foreign med school student but has US immigrant status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gracetan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! My problem is basically about my studies. You see, I'm a US immigrant (green card holder), but I chose to go to a medical school here in the Philippines because of financial reasons, and because I also had my premed here in the Philippines. I'm currently a 2nd year med student from a university in Manila. My problem is, I'm hoping to do some of my clerkship rotations in the US, particularly in or near Illinois, but I don't even know if that's allowed and how I could accomplish that. I really need help about this because as a US resident, I'm only allowed a certain amount of time to stay here in the Philippines so I'd have to go back to the US the soonest time possible and stay there for some time so that my US imigrant status would not be revoked even though I spend a lot of time in the Philippines. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about this? Thank you so much. I'd be truly grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

hi grace, what school do you attend?

gracetan...

Your situation from an IMG standpoint is no different than anyone else studying abroad - you are allowed to do visiting final (4th year) electives at many US institutions, but most will not allow you to come during 3rd year for Core rotations unless a formal relationship exists between your school and the US program.

Thus, your visa status notwithstanding, you would apply for final year electives much as anyone else does.

However, it sounds as if you must return to the US before 4th year. Unless your school has formal relationships with US programs I am unsure as to how you would be able to study medicine in the US, or maintain your visa status without taking some time off and simply returning to the US (ie, taking a year off from your medical studies to do, say research, in the US).

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has any suggestions.