Foreign trained dentist wanting to specialize in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patati

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have recently graduated from a dental school in Sweden and am intrested in doing my speciality in ortho in the US. I am also intrested in practicing ortho in the US after completion of the spcialization program. I have been looking for answers which state I would be able to do this. Has anybody here done this, could I please get some help on which states, and schools I have better chances getting in to and that make it possible to be able to practice in the US after?. The only exams I've done is the TOEFL so I know NBDE Parts I & II would be the next step right? All information I could get would be of big help.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Patati.

Yes, you are correct. NBDE I & II should be next on your list.

I should caution you about a couple of things;

1. It is by and large difficult for foreign graduates to get into most specialty programs in the US.

2. Ortho is one of the most demanded and most competitive specialties in the US, top 3, and in turn makes it next to impossible to get a position with your foreign degree.

3. It is already pretty difficult for US graduates to get into ortho programs, so you can see why even the most qualified foreign graduate may be easily marginalized in the application process. YOU MUST REALLY STAND OUT, in order to get some attention.

But still, there is hope. The ball is in your court.
If you want to have any kind of shot at an ortho program, without having to go through an advanced standing program first, here is what you need to do:

1. Make sure to score at least %90's (%95+ would be ideal) on your part NBDE I.

2. Concentrate on those ortho programs which already have foreign graduates. It makes the process much more familiar to them, and significantly increases your own chances.

3. Plan on doing at least 2 years of ortho related research at the program/school which you feel is most likely you will be attending. This is probably your best shot at making yourself noticeable to them, and proving your dedication.

4. You will also need pretty strong recommendations from the doctors which you will have worked with during your research. Basically saying, this is the best we have seen yet.

Of course your second option is going through an advanced standing program first, graduating with a DDS/DMD.
You will still have to be pretty competitive among your class in order to land an ortho spot (%90+, top %10 of your class, strong recommendations, some research experience).
However, this will significantly increase your chances for matching (having a DDS/DMD).

So as you see, it is possible, but there is an up-hill battle ahead of you.

As far as licensure goes, I would not worry about that for now. Once you get one foot into an ortho program, you will have 2 years to figure that out.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions, without sounding too pessimistic.

Good Luck.

Hi I have recently graduated from a dental school in Sweden and am intrested in doing my speciality in ortho in the US. I am also intrested in practicing ortho in the US after completion of the spcialization program. I have been looking for answers which state I would be able to do this. Has anybody here done this, could I please get some help on which states, and schools I have better chances getting in to and that make it possible to be able to practice in the US after?. The only exams I've done is the TOEFL so I know NBDE Parts I & II would be the next step right? All information I could get would be of big help.
Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Nile BDS
Your reply has been very helpfull. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh god , that's mean i've no chances in us to get my Msc in ortho :((

I ´m in the same situation but I want to do Prosthodontics, what can I do?

Hi Nile,
Do all speciality programs and esp. Ortho residency require a GRE score and if how much ? What about UOP? do you have many foreign graduates in the program? I see on their website they want GRE scores besides NBDE part 1 and 2.

Hi Nile,
Do all speciality programs and esp. Ortho residency require a GRE score and if how much ? What about UOP? do you have many foreign graduates in the program? I see on their website they want GRE scores besides NBDE part 1 and 2.

Not all of them. Even if it is not required, it can only make your application look better. I honestly do not know about Pacific's ortho requirements.

They traditionally hold 2 spots open every year for foreign trained dentists, but they almost only accept FTD's who have contributed a significant amount of research to their own department, and have great connections with our faculty. E-mail the ortho department for more specifics.

Reactions: 1 user