Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Foreign Schools and doctors

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by ljube_02, Nov 17, 2002.

1. ljube_02

ljube_02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I heard about Uk, Sweden, Germany, Israel schools. How much would they cost for a just-usa citizen? Do you apply after your 4yr undergrad degree for their 4 year program, or you can apply after 2 years, for their 6 yr program, or some other option? Must you learn their language if not in UK? Can you practice in the respective countries after graduation, if you want? How hard to go back to usa for a competitive specialty?

If you're u.s. citizen and you marry a eu woman, do you become eu citizen automatically? How about the woman, does she get the green card, even if you both live in eu at the time?

What are the salaries of docs in various specialties in the following countries:
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    France
    and any other exotic countries?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ljube_02

ljube_02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

More questions:
    If you are certified to practice in UK does it mean you are also certified in all other EU countries? How are doctors respected in EU?

4. BellKicker

BellKicker Twisted Miler
    7+ Year Member

Wow, that's a lot of questions.

SInce your primary concern will be to get into a school, how 'bout we start there.

Yes, you will have to learn the language. Yes, it's damn hard. My wife is American. She just got into a school last year after 5 years of trying to pass the language test. So go to UK/Ireland or, even better, stay in your own country (the US, was it?) and get your degree there. The whole IMG issue isn't as rigid here as in the US.

I don't think you can get any credit for the 6 year program. I have many class-mates with undergrad degrees. The lucky ones got like one semester worth of credits but the classes were spread out so instead of skipping a semester they had a light semester here and there.

Now for the good news. There are plenty of jobs for doctors. If you graduate from the US (like I suggested) you could walk straight into a residency. Or you could work a while and make up your mind about a specialty. That's the single biggest difference. Here, you can work your whole life as a doctor and never enter a resicency!

Pay (and now I'm only speaking for Denmark and probably Sweden, too) is more for residents and less for anyone else. Doctors top out at 100-120 K regardless of specialty. In fact, FPs probably make a little more than hospitalists, which will probably shock you. A resident works 37 hour weeks and every extra hour
    is rewarded handsomely. If a resident cared to work 100 hours a week, he would walk away with around 100K a year.

Respect? Maybe a little less than in the US. We don't call doctors doctor (except nurses from Eastern Europe and they even call the med students doctor, gaad that feels weird). We don't sue doctors so often but oftentimes a medical blunder will make national headlines in the tabloids.

Gotta go. Take care.

5. drpardha

drpardha New Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I am a medical graduate from India (MBBS) with 4-year experience as resident in all clinical specialities. I want to work in denmark. For that I heard I have to get employed as Locum/trainee in Denmark. I don't know Danish but willing to join Danish course once I arrive there. What are my chances of getting employement/ My degree is 4.5 years school and 1 year internship. Without Danish skills is it possible to get employement? nPlease advise me how to go about it/ My e-mail ID is: [email protected]
    Thanks in advance,
    Dr.P.S. Chelikani

6. BellKicker

BellKicker Twisted Miler
    7+ Year Member

Dr. Pardha,

I wrote you an e-mail.