Foreign Medical Schools to lose Title IV funds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
JKDMed said:
Looks like the big three will be losing Title IV eligibility. So much for me going to med school.

http://www.valuemd.com/main-foreign...-offshore-schools-may-lose-federal-loans.html

Yup, that's going on all cause one senator decided that anything not red, white, and blue is bad. The good news is that the House has the funds written into it's bill, and the Senate does not so now it's gotta sit in committee to figure out what's going on. If ya wanna know who to write a letter to I have the committee members' names. Plus it doesn't hurt to write to your senator as well.

Although I am Canadian and this does not directly affect me, I am sure that this has more to do with lack of knowledge than intentional malice on the part of the senators.

Hopefully the grassroots letter writing campaign will remind them that Americans will suffer because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Looks like the big three will be losing Title IV eligibility. So much for me going to med school.

http://www.valuemd.com/main-foreign...-offshore-schools-may-lose-federal-loans.html

I wouldnt worry about it. Only one senator (Jeff Sessions - R - Alabama) is the one responsible. He tried to remove the loans in the cover of darkness so nobody would know. The reason he tried to do that is because the vast majority of congressmen are on our side. The congress has continuously voted for our student loans for the last 13 years. The house of reps is on our side, and they voted to keep the loans.

Don't lose sleep. We will have the loans. Believe nothing until it is official.

JKDMed said:

I read all the way up to the 27th page of the post over there and while I didn't read it to carefully it seems that there's a lot of political fighting going on. Senator Edwards is definantly up to no good. It looks like the Senate is trying to remove a grandfather clause that enables students at the big three (SGU, AUC, and Ross) to recieve Stafford loans. This grandfather clause saved the schools in 1991, but it looks like this might soon get removed.

The Senate is for removing the clause, but the House of Rep wants to keep it so I have read.

I'm not going to an off shore school, but I'm thinking this could have bad ramification for the healthcare system.

It seems that this baby is going to go to sleep until next year. Also, we are lucky that this effects all students, thus student's associations all over the country are up in arms.

Will this effect carribean students practicing rights when they return to the US? Effect them in getting residencies?

NRAI2001 said:
Will this effect carribean students practicing rights when they return to the US? Effect them in getting residencies?

No, only in being able to pay for caribbean school. It seems a sneaky way to stop the flow of Caribbean grads from entering US medicine.

JKDMed said:
No, only in being able to pay for caribbean school. It seems a sneaky way to stop the flow of Caribbean grads from entering US medicine.

True, i guess its the first step in maybe a larger series of steps?