program in Hungary first, then apply to another med school in the US.
Anyone knows if it is even possible, provided that I am willing to take the MCAT as well as fulfilling requirements of the basic science subjects in an US college?

Thanks in advanced, :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I don't want to be a troll I'm in the same situation, but why would you start all over again?
and about the basic science you already took those classes since you're going to finish undergrad, so why would you take it again?
All the "pre-med" stuff is easily integrated into European medical curricula.
I'm sure it is possible for you to get in, provided that you are willing to take the MCAT and take all the basic science, but why study so many years and then start all over again, just because you're an IMG?
Don't forget US is like 8 years (4 under grad + 4 med school).

Why not take the USMLE instead? This is what my bf gonna do :) and I don't know the statistics but yes, its hell difficult as an IMG to get matched.

Getting a US residency as an IMG may be difficult, but getting into a US med school when you already have an MD is basically impossible. I don't think any schools would even look at your application, and no one is going to be terribly sympathetic to your desire to take a spot from someone else just so you have an easier time landing a US residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS the primary US MD school application service doesn't take foreign transcripts, but nearly all require that you have a bachelors degree. US MD schools require 60-90 semester hours earned at an accredited US or Canadian undergrad college, including all the prerequisites. (I've heard of 2 that only require only 30 hours.) Further, you'd need a higher-than-average GPA and MCAT score to be competitive as an international applicant (if you're not a US citizen or permanent resident), and you'd need all the usual and customary extracurriculars. Lastly, there is a box you'd need to check on the application if you've ever matriculated at another medical school; many institutions won't consider you if you check it.

You'd be far better off getting high scores on the USMLE tests and attempting to match into a US residency program.

I agree with everyone else. This is absolutely irrational to do. You'll come to the united states to do 8 years of schooling and debt only for a residency program? Also, what's so horrible about medicine in Hungary? Is Hungary an EU member? Could you practice in say England or France or Italy instead? Seems like a colossal waste to come to the US only for a residency.