Foreigner interested in US medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnetrocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

My cousin is currently in high school in Israel (she is an Israeli citizen) but is interested in ultimately going to medical school in the US...

...other than going to college in the US, what would be her options if she did undergrad in Israel?

From my preliminary reading on this topic, it seems that DO schools might accept foreign pre-med requirements but MD schools don't? Or does it depend on the invidiual schools?

Would she have to take the TOEFL? Or would the MCAT be sufficient to prove her English skills?

Any advice about visa / immigration status?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My cousin is currently in high school in Israel (she is an Israeli citizen) but is interested in ultimately going to medical school in the US...
Assume that US medical education has a price tag of at least $250k. For foreign nationals, who aren't eligible for US federal aid, med school will typically require deposits up front.

Note that it makes little sense to get a US medical education with the intent to practice outside the US, financially or logistically.
...other than going to college in the US, what would be her options if she did undergrad in Israel?
A list:
1. Be generally extraordinary. There are very few non-Canadian foreign nationals in US med schools. Those that get in are absolutely stunning candidates, such as PhDs who've published in US/UK journals.
2. Plan ahead for foreign transcript evaluation. Lead times are long.
3. Spend time acquiring assets in the US, such as hospital volunteering and/or summer research/service opportunities. Do a study abroad year+ here. Exposure to the *US* healthcare system is mandatory - it's a truly unique and monstrous profit-driven phenomenon here.
4. Find a comparable mentor in the US that recently started and/or finished US med school as a foreign national.
From my preliminary reading on this topic, it seems that DO schools might accept foreign pre-med requirements but MD schools don't? Or does it depend on the invidiual schools?
Depends on the school. You're competing against the highest hopes and dreams of every ambitious US parent and child - there's no tangible motivation to take a foreign national at a US med school. 55% of qualified US candidates are rejected every year.
Would she have to take the TOEFL? Or would the MCAT be sufficient to prove her English skills?
Assume TOEFL. US-based activities can result in US-based letters of recommendation.
Any advice about visa / immigration status?
Med school is a student visa but residency is a work visa.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless she becomes a permanent US resident, it's not really a viable option.

In Europe I've met 2 medical students who are from Israel.

I'm sure your cousin already knows that she could start medical school immediately after high school at outstanding European medical schools, and not have to wait, and not have to pay tuition.

Quite honestly, I wonder why she would want to spend 4 undergrad years filled with uncertainty and a quarter million dollars when she has other great options.