Foreign osteopathic medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coreyw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Australian interested in studying osteopathic medicine in the American model. I would love to hear from anybody (i.e. a foreigner like me) who has investigated this possibility from outside the US.

I specifically would like to know how you on earth you propose to/did finance your DO studies?

Oh, and what made you decide to study osteopathic medicine in the US... considering it's probably going to be a lot cheaper to study medicine (or osteopathy/chiropractic for that matter) in your home country if you're an Aussie, Pom, Kiwi, Canuck, etc. ?

Really, I just want to know the path of least resistance...

thanks
Corey

Members don't see this ad.

I have to admit, I don't know anything about foreigners studying osteopathic medicine in the US. I will say though, that think very carefully before you do this, because currently, No Other Country besides the US recognize the the DO degree or osteopathic medicine degree. An osteopath in every other country does not confer medical licensing or recognition, so you would not be able to return home. The only place right now you'd actually be able to practice as you want and as you would be trained is the US. This would bring about all the problems of visa, etc.

leorl said:
I have to admit, I don't know anything about foreigners studying osteopathic medicine in the US. I will say though, that think very carefully before you do this, because currently, No Other Country besides the US recognize the the DO degree or osteopathic medicine degree. An osteopath in every other country does not confer medical licensing or recognition, so you would not be able to return home. The only place right now you'd actually be able to practice as you want and as you would be trained is the US. This would bring about all the problems of visa, etc.

Leorl, this is innacurate. There are several countries that deny US DO's full practice rights, some that grant them full practice rights, and some (like Australia) that do it on a case by case basis. There's a sticky on the pre-osteopathic forum about this very subject. In addition to that, US DO schools are listed in the WHO's World Directory of Medical Schools. Some countries require schools to be listed in the WHO's directory, and US DO schools will satisfy that requirement.

Corey, I'm glad you're considering US osteopathic schools. You might be disappointed on the level of instruction of OMT compared to Australian DO schools, but you'll learn the American model of medicine in addition to some OMT.

Not all US DO schools accept foreign students. Many require either citizenship or a Green Card. Check with the schools you're interested in (their websites should state this requirement). Unfortunately, in order to be accepted as a foreign student, you have to show proof that you can pay for ALL expenses related to your education. You can provide a notarized bank statement showing you have tons of money in a savings or checking account (about USD $150,000). Or, you can provide proof that you'll get loans or grants from some Australian body (the government, for example). If you cannot provide the school with that proof, you'll not be granted the I-20 document that will allow you to get an F-1 student visa to come to the US.

I came to the US as a foreign student for undergrad (and graduate) studies, so I'm familiar with the process. Keep in mind, however, that I went through the process many (MANY) years ago, so rules might have changed a bit. Check this website for the official information on how to go about entering the US as a student: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/hdiforeign.htm

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.