Foreign medical graduate doing post-doc in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigPizza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. How do you guys think of someone who is doing a 6 year MD program in a reputable European research institution and he has 6 years of basic science research experience (he did research from M1 to M6) with a couple of publications (not first author though)..and now he wants do a post doc in the USA (NOT residency..basic science post). Thanks.

His degree is a master degree in the Bologna process (European degree system) and its literally master of medicine and surgery. But I guess it's the US MD equivalent anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's this person's end goal? You can find post-doc positions, but this is likely going to be a dead end position in the USA.

Research and teaching at a US university. So FMG --> Post doc --> Assistant processor

It it possible with a US MD degree equivalent?

Research and teaching at a US university. So FMG --> Post doc --> Assistant processor

I personally know someone who has a foreign medical degree, came to the US and did post-doc research, and now has a faculty position at a US university. I don't know, however, how easy or common it is.

Again, think about deli meats.

All kidding aside, foreign PhDs and MDs who have successful research careers often get promoted to faculty in the US. In general their route is a little longer, typically:

FMG -> post doc -> post-doc -> post doc -> asst. Professor.

How about this?

FMG -> PhD -> Post doc -> Faculty?

Might be a longer route, but a doctoral degree from US university with a postdoc might give put you in a better position.

IMG->post doc->US RESIDENT TRAINING->FACULTY is a fast route, on par with US MD-PHD. When it comes to science, the diploma does not matter that much.