foreign student question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxihogea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Im currently enrolled at a University of Medicine in Romania.
Im going to start my rd year this fall, but after visitin the US I've become interested in transfering over here.

i havent yet done enough research, but this forum seems to be working really well, so here's my question: whats the best chance I have of coming to the US to study to become a MD? Is there a way to transfer some of the credits I earned back home?
Im also unsure of how the medical schooling system works in the US so please throw any advice you can my way :)

thank you very much
Max

Members don't see this ad.

maxihogea said:
Hi! Im currently enrolled at a University of Medicine in Romania.
Im going to start my rd year this fall, but after visitin the US I've become interested in transfering over here.

i havent yet done enough research, but this forum seems to be working really well, so here's my question: whats the best chance I have of coming to the US to study to become a MD? Is there a way to transfer some of the credits I earned back home?
Im also unsure of how the medical schooling system works in the US so please throw any advice you can my way :)

thank you very much
Max

There are a number of barriers to transferring.

1) There are very few spots available, as the graduation rate from US schools is in the upper 90%.
2) The competition for those few spots at universities that accept foreign transfers is intense.
3) Schools that accept foreign transfers typically require that the student has pre-med statistics (e.g. Bachelor's, MCAT, etc.) that would have made them competitive for admission. In addition, state schools who have openings and allow foreign transfers give preference to residents of those particular states.
4) Step 1 of the USMLE is required. Only high to exceptional scores will be cause one to be considered.

ok i think i phrased the questions wrong.

I dont necessarily want to transfer, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to be accepted in a US Medical school. I dont mind having to re-learn the first years of my University, as you are probably right about them not being recognised or not having an us-equivalent.

so let me pout the question this way:
im currently enrolled at a no-us university. what are the steps i need to take in order to be accepted at a us medical school? what is the time requirement to do this?

from what i have already read, my chances are increased if i attend a us college. should i go on that path (meaning taking the SATs and applying to a college? does the college matter (meaning, does it's fame matter)? do i have to graduate or just finish the required courses?) and after finishing the prerequested courses take the MCAT?
the other option is to take the USMLE (the steps) after i finish the university in my country. do the grades at university exams matter for the USMLE? as you can probably tell I'm a bit confused about the step exams

thank you

maxihogea said:
ok i think i phrased the questions wrong.

I dont necessarily want to transfer, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to be accepted in a US Medical school. I dont mind having to re-learn the first years of my University, as you are probably right about them not being recognised or not having an us-equivalent.

so let me pout the question this way:
im currently enrolled at a no-us university. what are the steps i need to take in order to be accepted at a us medical school? what is the time requirement to do this?

Typically speaking, you need a four year U.S. undergraduate university degree (any discipline will do) as long as you meet pre-requirements in the sciences. You'd need a very high grade point average and an excellent MCAT score along with good recommendations. That would then allow you to apply for a US medical school (considered graduate education).

If you gain admission (supercompetitive), you have to complete four years of medical school before applying for residency programs.

from what i have already read, my chances are increased if i attend a us college. should i go on that path (meaning taking the SATs and applying to a college? does the college matter (meaning, does it's fame matter)? do i have to graduate or just finish the required courses?) and after finishing the prerequested courses take the MCAT?
the other option is to take the USMLE (the steps) after i finish the university in my country. do the grades at university exams matter for the USMLE? as you can probably tell I'm a bit confused about the step exams

thank you

I don't know which year you are in. Either way, if you've started a six year program, a much shorter route to getting your medical degree recognized is ECFMG certification.

See f_w's reply on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=225930 for how to go about doing that.

The only thing I would recommend differently is taking Step 1 of the USMLE after you've completed the basic sciences (e.g. after Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, etc...) and not wait until graduation. See www.ecfmg.org for more information.