Foreign pharmacist wanting to move to the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hasdrubal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am from Spain. I graduated in Pharmacy 2 years ago, and since then I have enrolled in a Ph D program in Toxicology.

The educational system here is different from the one in the US, we start our degrees after high school, so there's no undergraduate/bachelor. Pharmacy school consists of about 5 and a half years, between what's lab and class and then internship/residence. Do you think this would qualify as a PharmD? Where can I check this?

also, after taking FPGEE, it's mandatory to also take NAPLEX, right? could you give a sucint explanation of what they are about?

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

you need to get on this website nabp.net. you will find all the info you need. But basically you need to send in your documents to the national board for review. later they will authorize you to sit for the FPGEE. Once you pass that and the TOFEL. You have to do an internship( usually around 1500 hours) it varys from state to state. After that you have to sit for the NAPLEX and MPJE(state law) and you are good to go.
Don't worry as long as you have been in school for 5 years they will accept you credentials.

you need to get on this website nabp.net. you will find all the info you need. But basically you need to send in your documents to the national board for review. later they will authorize you to sit for the FPGEE. Once you pass that and the TOFEL. You have to do an internship( usually around 1500 hours) it varys from state to state. After that you have to sit for the NAPLEX and MPJE(state law) and you are good to go.
Don't worry as long as you have been in school for 5 years they will accept you credentials.

Hi, Im a graduate of Liverpool John Moores University Pharmacy Program. I just recieved my Master's in Pharmacy degree from the school which is a 4 year program. I know currently the requirements have changed in america where they now require a 5 year degree as a pose to a 4 year degree. But i have read through some articles that in some cases they will accept their 4 year degree and consider their A-level as an additional year.

Just to give you some background, so you can help me further. Before enrolling to the masters program in England for pharmacy, I did my pre-pharmacy degree in Michigan at Ferris State university for three years.

So if someone can guide me and tell me whether i will be entitled to write the exams in america, or if not what else can i do to get into the states. Thank you for any help.

Hi, I am from Spain. I graduated in Pharmacy 2 years ago, and since then I have enrolled in a Ph D program in Toxicology.

The educational system here is different from the one in the US, we start our degrees after high school, so there's no undergraduate/bachelor. Pharmacy school consists of about 5 and a half years, between what's lab and class and then internship/residence. Do you think this would qualify as a PharmD? Where can I check this?

also, after taking FPGEE, it's mandatory to also take NAPLEX, right? could you give a sucint explanation of what they are about?

cheers

Your degree must be evaluated by a private credentials evaluation organization (the list of approved organization is available via NABP) and once your degree is deemed equivalent to a US Pharmacy degree you may be eligible to take the FPGEE (Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination). If you pass this exam, you have to complete the TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test) with qualifying scores. The TOEFL iBT must be taken in the USA. When all these items are complete, the NABP will grant you the FPGEC (Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee) certificate.

With the FPGEC certificate you can apply to become a licensed pharmacist in the state you wish to practice pharmacy. Different states have different requirements. Almost all states require that you become an intern and furnish at least 1000 hours of internship under a licensed preceptor before you are eligible for the NAPLEX and MPJE.

For more thorough information you may visit: http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/fpgec/

Good luck!